shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiants

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Hello, all.

I decided to come here to get info because I seem to be getting a lot of contradictory info in "the industry." I''m looking for the most bang for my buck as well.

I''m looking at a Radiant cut stone. (love them!) Here are the specs on one in particular. I''m not familiar enough to know for sure, but it seems fairly shallow to me. Is it? Also, what''s the REAL lowdown on girdle? Is that something you see or not? Also, I was told by a respectable jeweler that when sacrificing on color (G is what''s listed) that looking for a stone with a slight blue flour. will bake the stone whiter. I live in a very rural area and it seems like everyone is a "know-it-all". The jewelers have been in business for a long time, but I''m afraid they haven''t kept up with the times. Any help would be SO appreciated.

Shape: Radiant

Carat Weight: .089

Color: G

Clarity: SI1

Graded By: GIA

Cut Grade: Premium

Depth: 65.1%

Table: 76%

Girdle: Thin to Extremely Thick

Culet: None

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Good

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 6.36 x 5.18 x 3.37

Length / Width Ratio: 1.23

Thanks in advance for any and all info!
Angie

BTW-this is to set atop a three row pave band. Will a stone get "lost" when surrounded by so much pave? (this is an anniversary type ring, not an engagement ring)

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Not an expert on radiants, but I think the table is way to huge. And it''s a little shallow.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, the table is way out there unfortunately. I doubt it would be a real winner...

Here's a chart that may help guide you, although with fancies, nothing is written in stone. So if a vendor finds one that doesn't fall under the best specs, but they give it a good report, please don't dismiss it right away.
2.gif

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

The measurements you have given are no cause for great alarm. It's ever so slightly on the shallow side (I know others will disagree)and the table is a little large for me but as long as it doesn't have a window (a lifeless spot looking from top where you can actually see through the diamond)this could be a plus. The diamond could face up bigger than the carat weight would suggest! That being said anything but rounds and possibly princess cuts are difficult to give advice on based on measurements alone. There are so many variables involved. A radiant can be faceted many different ways. Sometimes the corners are big and sometimes not. Sometimes you look through the table you can see faceting that resembles a round cut with a white circle reflecting back at you (not my favorite). On suggestion that might be helpful is do a google image search for radiants and print out what you you like in terms of facet arrangements and show your jeweler. Then once he finds you one that looks like the picture, post the dimensions here. You'll get a lot of good advice on recommended dimensions and if the one the jeweler found you is close go for it if the the price is right!

Good luck

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
One thing I forgot to mention with all the talk about depth percentages and table size is to have a look at the girdle of the diamond you listed under magnification. There seems to be quite a variance there.

Best,

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your help. I''m going to google images and look at the link to hopefully give me some more direction. My biggest problem is ordering online. I don''t know if there are places that you can actually see YOUR diamond, not just a sample. It''s hard for a non-connoisseur to buy off specs alone!

Wish me luck!

Angie
36.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
In addition to what everyone else has said...

A properly graded "G"--even in a radiant--shouldn''t have any obvious yellow tint to the normal eye. (By normal I mean the average consumer as opposed to a pro or someone especially color-sensitive.)

As for the pave. I don''t think stones get lost. I, personally, like the look of some sparkle around a stone. However, I would want to inspect a diamond when it''s loose, and not have to peer at it while already set. Settings hide too much.

mikedj72

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/22/2007 7:49:34 PM
Author: Ellen
Yes, the table is way out there unfortunately. I doubt it would be a real winner...

Here''s a chart that may help guide you, although with fancies, nothing is written in stone. So if a vendor finds one that doesn''t fall under the best specs, but they give it a good report, please don''t dismiss it right away.
2.gif

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp

Ellen,

I was searching for a 1.4ct to 1.6ct off that same chart in the "ideal 1A" range and one stone existed, it was in Antwerp. Each of the major online big boys all went on to say the chart was useless. Of course this expanded their options they could sell to me if I threw the chart out the window. I then replied that I was only using it as a starting point. Again, "Don''t even do that, charts mean nothing on fancy cuts." (Paraphrasing of course)

dunndeal, will you look at my numbers in this thread and see if you''d like to give an opinion on the numbers?(Pavillion/Crown)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results