shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions on how to shop..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

petes99

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am officially starting to shop for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I''ve got most of my diamond research out of the way - looking at a 1ct Princess - and I want a Platinum Solitaire setting.. and that''s where I need some education :) .

While it must stand out a bit (by my choice!), Kim is more into subtlety than flashiness. She''s a pretty active gal - and this ring might be prone to some ''dangerous'' situations - so a secure setting pretty very important. Browsing rings is not as easy of a task as I had expected, but I have found BlueNile''s site to be great for its photos of the settings. As such, I''m kinda drawn to the Cathedral and Trellis style settings.. as they look to have some "support" on the sides, yet remain nicely understated. I am pretty concerned about the ring getting banged up - and we sure don''t want that stone to go flying!!

Question #1 - I''m looking for modest yet classy, secure settings for a Princess - are there recommendations?

Question #2 - Can I bring a stone and a setting to a jeweler, and ask them to ''build'' the ring for me? Is that considered bad form? I just don''t want to get cornered into settings by what they want to sell me..

Thank you in advance!!

pete

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How rough is she on her jewelry? Would she be willing to take off her ering when she is doing something that
might bang it hard? Princess shape stones are somewhat vulnerable on their corners. As long as its insured and
she takes if off when it might get banged then she should be ok.

The trellis setting would be my favorite out of those two.

I will look around for other princess settings that might fit your bill.

I believe *most* jewelers will set a stone for you for a fee. Just need to make sure that the
stone is insured by either the jeweler or by you when the mounting takes place (in case
a corner gets cracked etc.).

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2009 3:46:55 PM
Author:petes99
Hi all,

I am officially starting to shop for an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I''ve got most of my diamond research out of the way - looking at a 1ct Princess - and I want a Platinum Solitaire setting.. and that''s where I need some education :) .

While it must stand out a bit (by my choice!), Kim is more into subtlety than flashiness. She''s a pretty active gal - and this ring might be prone to some ''dangerous'' situations - so a secure setting pretty very important. Browsing rings is not as easy of a task as I had expected, but I have found BlueNile''s site to be great for its photos of the settings. As such, I''m kinda drawn to the Cathedral and Trellis style settings.. as they look to have some ''support'' on the sides, yet remain nicely understated. I am pretty concerned about the ring getting banged up - and we sure don''t want that stone to go flying!!

Question #1 - I''m looking for modest yet classy, secure settings for a Princess - are there recommendations?

Question #2 - Can I bring a stone and a setting to a jeweler, and ask them to ''build'' the ring for me? Is that considered bad form? I just don''t want to get cornered into settings by what they want to sell me..

Thank you in advance!!

pete
This is just my preference, but for a princess, I prefer a chevron like prongs ("L" shape) or a semi bezel. here are a couple of examples. but there are others like double prongs. looks great too

princess prongs.JPG

petes99

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input so far!

For ''risky'' situations I am sure she''ll take it off - but you never know ;-).

I am definitely open to more settings - just a matter of finding a good way to browse now..

Today''s find - WhiteFlash W-Prong - but needs a WF stone, too.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll tell ya what, this is one of the prettiest Princess settings I've ever seen. So simple, so classy!
30.gif

I looked back through her posts, but she doesn't seem to have a thread on it specifically. This was just one pic posted in another thread, she did mention it was custom made. If you were interested in getting more info, you could make a thread paging her. I don't think it would be hard to replicate at all.

I just think it sets off the stone so well. And the plain wband is the icing on the cake. Stunning.
30.gif

myring102%20jpg.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 10:53:32 AM
Author: Ellen
I'll tell ya what, this is one of the prettiest Princess settings I've ever seen. So simple, so classy!
30.gif

I looked back through her posts, but she doesn't seem to have a thread on it specifically. This was just one pic posted in another thread, she did mention it was custom made. If you were interested in getting more info, you could make a thread paging her. I don't think it would be hard to replicate at all.

I just think it sets off the stone so well. And the plain wband is the icing on the cake. Stunning.
30.gif

myring102%20jpg.jpg

Ellen, shouldn't you say who this ring belongs to? Or I miss it???

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 10:59:31 AM
Author: Stone-cold11

Ellen, shouldn''t you say who this ring belongs to? Or I miss it???
Duh, a name would be good, wouldn''t it!?
9.gif
Sorry I forgot that most important part. It belongs to Londongirl1.

Thanks Sc!
2.gif

petes99

Rough_Rock
Oh wow, that is really beautiful! I found this post with a couple more photos - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hey-londongirl1-show-us-your-new-reset.116559/ . Thanks for the tip Ellen! I love the look on that one.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 5:08:07 PM
Author: petes99
Oh wow, that is really beautiful! I found this post with a couple more photos - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hey-londongirl1-show-us-your-new-reset.116559/ . Thanks for the tip Ellen! I love the look on that one.
Excellent! And you''re welcome!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I just want "risky behavior" to be defined here, because I know that some of the PS people have very different definitions from most laypeople. When I was asking about settings the idea of doing any housework, dishes, going to the gym, etc was all considered risky. Whereas I think the average person would think that risky behavior might be more like rock climbing or something similar. So do you think that your gf is the type to take the ring off for these everyday "risky" situations, or is she likely to keep it on?

Though I don''t know if this is done with princesses a bezel would provide lots of protection.

petes99

Rough_Rock
D&T - LOVE that first one.. is that the Tiffany for Fancy Cut? I can''t seem to find the exact match on WF.. or is it custom? Can it be purchased sans a stone - it looks like WF sells most rings with the requirement of a stone.
And thanks for linking that link :) . I''m a web guy, you''d think I could have picked up on that!

Austen - good points! A variety of sports (from running to biking to skiing to hiking) are played, including the gym. Not necessarily rock climbing but I would not really count that out ;-). As far as wearing - she has lost a couple of other (not e-ring) rings that I gave her - and I think that has made her more ''aware'' when the rings are taken off now. Another custom ring has been knocked around and some decorative stones are coming loose.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 10:12:58 AM
Author: petes99
D&T - LOVE that first one.. is that the Tiffany for Fancy Cut? I can''t seem to find the exact match on WF.. or is it custom? Can it be purchased sans a stone - it looks like WF sells most rings with the requirement of a stone.
And thanks for linking that link :) . I''m a web guy, you''d think I could have picked up on that!

Austen - good points! A variety of sports (from running to biking to skiing to hiking) are played, including the gym. Not necessarily rock climbing but I would not really count that out ;-). As far as wearing - she has lost a couple of other (not e-ring) rings that I gave her - and I think that has made her more ''aware'' when the rings are taken off now. Another custom ring has been knocked around and some decorative stones are coming loose.
It could be custom, they could most definitely make one for you, I don''t think they always require you to buy a stone from them, but best to check with them though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results