shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick Question between 3 stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cougartime

Rough_Rock
Hi there - fast question - have a choice between 3 rings (do not have more info on them, sorry)

- .97 ct, G color, SI1 - can see spot with naked eye

- 1.00 ct, I color, VS2 - looks more yellow than others - can see small almost looks like bubbles through the stone with the loupe

- 1.01 ct I color, SI1 - looks nicest for clarity - not sure about color - placed it next to an F color - could not see a difference- has white feather defect near prong on top can see with loupe only

these are all the same price - they are all Leo stones/rings

which would be the best stone for future (go up in value most)

thank you for your time and input, it is appreciated. (we've got to pick one tomorrow)

Robin

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
Why are you worried about appreciation? Diamonds are the worst investment - forget about it ...

When you buy a stereo, you don't expect it to appreciate - you buy the best you can afford for what you want - Do the same with a diamond.

There was a very brief time when people were speculating on diamonds.... there were some crazy quick profits, but for the most part they were a terrible investment. I still get guys who bought stuff in the 70's and early 80's showing up and asking me about their stone(s).... what can I tell the guy - for the most part their stones are not worth half or a quarter of what they think they are.

Buy a diamond because you want to buy a diamond - it is not an Austin Martin. If you want an investment, buy tech stocks.

RB

cougartime

Rough_Rock
i know from past experience they are worth about half of what you pay for them. perhaps i worded it incorrectly. i'm not looking for an investment, i am looking to secure the best deal for my money, a wise purchase.

from the look with my untrained naked eye - they all look so close.

each salesperson is trying to tell me why theirs is better.
it totally confused me.

one is a cert. gemologist and said that the better value is the full 1.01 ct stone. but another told me color was the most important factor and the .97 ct stone has the best color. yet another told me that clairity was the key element - and the 1.00 one has the VS2 rating. apparently they do not offer Leo stones with all three (color, clarity & ct).

so i guess i am having to make a choice between 3 stones, each of them having one of the three "c's" slightly different - they all have the same fourth "c" which is cut - they are all round Leo cuts.

so i guess i am asking (and not for investment purposes) if they all look the same (which to me they do) and i'd be happy with any of the three (which i would be) - then how does the average layperson pick between the other three "c's" which is other "c" the most important feature?

since this is a price and grading forum - i figured if anyone would know people here would know how then one stone is graded as better than the next based upon just the 4 C's. and i know i'd get an honest answer/opinion here because no one involved is the salesperson. i know each salesman/woman wants me to buy their stone and they have all told me why theirs is better. all this just added to my confusion.

any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

Robin

Emrldforher

Rough_Rock
Robin,

What lab reports do these come with? Couple of your comments about the diamonds are concerning. You say the SI1 has an eye-visible inclusion. While its certainly possible that an SI1 has a visible inclusion, it is somewhat surprising. Also, you say that one of the "I" diamonds is noticeably more yellow than the others (G and I). I believe all the diamonds are mounted based on your comments, so I'm surprised you can see a color difference at least between the two I's. You also say that the last "I" diamond that is SI1 is the cleanest. I would expect the VS2 to obviously be the cleanest. Maybe the "bubbles" you refer to in the VS2 are just dust particles as the diamond was not clean?

I understand you are in a rush, but without more information and insuring that you are getting a diamond as advertised (meaning that the color/clarity that are being represented accurately) I would slow down. If the diamonds come with a GIA/AGS report, I'd certainly feel more comfortable.

Just food for thought. Good luck!

E

cougartime

Rough_Rock
E,

ok i went back & looked at the .97 stone again. my mistake it does NOT have a visable flaw - in fact even though it's rated SI1/SI2 i could not see anything under the loupe either. it's gorgeous. it's .97 ct and it's a color F-G and it's just about as colorless a stone as i have seen in a long time. being a Leo it sparkles like it's on fire.

no one really answered me - BUT based on what i was able to research so far i think that the order of importance in the stone's value are as follows:

cut
color
clarity
carat (size)

so this fits my budget just right and it's a gorgeous stone in a very nice setting, platinum prongs with a nice shiny gold band with a tiny diamond inside it for the "o" in Leo.

these rings (yes they are mounted stones) are gorgeous compared to the other regular diamonds. they are IGI cert & appraised too.

thanks for your help & input.

Robin:))

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Cougar, without cut info and an independent gemologist's second opinion of the grading, it is impossible for anyone here to answer your question.

