shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick question about stone and setting size

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys, I bought a beautiful little purple supernova spinel second-hand a few weeks ago, and I'm starting to think about how to set it. It's 6.4x5.2mm. Do you think it would fit in a 5x7 setting? I think the 5.2 dimension would be OK, but I'm worried about the 6.4 being too short. Could a good jeweler make it work?

The setting I'm considering is from lan.bo4. I'd rather not customize because I wanted to do a BIN offer and save money.

Here's a pic of the stone.

SP-7111g-0.9c-6.4x5.2.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Anyone? Bueller?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your gemstone is very pretty. You may need to go custom on that size of stone. I had an oval stone once that was an odd size and they used the mounting to the larger size and they were a bit overpowering on the gemstone. Good luck.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys. The problem is that I don't have the setting, and I'm deciding whether or not to buy it. All these custom projects are really killing my wallet, so I was hoping a stock setting might work. Any more opinions on whether you think it can be rigged to fit?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Supernovas are generally sort of deep so it would be a good idea to go slightly larger stock setting, IIRC Mochi had a calibrated supernova that didn't fit in a stock setting that would have otherwise fit it (if it weren't for the deep belly)--perhaps you could talk to your jeweler?

Any other supernova experts out there?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, in a similar vein, my 7mm Barry round tourmaline didn't fit very well in a 7mm stock setting because of the high crown. Good point!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results