shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions/concerns/suspicions about buying dress off eBay, but the price! What to do?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 10:50:58 PM
Author: sumbride
Just remember that sleeves can be added to almost any strapless gown and many sleeveless gowns as well!

and I agree with Gypsy... cap sleeves are worse than no sleeves at all!
No no no, cap sleeves don''t count as sleeves as far as I''m concerned! No worries there.
1.gif
I have been looking at dresses and imagining what sleeves (either 3/4 or full length, with at least a slight bell at the end) would look like on them, so I''m not ONLY focusing on the sleeve-ful gowns. I''m sure I''ll find something that will work--when I order the dress, I can get a bolt of extra fabric so a seamstress can make the sleeves out of the same material as the dress, jah? *strokes chin*

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 11:05:57 PM
Author: Gypsy
Thanks for the compliments on the dress! It''s going to be much nicer once I fix the neckline so that it''s not a halter and is more a V neck and I replace that sash with one that is ivory and has no crystals or beads. I fell in love with it cause it makes my waist look tiny (I have a pretty small waist for my size though) and the way the fabric and skirt fall, there''s no emphasis on any tummy (which isn''t so tiny) I might have poking about. Plus it has the alencon lace I wanted, and a really pretty train that isn''t too long. The rest is alter-able with the right seamstress.

This was one of my runners up. It was VERY flattering, it looks so ''eh'' on the website but in person it had the loveliest lining of silk charmeuse and the lace was beautiful and the neckline and bust were gorgeous. When I added a sash to it, it was even MORE of a knock out because it highlighted the waist. But, there was something about the Moncheri (the price was a factor too, as the Mon Cheri cost less, though with alterations they''ll even out) that really caught me.

But I REALLY recommend this gown (I know you weren''t too excited about watters gowns, and I have to say for the most part I didn''t think many of them looked as nice in person as in the pics, but this one was just the opposite).

http://www.watters.com/product.php?coll=brides&showid=581 IF you look the large pic of the neckline close up you''ll see how lovely the detail is on it.
You''re right, the detail on that is quite lovely, and the way it''s cut might work for my body shape too. I doubt I''d be able to pull off a sash because the majority of my mass is concentrated in my waist (making it look like I almost have none), but it might work without... It is a style I''d like to try on, but I know the shop where I got my W&W dress doesn''t carry my size normally. For that dress, I''d basically chosen it from the website (because the bride left it really late and we didn''t have time to shop around in person), and we just went in, got measured, saw the dress in person in a couple different colours, and paid the deposit. I''d really rather *not* go through that same process on the wedding dress, since it''s a bit of a gamble.

Since it sounds like you can fit into the sample gowns with no problem, Gypsy, you might not be able to answer this question, but I wonder if you (or anyone else) knows how to try on gowns at shops if the gowns they carry in the store are too small? Do you have to tell them to order certain gowns in your size to try on? Does that cost money? Oi, I''m so clueless with this wedding stuff, it''s really ridiculous. Thanks again, everyone, for your help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Getting samples sent in an exact (or near exact) size may be very difficult. I went to a salon where they weren't focused "size ten only samples" and I did stil have difficulty as some designers sizes run very different than others. I tried on samples mostly in bridal 12 and 14 and if I REALLY loved something and it had room in the hips, I'd torture myself in a smaller size. The salons have clips tied to elastic that can hold the gowns together for you in the back, and so you can get a pretty good idea of how things look on you. Or if they don't the sales ladies will hold the back together for you as much as possible. I prefer the clips though, as they can nip them in two places, the top of the back of the gown and at the waist, so you get an idea of how it would fit all the way down.

They also had many samples in 20 and plus sizes, so they had a good selection. The Watters was very close to fitting, it was tight at the bust even with the zipper open, but I could see easily how it would fall when fitted, so I think the sample was probably a 12. It slipped right over head, and felt like a soft cloud.

I tried on some maggies and with the corset back the 12's fit fine although with some of the 'fit and flare' styles I was much better off in a 14, I looked like a sausage in a 12. But the Maggies and corest backs are lovely because they can be done up all the way and you get the best idea of fit. I just don't care, for MYSELF, for the look of lace up backs.

But THE gown I went to try on there was a 10 sample in Paloma blanca and that was NOT happening. The lower half of the gown sat ON my hips (the entire thing crinoline, skirt, train) while I tried to adjust the bodice to see what it MIGHT look like on me. It was a REALLY unfortunate look. No dignity. Bad, bad thing. But you have to have a sense of humor about it. The salesgirl found me a similar style gown by another designer that I DID fit into, and while the fabrics and so forth weren't as nice, I got a very clear picture of what the STYLE looked like on me, so I was able to rule it out. It was flattering, just not AS flattering as the others I had in my final 3.

So basically I'd post on your local board on the knot and ask for salon recommendations with a large selection of larger sizes, and then call them, ask them what lines they carry... then make and appointment and go in. Also don't go in on a Saturday if you can avoid it. Too crowded.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m thick-waisted myself. Have you thought about an empire waisted dress? I didn''t think I liked them at first until I put one on and saw what it did for my figure. It made me look like I actually HAD a waist. I would suggest you look at a few of those as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results