shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help interpreting radiant idealscope, other pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikedj72

Rough_Rock

I''ve listed a Radiant that I''m interested in buying below. I''m posting the IdealScope hoping to get some feedback, I''ve also posted 4 otehr pics on the Diamond. I would have plenty of reference photos if this were round regarding the idealscope, but I don''t have that for a Radiant. So those with eyes to Radiants;-), how do the pics look below? Any complaints so far on the listed specs?

Specs

1.53 Radiant
VS2
F
68.1 Depth
62 Table
Excellent
Excellent
None
1.02 ratio
Thin to Sl. Thck
$11,650

11jjj.jpg

mikedj72

Rough_Rock
Sorry, no clue how to get multiple pics in one post.

33hgjhg.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is first radiant I''ve seen an IScope picture of. I''ve no experience with radiants but boy does it look good. I like the pattern.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 4:35:43 PM
Author: Chrono
Wow, this is first radiant I''ve seen an IScope picture of. I''ve no experience with radiants but boy does it look good. I like the pattern.
I''ve looked at several, and this is defnitely one of the better ones I''ve seen.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
d'ya think it looks a little yellow for an F? lighting? environment?

mikedj72

Rough_Rock
Good question Julie, should I ask for photos on a white paper?

From the reading I've done here, several posters think the radiant shape brings out color shades in a more evident fashion than all other shapes. That was one of my reasons for putting the colorless request in my latest search.

Great to see the feedback, thanks to all that have done so:)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 11:18:08 PM
Author: mikedj72

From the reading I''ve done here, several posters think the radiant shape brings out color shades in a more evident fashion than all other shapes. That was one of my reasons for putting the colorless request in my latest search.

You could, it might help. Also ask the vendor how it faces up.

I had WF send me a photo of some round ACA studs I was getting once, and they looked really yellow, but there was no way it was the stones. They retook them and it was gone. So it could be what Julie suggested.

mikedj72

Rough_Rock
I requested additional photos and reports, should have the info up a little later.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
emthup.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 11:18:08 PM

From the reading I've done here, several posters think the radiant shape brings out color shades in a more evident fashion than all other shapes. That was one of my reasons for putting the colorless request in my latest search.

I could just be the lighting. Radiants exhibit more color than some other fancies and much more color than rounds. I can tell between an F and E, but it should not be that yellow... A picture of it should not show that much color. Maybe it's just a bad picture. Either way, I can't imagine buying a radiant without seeing it live. I say this because they are NOT like rounds. They have unpredictable patterns and because of the depth and crown ranges can exhibit windowing or even different scintillation patterns based on their pav depth.

If it is coming from a trusted source I am sure the stone is what is says it is, and it's a lovely cut. it IS a lovely stone, the issue I have is if it's YOUR stone. If you see it and in person does nothing for you, then it's a bit of a waste, no? Every radiant has a life of it's own and personally I fell for a 73% depth stone (which would be an AGA Cut Chart NO-NO), and the fire that came out of that stone was insane. Then some with better numbers were just OK.

It's all in the eyes with radiants. You get a gut reaction to them. Love them or hate them. I have seen quite a few with decent numbers (better than the bad ones) that didn't charm me like the one I should not have considered.

Just saying, see it first. It's good to use all these tools and pictures, but in the end, they are substitutes for your eyes, and you will be using your eyes to see it for the rest of that ring's life, no? Good luck, it looks lovely so far!
30.gif

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
That radiant looks really pretty to me
30.gif

I concur with what you've been told, you need to see it in person to evaluate whether YOU like it. Radiants have a myriad of "looks", some are more "crushed ice", some more facet focused. That's why you need to see it in person to evaluate if you like the "look" of this one. The more radiants you see, the more you know what characteristics you like and then you go after stones that display those qualities you like.

Good luck, radiant cut diamonds ARE worth the extra trouble. I love mine!

mikedj72

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the wonderful input, I''m getting a real education quickly that radiants are very unique. I''m hearing "throw the AGA chart away if you can''t eye test it" a lot from the many phone calls and emails I''ve made. I first thought that was dealers opening my options with them, but hearing it on the board supports the theory. My first spec search which was "Ideal 1A" from the AGA chart brought back a single stone for all the Internet major players:)

Anywho...updated info: (is the crown height way out of range for the depth/table?)

Specs

Crown Angle 49.6
Crown Height 17.2
Pavil Angle 34.1
Pavil Depth 48.7
Girdle 2.3

Pics: with added comments from the sender

Keep in mind you are looking at the overall body color. The small wedge of color on the left of the face down image appears to be a reflection off the surface.

azzz.jpg

mikedj72

Rough_Rock
Pics: with added comments from the sender

Face Up

bzzzz.jpg

mikedj72

Rough_Rock
Next to an E Radiant for comparison:

caaa.jpg

mikedj72

Rough_Rock
Next to same E, face up.

daaa.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great, compared to the E, as far as color goes. If you like the "look" of the diamond, I''d say go for it. Just my .02!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The IS and the other pictures of that radiant look pretty darn SWEET to me.

mikedj72

Rough_Rock
Ellen, it''s in my final 3. Just waiting on the same detailed pictures on the other two stones. I''m hoping to have details/pics on them Monday morning for review. It is at that point I''ll pull the trigger on one of these things.

FWIW, I''m going to get these things appraised in the 30 day return period. Looking at the resources above for appraisers, any special tests/equipment listings that I might want to look for in an appraiser? Do they use different equipment? What are the best "add-on" tests that you can request with an appraisal?

Thanks!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 6:16:55 PM
Ellen, it's in my final 3. Just waiting on the same detailed pictures on the other two stones. I'm hoping to have details/pics on them Monday morning for review. It is at that point I'll pull the trigger on one of these things.

FWIW, I'm going to get these things appraised in the 30 day return period. Looking at the resources above for appraisers, any special tests/equipment listings that I might want to look for in an appraiser? Do they use different equipment? What are the best 'add-on' tests that you can request with an appraisal?

Thanks!
ASET machines are particularly helpful with fancy cuts. Whether any of the appraisers would have one, I don't know.

If they don't have one, they should still be able to tell you if it's a good performer though. If there's someone who specializes in fancies, that would be helpful too, but not absolutely necessary.

mikedj72

Rough_Rock
Is that the machine that does the Light/Brilliance test? I thought I remember from another website that it wasn''t really good for Fancy Cuts, only rounds? Would it be a good assumption I read that in reverse?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
mikedj72,

I think the diamond looks great. As far as the angles go, you wont hear much criticism from me if the diamond returns light like the picture! Nice find!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results