shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions for Vatche setting owners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
We are in the process of choosing my engagement ring. I really like the Vatche X-prong.

In the thread below it was mentioned that Vatche uses a soft platinum (950 platinum/iridium).

For Vatche owners, how is the platinum holding up? Are you happy with your setting? How long have you had this setting and are you unhappy with the setting having purchased it?

Thanks!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-choices-prices-at-good-old-gold.53402/

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Mine is only a year old. And while very pretty, I would not buy again. I think it was overpriced.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Asscherisme - can you tell me why you wouldn''t buy again?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Bought Vatche b/c I loved the look, heft and proportions. I wouldn''t not buy my setting (3 stone) again b/c 1. the price is outrageous. 2. maybe it''s me and I''m hard on my rings - but it is badly pitted and scuffed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2007 2:09:19 PM
Author: asscherisme
Mine is only a year old. And while very pretty, I would not buy again. I think it was overpriced.
Yours has side diamonds, though, and that really drives up the price. Their rings without diamonds are comparable in price to most other nice brands.

I think you''ll find that the white gold is more durable. I believe Ellen has the white gold X-prong. You can probably find lots of pictures of her ring on here.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen does have the WG version but said recently that it already needs re-plating and she was disappointed that she had to do it so soon.

i''m sure she''ll see this thread and chime in..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think that''s tre trade-off. WG has to be rhodium plated and platinum has to be polished. My jeweler says he likes platinum more in engraved rings because they are already scratched, and he likes wg for shiny finish rings because they don''t look as scratched as platinum. But he does prefer the 90/10 platinum.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Vatche white gold ring and have had no problems. My WG rings don''t seem to need to be rhodium plated, though, must be something in the skin??

I also think my ring has been worth every penny, although I could have found it cheaper online.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
*chiming in*
9.gif

As mrss indicated, I did recently comment that in less than a years time, my ring needed replated. I am comparing it to my original set, that if ever it was done, would probably have been once (in 24 years), when the bottom of the band wore too thin and they had to redo it. I don't recall if they said they had or not, that was years ago. It never really needed it. And I was pretty hard on it and wore it just about 24/7, way more than I wear the new one.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's just the mixture Vatche uses, my skin with this mixture, the fact that I've cleaned this ring a lot more, and with a lot of different cleaners, or all of the above, as to why it needs it already.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have Vatche, but I was considering it. I went with Jeff Cooper which uses Platinum/Ruthenium (sp?) mix.

I have had it for nearly a year now and it has held up beautifully. I wear them a little more carelessly now, but I do try to take them off before bed and any time I am in the kitchen or working with my hands. The last time I got it polished was 6 months ago. The underside is patina''d but the top of the rings, while scuffed here and there, are still very polished and shiny. I am very pleased with the Jeff Cooper rings.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the feedback ladies....this whole process is certainly harder then i thought it would be! I''ll have to seriously think about the vatche setting and whether i want to take the risk....thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results