shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about a OEC and sapphire pendant..Would you keep it?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I recently purchased this sapphire and OEC diamond pendant from TheRealReal. I don’t know much at all about vintage jewelry and now that I have it in hand, I have so many questions.
Is the price I paid of $1200 fair, or high? I know synthetic sapphire was commonly used in certain vintage jewelry, would it be likely in this piece? It wasn’t sold as synthetic, but I know I would have to send it to a lab to know for sure. I’m just curious what the likelihood is that it would be natural or synthetic?
As far as the condition goes, it’s not as good as the listing makes it seem. None of the wear necessarily bothers me though, since I can appreciate that it‘s seen quite a few years. The sapphire does have a smushed culet (see picture), but it can’t be seen when looking at the stone face up. I had originally thought I might have it converted to a ring, but I now wonder if it was a ring that’s been converted to a pendant, since the setting scallops on the side view look like they are soldered closed on one side.
Overall, I think it’s very pretty and the OEC halo sparkles like crazy. I have quite a few halo rings and none sparkle like this one does.
I’d love to hear any opinions on the piece. Also if It were you, would you keep it, or send it back? Thank in advance! :))
628C5DBB-7D2A-44FB-A696-0230A1A94788.jpeg
Culet damage:
E68B8255-7FA2-4BE2-B49C-FC3DDD396C97.jpeg
Side views:
912DADA6-12C9-4274-AABC-D527D93B8912.jpeg
27AE2F6D-2AAE-4E89-BE72-378CB021EF45.jpeg
Bottom view:
18B146C8-AE19-4498-8C29-083957C64FCD.jpeg
8DA0B04F-199C-4187-BA0B-38EE79A9576D.jpeg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty and a quick look for something comparable on Etsy didn't turn up anything to compare price.

One thing though, is it supposed to have prongs? I'm not sure what is holding the sapphire in as it doesn't seem to be bezel set. If the prongs are that worn down it will be quite a cost to fix that.

Eta: realized I didn't answer your question! I would keep it if I couldn't find another at that price point and it doesn't require any repair.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the helpful reply @YadaYadaYada ! I just took close up pictures and there are tiny prongs holding the main stone. One side of the stone the prongs looks okay, the other side looks pretty worn down.
I like the piece a lot and want to keep it, but the sensible side of me is thinking... the sapphire could be synthetic, the culet is crushed, the setting needs repair on the sides if I have it converted to a ring, and the prongs are worn down. On the other hand, I could leave it as is and wear it as a pendant and none of those issues would really matter. What to do, lol.
E31A54DC-9165-481E-92AE-4DD7C7331367.jpeg AC8E9F5B-1213-4B1C-871B-92C920796A38.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s pretty but understand your questioning on the price and fine details.
Not exact comps but a range -maybe this will help you decide on what’s worth it to you? including the specific style look you want and what work you may need to do for safety or aesthetics.

BF178213-1456-49D7-8917-C33975220FFD.jpeg
This one has a report, but it’s not shown that I see, and it has more modern looking prongs on the sapphire

And
https://www.etsy.com/listing/824774211/antique-edwardian-rose-cut-diamonds-with
8C94BF9E-83CA-4EC1-8459-11B3371091D2.jpeg
Listed as a spinel, assuming synthetic of course. And no report, and OEC may be lower color, assuming they are real

https://www.etsy.com/listing/694549517/antique-halo-ring-solid-18k-gold-125ct
C06DF72A-629F-4A01-8063-ECAC64AF2D1C.jpeg
and once again needs work and assuming listing is correct?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't care about possibly losing the sapphire then no sense in worrying about the prongs. The diamonds look nice so that's a plus as long as they are secure.

It really is a question of how much these imperfections will bother you in the long term. If you sent it back would you miss it? Do you think you could find another with some time and patience?

If it was me, I'd probably keep it, it's a pretty pendant with nice looking diamonds. You could always replace the sapphire down the road then there wouldn't be a question about whether it was real or synthetic.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the comps @Rfisher . They are all pretty, but I like the scalloped milgrain halo that the pendant I have has, more than the comps settings. I am thinking I could also use this pendant as inspiration for a future ring setting if I do return it. I have an unheated sapphire I purchased from arkieb a couple of years ago that I haven't been able to figure out how to set. This type of setting might be it! Did you find the oec diamonds for your sapphire ring in a pin? I’m just wondering how one would go about sourcing oec melee?

Thanks @YadaYadaYada (I keep having to remind myself not to call you by your old user name, lol). I’m still trying to figure out if the imperfections would bother me in the long run. I think they might. I‘m going to stop by the jewelers tomorrow and see what he thinks of the sapphire and the possible work needed. That should hopefully help with my decision.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers that sounds like a good idea. Btw I don't personally care if you do call me by my old username but I think it's against forum rules so wouldn't want you to get in trouble. IRL I tell people you can call me whatever you want as long as it's not obscene ;-)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the comps @Rfisher . They are all pretty, but I like the scalloped milgrain halo that the pendant I have has, more than the comps settings. I am thinking I could also use this pendant as inspiration for a future ring setting if I do return it. I have an unheated sapphire I purchased from arkieb a couple of years ago that I haven't been able to figure out how to set. This type of setting might be it! Did you find the oec diamonds for your sapphire ring in a pin? I’m just wondering how one would go about sourcing oec melee?

