shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant Cut-What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been doing a lot of research lately and found this forum to be extremely helpful, so naturally I''d like to get some opinions on the following stone. I''m looking for a well cut radiant that will have a lot of brilliance, size isn''t the leading factor, brilliance over size is the way I''d like to go.

Radiant Cut 0.58 ct F VS1
Table 64% Depth 65.2% 5.66mm x 4.54mm x 2.96 (l/w=1.24)
VG Polish, G Symmetry
Faint blue fluorescence
$1194

Seems to match up well with the AGS cut charts for emerald and radiants. Based on the GIA cert, there is a small feather inclusion near the corner but I can''t tell if it will be a problem, I doubt it though. I haven''t seen it yet, just the certificate, so I don''t yet have an impression.

Any thoughts?

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I may be closing on this one soon, they say it has ideal proportions and is a really "nice" diamond. It's my first time buying and would really appreciate some advice/reassurance. Also, how important is having the option to upgrade the stone, should it be a strong factor in choosing who to purchase from?

hope

Rough_Rock
I'm just a consumer, but those numbers do sound like a potentially nice combination. Crown height is important too. If you decide to go with this stone, you could check it out with an independent appraiser.

I think it would be a good idea to look at as many radiant cuts locally as possible. They have a very different "sparkle" than round brilliants and there's lots of variation in the life of the stones out there, even ones that look well cut on paper! If you saw some up close, you'd have an idea of how this one stacks up visually to your idea of what you're looking for.

As for upgrade, this is your choice. Personally, if I were taking a unseen, my first priority would be the return policy and ability to get the stone independently appraised. #2 would be to get the stone I am happiest with right now. You really have no idea if you will ever be able to or want to trade up. I think upgrade is a great perk. It might affect my decision if there was a vendor I wanted to work with to find my perfect stone. Your priorities may be different.

Good luck,

Hope

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The numbers look very nice... Can you get a Sarin/OGI report??

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Hope and Giangi.

The next step is setting up the appraisal, the wheels are in motion, but that will be the first time I actually see it. One of my concerns is if I am unhappy, I will have to keep spending money on appraisals until I actually find the right one. There is a local jeweler near me who sells diamonds, I wasn't impressed by their stock listed on their website (based on the #s only), but I'm guessing it would be a good idea to stop by and see the radiants they have just to get a feeling for some different cut combinations.

Is a Sarin/OGI report standard during an appraisal or do I have to ask for this specifically and do they generally cost extra? What kind of angle #s should I be looking for in these reports for radiants, not the same as what i've seen posted for Round Brilliant, right?

I'm not basing my decision on being able to trade in later, if it is a great stone then it's likely I or she would never want to...hopefully!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sarin machines are pretty expensive and not all appraisers own one. You could call a few and find out if someone has it... Many appraisers have a table gauge, though... It's something like a small ruler and can measure crown height, pavilion depth and table...
You should ask for table %, depth %, crown %/', pavilion%/', gidle and culet...
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results