Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick question about stone and setting size

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys, I bought a beautiful little purple supernova spinel second-hand a few weeks ago, and I'm starting to think about how to set it. It's 6.4x5.2mm. Do you think it would fit in a 5x7 setting? I think the 5.2 dimension would be OK, but I'm worried about the 6.4 being too short. Could a good jeweler make it work?

The setting I'm considering is from lan.bo4. I'd rather not customize because I wanted to do a BIN offer and save money.

Here's a pic of the stone.

SP-7111g-0.9c-6.4x5.2.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Anyone? Bueller?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your gemstone is very pretty. You may need to go custom on that size of stone. I had an oval stone once that was an odd size and they used the mounting to the larger size and they were a bit overpowering on the gemstone. Good luck.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys. The problem is that I don't have the setting, and I'm deciding whether or not to buy it. All these custom projects are really killing my wallet, so I was hoping a stock setting might work. Any more opinions on whether you think it can be rigged to fit?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Supernovas are generally sort of deep so it would be a good idea to go slightly larger stock setting, IIRC Mochi had a calibrated supernova that didn't fit in a stock setting that would have otherwise fit it (if it weren't for the deep belly)--perhaps you could talk to your jeweler?

Any other supernova experts out there?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, in a similar vein, my 7mm Barry round tourmaline didn't fit very well in a 7mm stock setting because of the high crown. Good point!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.