shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant Cut Diamond Question - Feedback Appreciated

Enginerd2020

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Quick question - we were looking at this radiant cut diamond and low and behold it has been purchased. However, I would like to request if someone with more expertise could tell me if this would have been a good choice. I have been searching your forum for a few weeks now and have learned quite a bit about radiant cuts.

Our budget isn't necessarily high and we plan to do some sort of upgrade to the diamond throughout the years. From what I have gathered, I need to request an ASET image as soon as I start looking at a diamond and think it may be a good choice.

If they are unable to get us an image - time to move on. We are fairly housebound right now due to a 9 month old baby girl so it is difficult to go see diamonds in person at this moment. Our anniversary is coming up soon and we would hope we could select a diamond in the next month or so.

Here is a diamond we almost decided on:

Critical feedback welcome :)

Reactions: AV_

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I have a confession to make: I have never gotten an ASET for a stone that I've purchased.

Here's why: fancies, generally, have light return that is varying degrees of "not that great" but inherent to the cut.

The good news: there is a radiant currently on the market that I've been resisting buying for weeks, that is close to your budget (I presume, based on the price of the one you missed out on) and is absolutely gorgeous.

As for radiants, there's a huge variety of flavors. My personal favorite is this one above, which is a step crown with brilliant pavilion, similar to the new Tiffany "True" cut.

There's a few others like it, here is a higher color but lower clarity, if color is significant to you: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.70-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-8852276

There are others, the vast majority are the more elongated short and long main radiants like you've found here. You are looking for a clear, even facet pattern and longer pavilion mains to get rid of the "bow tie" effect. Here's a square H&A: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.73-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-8871966

Here's a decent cut corner princess, if that floats your boat: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/0.70-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-7425521

You are looking for distinct faceting with no "flat" areas where the stone just looks blurry. You want the faceting to be even, not large short mains with a bunch of small glittery facets around. Here is a decent example, though I'm not necessarily recommending this specific stone, you can clearly see all the pavilion facets as you move left to right, without a dark "quarter" window: https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/0.7-ct-F-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Radiant-Diamond/D45198072?rfr=search

There's pretty much nothing great on BlueNile at the moment, are you married to them as a retailer?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone you picked is not a stone I would have recommended.

We can help you look for stones that have good/better light return.

Edit...just now seeing that @kb1gra has posted some nice ones. Let us know what look you like.

Last edited:

Enginerd2020

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the replies! We are not tied down to any retailer specifically. I'm not sure how we got to them in the first place.

I appreciate the examples.We really like the square radiant H&A.

I think you've helped us immensely and I now have a better idea of what to look for!

Would you recommend purchasing the stone loose and then taking it to a jeweler to be set? Or is there a way to purchase the stone loose and send it back to be set once we find the one we like?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the replies! We are not tied down to any retailer specifically. I'm not sure how we got to them in the first place.

I think you've helped us immensely and I now have a better idea of what to look for!

Would you recommend purchasing the stone loose and then taking it to a jeweler to be set? Or is there a way to purchase the stone loose and send it back to be set once we find the one we like?

I would try to find stone and setting from the same place and get it set before it is sent to you. So if you like any of the JA options above I would look at their setting options too.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

Often the same stone can also be found in more than one place. I have a couple pieces from Adiamor and found their selection of settings to be a lot more complete than James Allen's and they also do custom work.

If you like the square radiant, let me see what they have it priced at...

Huh, I'm having no luck finding that one at another retailer. Will keep poking...

further edit: Sam at Adiamor is looking into that one for you. These are not tremendously easy to find - they were more prevalent a few years ago but pretty rare now - so if you like that one, it is probably one of a few on the market at the moment.

Last edited:

Enginerd2020

Rough_Rock
Good evening! Sorry it's been a busy day.

I started looking around for another radiant cut H&A and haven't had much luck either. Then again, I probably am not as well-versed at this as you.

I did have a question regarding the diamond you linked... How does the medium florescence do with G color? From what I have read it is better in an I color diamond. However, the example was near-colorless G and medium florescence. Will this have a negligible effect?

Thanks again for being so interested.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Good evening! Sorry it's been a busy day.

I started looking around for another radiant cut H&A and haven't had much luck either. Then again, I probably am not as well-versed at this as you.

I did have a question regarding the diamond you linked... How does the medium florescence do with G color? From what I have read it is better in an I color diamond. However, the example was near-colorless G and medium florescence. Will this have a negligible effect?

Thanks again for being so interested.

It shouldn't have a negative effect, though it does affect the price. A G is only 2 color grades less color than an I - so unlikely to be a problem.

Enginerd2020

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any links for a radiant with the hearts & arrows type pattern in a setting?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone on PS has either a radiant H&A or a cushion H&A and its really beautiful. Let me see if I can find...

Edit...here it is. Really a stunning looking ring IMO! Belongs to @diamondhoarder

Last edited:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have any links for a radiant with the hearts & arrows type pattern in a setting?

the Tiffany True is a square radiant shape, so there's some pics in those threads:

here's a video about Brellias, which is a branded square hearts and arrows:

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
For clarity, can you go lower w/ a Radiant cut? Like an SI1 or SI2? are inclusions visible to the naked eye?

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
This might be too high out of your budget, and possibly not clean enough, but since there are a number of people looking for radiants right now, I thought I'd post this pretty one:

Enginerd2020

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

What a ride 2020 was. Thank you all for your input. Just wanted to let you all know we were able to get one of the recommendations and it helped immensely!

Just wanted to show you the finished product. (Apologies on photo quality - I took this on my work phone while trying to be sneaky)

IMG_1797.jpg

Thanks again for all the help. I hope to use your guidance in the future ;-)

Hi Everyone!

What a ride 2020 was. Thank you all for your input. Just wanted to let you all know we were able to get one of the recommendations and it helped immensely!

Just wanted to show you the finished product. (Apologies on photo quality - I took this on my work phone while trying to be sneaky)

IMG_1797.jpg

So pretty! Moar pics! Btw, which radiant did you end up with? Would love to hear the specs.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone!

IMG_1797.jpg

Wow..

@Enginerd2020.. @pricescopenewbie also just purchased a 1.12c square H&A square radiant!

Can u share the spects of this beauty? Beautiful prongs too.. All even n not crooked.. Workmanship by which vendor?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg its gorgeous!!!! Congrats!

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
How beautiful! I would also love to see more pictures and hear which one you ended up with!

I just purchased a .91 I SI1 H&A square radiant after searching through most of the available options I could find of this type of cut and I'm loving these stones!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it @Enginerd2020 ! We need more details...size, color, etc...and some hand shots!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the one we ended up getting. It disappeared for awhile but a few weeks later it reappeared in the search and I grabbed it.

I have asked my wife for pictures on her hand :)

Gorgeous stone!

This is the one we ended up getting. It disappeared for awhile but a few weeks later it reappeared in the search and I grabbed it.

I have asked my wife for pictures on her hand :)

It was meant to be yours!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results