Thanks

I’m glad it somewhat helped you ‘ see’
there is something special about the one you already have, that’s worth more than it just bring about stats and price.
I didn’t really think any of those attached were better options for you.

Mine were indeed from an old bar pin. I took a chance and got lucky. The vendor photos weren’t the greatest, but showed potential. The return window /return cost was reasonable and for what they were asking, it was worth it to try.

I’m eager to see what you come up with either way :)

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you aren’t supposed to cross post, but it might be helpful to post in CS specifically about whether or not it could be a synthetic sapphire since it sounds like that is one of your main concerns. Do you have calipers? Listing says 0.50ctw and there are 10 diamonds. They look bigger than 0.05 each, but it’s hard to guess from pics.
I don’t understand what you mean by the culet being crushed. Do you mean it has a big chip?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers that sounds like a good idea. Btw I don't personally care if you do call me by my old username but I think it's against forum rules so wouldn't want you to get in trouble. IRL I tell people you can call me whatever you want as long as it's not obscene ;-)

I love Seinfeld and your new username! Your old name is also the name of my best friend when I was growing up, so I think that’s why it‘s stuck in my head :)) .

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m glad it somewhat helped you ‘ see’
there is something special about the one you already have, that’s worth more than it just bring about stats and price.
I didn’t really think any of those attached were better options for you.

Mine were indeed from an old bar pin. I took a chance and got lucky. The vendor photos weren’t the greatest, but showed potential. The return window /return cost was reasonable and for what they were asking, it was worth it to try.

I’m eager to see what you come up with either way :)

It has helped a lot to see it in person! I am going to be on the lookout for a bar pin now. If I do end up using this setting as inspo for my loose sapphire, I’ll be sure to seek out your help working through the cad. You are awesome at perfecting the fine details!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know you aren’t supposed to cross post, but it might be helpful to post in CS specifically about whether or not it could be a synthetic sapphire since it sounds like that is one of your main concerns. Do you have calipers? Listing says 0.50ctw and there are 10 diamonds. They look bigger than 0.05 each, but it’s hard to guess from pics.
I don’t understand what you mean by the culet being crushed. Do you mean it has a big chip?

Sorry I wasn’t clearer regarding the culet! It doesn’t look like a clean break type of chip, it looks more like something has ground away at the culet over time. The culet is rough looking and unpolished, I think it would technically be considered chipped.
I was thinking the diamonds looked bigger than advertised too, and the sapphire looks smaller than advertised to me. I could be very wrong though ;)). I took a picture of the sapphire pendant next to my ruby ring, which has 0.02ct diamonds in its halo and a 6.4mm / 1.45ct ruby center stone for size comparison. I’ll have to find my calipers and try to get an exact measurement on the sapphire and the diamonds in it’s setting.

Attachments

• C1199BF5-5379-442F-A043-6FFC4F97752C.jpeg
    C1199BF5-5379-442F-A043-6FFC4F97752C.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 17

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
So I really love this and think it was originally a ring too. 1200$ is a good/fair price for this. If you can hold the sapphire up to the light and try to get pics that would be good to tell if natural or synthetic. Do you see any color lines or inclusions?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I really love this and think it was originally a ring too. 1200$ is a good/fair price for this. If you can hold the sapphire up to the light and try to get pics that would be good to tell if natural or synthetic. Do you see any color lines or inclusions?

I love it too and am glad to hear you think it’s a good/fair price. I had packed it up to return it and couldn’t bring myself to ship it back, so I’m keeping it :)). I was able to loupe it and saw what I think could be a feather and I also think I saw a crystal. I’ll send it off to a lab at some point in time, just to be sure it’s natural though.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it too and am glad to hear you think it’s a good/fair price. I had packed it up to return it and couldn’t bring myself to ship it back, so I’m keeping it :)). I was able to loupe it and saw what I think could be a feather and I also think I saw a crystal. I’ll send it off to a lab at some point in time, just to be sure it’s natural though.

So ....
When are you wearing it out somewhere ?
After its been into your jewler for a once over

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So ....
When are you wearing it out somewhere ?
After its been into your jewler for a once over
That is a great question. I should have my jeweler look it over to make sure the prongs on the center stone are secure enough as they are. I scrubbed it pretty hard with a soft toothbrush when I cleaned it and it didn’t budge at all. I have also thought about sending it to DK or Sako for a light restoration and to possibly convert it back to a ring. I kind of like that it’s been through a bit and isn’t perfect. It has a well loved look and feel about it.
As far as when I will wear it out, it’s hard to say. With the virus situation going on I don’t go anywhere I would wear it. I mostly just go outdoors to walk or bike ride. I have wore it around my house though :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a great question. I should have my jeweler look it over to make sure the prongs on the center stone are secure enough as they are. I scrubbed it pretty hard with a soft toothbrush when I cleaned it and it didn’t budge at all. I have also thought about sending it to DK or Sako for a light restoration and to possibly convert it back to a ring. I kind of like that it’s been through a bit and isn’t perfect. It has a well loved look and feel about it.
As far as when I will wear it out, it’s hard to say. With the virus situation going on I don’t go anywhere I would wear it. I mostly just go outdoors to walk or bike ride. I have wore it around my house though :)

:appl:
Im happy you have warn it

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's pretty, accurately described, and appropriately priced. The RealReal is fairly legit, imo.

It's clearly had some love (the tiny abrasions at the facet meet points) and I think that's a good thing! Like you, I'm guessing it was a ring -- and that would better explain the wear pattern.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results