ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Would you care to translate? It literally looks like Greek to me. :bigsmile:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1315870649|3016115 said:
Steel Magnolias is one of my treasure troves:

"Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion!"

"Ouiser, I love you more than my luggage."

"I am about at the end of my rope with you." "Well, then why don't you tie a noose and slip it 'round your head?"

"Miss Truvy, I promise that my personal tragedy will not interfere with my ability to do good hair."

I'm going to stop now. Gah, I love that movie.

And let's not forget Drummond's philosophy, as related by Shelby: "Daddy always said, "An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure." " :bigsmile:

My, hands down, favorite line from that wonderful movie.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
ksinger, MP provided so many wonderful lines for everyday use.

Whenever we get absolutely stuffed to the gills with food, (DH and I), one of us starts offering the other "Just a wafer-thin mint?"

(Don't know if that is a direct quote, or just a loose one.)

Another good one, and I don't know if it is in a cartoon or just the comic strip: Linus from Peanuts: "I love mankind; it's people I can't stand." (it's so very me. :wink2: )

Viola

Shiny_Rock
I have a few looooong ones...

here's a couple of my absolute favourite

"You call yourself a free spirit, a wild thing, yet you're terrified that somebody's gonna put you in a cage. Well, baby, you're already in a cage and you built it yourself. And it's not bound on the east by Somali Land or on the west by Tulip, Texas. It's everywhere you go. Because no matter where you run, you're always going to end up running into yourself." ~ Breakfast at Tiffany's

"At some point you have to make a decision. Boundaries don't keep other people out; they fence you in. Life is messy, that's how we're made. So you can waste your life drawing lines or you can live your life crossing them. But there are some lines that are way too dangerous to cross. Here's what I know, If you're willing to take a chance, the view from the other side is spectacular." -Grey's Anatomy

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ksinger said:
I'll exercise a BIT of restraint on the Holy Grail, but it'll be hard. There is hardly a day goes by that doesn't offer up some situation begging for an MP quote....

Please please! This is supposed to be happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue over 'oo killed 'oo!" ~ Lord of Swamp Castle

HELP HELP!! I'm bein' repressed! ~ Dennis

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds, distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. ~ Dennis again

A person is smart. PEOPLE are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~ Agent K

The plural of anecdote is not data. - no idea who, but it's brilliant, and applicable every.single.day.

And of course my line below is Princess Bride, another totally quotable movie.

I love MP! When I used to have an internet radio station, I played recordings with these quotes in between songs! It was fun! :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1315872454|3016128 said:
Groucho takes a pratfall. They pick him up & plop him in a chair. "Force brandy down my throat!" he fake-croaks.

"There is a land of life and a land of death, and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning." -- Thornton Wilder, Bridge of San Luis Rey.

This second quote almost made me cry . . . touching and beautiful . . . :((

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oh, pretty much anything Eddie Izzard ever said! :appl:

When hubby and I can't decide something, one of us will say "Cake or Death?"

From Eddie:

We stole countries with the cunning use of flags. Just sail around the world and stick a flag in. "I claim India for Britain!" They're going "You can't claim us, we live here! Five hundred million of us!" "Do you have a flag …? "What? We don't need a flag, this is our home, you bastards" "No flag, No Country, You can't have one! Those are the rules... that I just made up!...and I'm backing it up with this gun, that was lent to me from the National Rifle Association.

We also like to say "Do you know who I am?" "You'll still need a tray!"

From Eddie's Death Star Cantina, lego version on youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think he's sooo funny and kinda :naughty: for a guy in a dress

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some more of my favorites:

"Whoever you are—I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."--Tennessee Williams (from 'A Streetcar Named Desire')

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."--F. Scott Fitzgerald (from 'The Great Gatsby')

“Call nothing ugly, my friend, save the fear of a soul in the presence of its own memories.” --Kahlil Gibran

dani13

Ideal_Rock
"It wasn't over, It still isn't over" - The Notebook

Oh, Dragonfly, The Notebook is one of my favorite movies ever....This scene still gives me chills everytime...such passion!!!! Love it!!!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1315886912|3016283 said:
aviastar|1315874314|3016145 said:
'I'm kind of a big deal' - Anchorman

"Um, I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

"I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you."

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
"Nobody puts Baby in a corner." - Dirty Dancing

"Let your heart guide you, it whispers, so listen closely" - The Land Before Time

"I feel the need, the need for speed!" - Top Gun

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Id rather have 30 minutes of wonderful then a lifetime of nothing special. Steel magnolias.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
DH found a bunch of Voltaire quotes, and I couldn't resist adding them to this thread:

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. (actually, not sure who said it exactly)

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

The art of government is to make two-thirds of a nation pay all it possibly can pay for the benefit of the other third. (SO true!)

All history is little else than a long succession of useless cruelties.

England has forty-two religions and only two sauces. :lol: :lol:

The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

I am very fond of truth, but not at all of martyrdom.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.
-Derek Zoolander

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
-Darth Vader

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results