If you like one of the stones better than the other two, trust your instincts. Tell the jeweler you are interested in purchasing that stone, and would like to have it verified by an independent gemologist. Ask for a 48 to 72 hour period to have it checked out, with a money back guarantee if you don't like it FOR ANY REASON.

If they're not willing to do this, blow them off. Plenty of jewelers will step up to take their place.

You are in the driver's seat as a buyer here. Don't be intimidated.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

PS- Have the IGI grading double checked. In the past they have been very loose in their grading, although lately they have firmed up their standards somewhat.

cougartime

Rough_Rock
Hi there Rich,

the problem is with the "Leo" rings they don't give you any more info.

all it says for instance is this on the IGI SOA:

shape/cut: round mod. brill.
measurment: 6.11 - 6.23 x 4.00 mm
weight: .97 ct (s)
color: colorless/n. colorless (F-G)
clarity: SI(1)/SI(2)
polish/symmetry: good/good
treatment: none

as for the guarantee i get a full 30 days to return it for any reason, and a full 90 days to exchange it for any reason. and a lifetime warranty for them to replace the stone if it comes out and i lose it or if it chips. it's from Kay Jewelers - apparently they have told me they have the exclusive on the Leo Schacter rings (the Leo).

since i will be buying it & going away right afterwords and tying up about 2 week's time - i have one other question:

how long does it take to have the grading double checked? and where does one do that? do you offer that service? you're not that far from me - i'm in s. central FL myself.

thanks for your help, it is appreciated,
Robin

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I'd be happy to give you a second opinion. My info is listed under "appraisers" on this site.

Have you considered checking diamonds out in the independent stores as well, versus the mall stores? I feel I should forewarn you that a mall diamond from a large chain will often cost you more than from the independents, or the internet sellers.

The only problem with the independents and interneters are that it would be a cash purchase. I know that Kays, etc, offer credit, which is one of their draws. Just as long as you know that you pay dearly for it.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

cougartime

Rough_Rock
Hi Rich,

i found you - i will send you a private email as well.

i am paying cash for it. i like the replacement guarantee of the diamond, as i knew someone that had a stone crack & fall apart.

also - the biggest reason i am buying from them is that they are the only ones to carry the Leo stones that i have been able to find. each of the Kay Jewelers stores have told me that they have the exclusive on them (the Leo's).

since they have the exclusive on the brand diamond i am kind of forced into buying it from them.

the price is premium as well. i know i could get an ideal cut online for less. BUT in person when i compared the Leo stone to the other regular diamonds (even my own) they paled in comparison. there is something special about the fire that comes out of the stone - they tell me it's the 66 facets & the way it is cut. it is gorgeous. and apparently they do not use junk stones - they are all slightly different - one may have better clarity, one more size, and the other better color. the worst color i see is I (in the Leo's) and the worst clarity i see is SI1/SI2.

i picked a F-G color stone, with SI1/SI2 clarity, and it is not a full 1.00 ct, it is .97 cts. (which they told me was a light carat ring).

i am sure (as i have checked) that i can get a H&A ideal cut stone for less online. i am NOT sure what it will look like and if i will like it.

this i know i love. and afterall from what i can tell it's about being happy with the stone - as many have told me - they are NOT investments, they are not anything more than a luxury item to please the person that wears them. i would be more pleased to know that the stone measured up to what they say, because you never 100% know - that's why second opinions are really good!

thanks again for your time, it is appreciated.

Robin

sturkiej

Rough_Rock
I AM NOT SURE IF THEY ARE A NATIONAL CHAIN OR ARE WHERE YOU ARE BUT MARKS AND MORGAN JEWELERS HAS THE LEO CUT DIAMOND ALSO.

cougartime

Rough_Rock
yes they do. i have seen it ata few stores there too. Marks and Morgan is owned by the same people as Kay Jewelers i was told.

after noticing how many of those stores had how many of similar quality stones cut with the Leo cut - i have changed my mind on it. they were all SO eager to sell me one too. almost seemed too hungry for the sale.

i have spoken to some other people offline (people from here - not sure if they want to be named) and i believe i am finding that the eightstar is the way to go -when i can comfortably afford one. so i will wait till then - until then i will just enjoy what i have - which is a very nice stone.

thanks for the help i was given off line & online. i think it helped me to come to an intelligent, nonemotional conclusion.

Robin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results