shape
carat
color
clarity

Question: What are you buying for your SO this holiday season?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m in need of serious inspiration for what to get my BF this Christmas. Unfortunately, I''ve used up most of my good ideas, and he''s very simple in his tastes (i.e. I spend, he saves), plus he doesn''t really NEED anything. Makes it very hard to shop for him!

So far he''s gotten:

Seiko watch (last Christmas)
Weekend out (hotel, aquarium, etc.) - V-Day
Pro soccer tix (his birthday)
NFL tix (our anniversary)

And now we''re back up to this Christmas. He loves sports, so I''m playing around with NBA tix, but I feel like I should be a little more creative. He says he just wants socks and underwear, lol.

So maybe I can get inspiration for all of you! What are you buying for your significant other for the holidays? Thanks!!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I''m getting dh a pair of nice slippers. That''s what he really wants. And then a nice radio that has plug in for his ipod. And probably a dress shirt and matching tie. I swear he''s eaten some of his ties, cuz their nowhere to be found and every morning he''s asking me if I''ve seen this or that anywhere.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
His main gift this year is a Leatherman Charge TTi. It's a multi-tool that comes in handy for all sorts of different things and he's been asking for one for quite some time! I think he'll be pleasantly surprised! I am having the hardest time not giving it to him though! Haha. Gotta wait til Christmas!!

As for others (this year):
-A sweatshirt he wanted from Old Navy
-New ACDC cd
-One of those remote control helicopter things you see out there for kids. haha. He wanted one so bad! (And sshhh, I can't wait to play with it myself! lol)
-A hat rack for all of his hats that are currently thrown about the apartment.
-A NY Giants pocket watch (A little collectible type thing)
-A mat for when he works on the cars. (Wanted to get him a creeper thing, the one with the wheels that go under the car but it's a little expensive but I might still get it anyway)
-A jewelry box/cell phone charger dock (it's pretty cool!)

And that's all as of right now...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re going to give ourselves one day out together. He''s going to block out a full day and a half from work during my winter break (I''m a teacher) and we''re going to spend the whole day together, and then sleep in and eat a late luxurious breakfast together the next morning. We''re not sure what we''re going to do yet, but whatever it is I love it already! (I''m thinking something super cheesy, like going ice skating on State Street, then lunch at our favorite place in the city, renting a few movies and staying in that night. Nothing huge, just fun.)

We''re not big spenders, so I much prefer a gift like this instead of a "thing". Oh, and we always give each other handwritten letters for the holidays and birthdays.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''re doing a "no gift" Christmas this year -- decided to spend use our fun money helping those less fortunate in addition to what we usually do. There are so many folks in our community who were hard hit by the downturn in the economy.
8.gif

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this year i got hubby the new iphone. it was time for an upgrade anyway and i knew he was lusting for one. i gave it to him early as a surprise and because he really needed a new phone. i''ll probably get him something extra to open on x-mas day though, a bunch of movies have come out on blu-ray that he wants, i''ll most likely get him those.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So far he''s gotten:

1 long sleeved button down shirt
1 short sleeved button down shirt
1 t shirt
2 comic book books (One is about Heroes and the other one is about Villains--and I''m not talking about the tv show)
1 pair of Teva flip flops
Something else that I haven''t decided yet.

Originally I wanted to get him a X-box 360 or a PS3, but he went and bought the 360 himself. Jerk. So I might just get him a game instead. He''s very practical and likes to get stuff he''ll use. Last year I bought him a fish grilling basket, and a lemon juice squeezer for the fish (among other stuff), because he couldn''t guess what they were (he likes to guess stuff, and I don''t like it when he guesses stuff-I figured he couldn''t guess a fish grilling basket!). I normally try to get him a couple of silly toys too.

Also, we''re going to Vegas the week before, so that''s kind of our present to each other. Woot!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't buy anything because my DH is getting two baby boys for x-mas!
2.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I''m going to get him either Freakonomics, or Bringing Down the House.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I don''t typcially give each other gifts. Most of the time we''ll do something together, like go to a concert, a show in Boston, an overnight somewhere, etc., and consider it our Christmas (or birthday) gift to one another. Last year I got my husband hockey tickets and we went to the game and then had dinner in Boston.

We''re going to Florida later this winter, so that''s our Christmas gift this year.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2008 8:57:51 PM
Author: neatfreak
I didn''t buy anything because my DH is getting two baby boys for x-mas!
2.gif

1.gif

Congratulations!
36.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
we started last year not giving gifts and it really didnt work. i still got diamond earrings and he still got new speakers for his computer.
this year we are supposed to be putting our money together for a small renovation project in the house. if he still gets me something i will feel like an a$$ for not getting him something, but i am sticking to the plan.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
You guys are great! I''m getting some really good ideas from this thread!

I think we''re still too early in the relationship to do no gifts
3.gif

I was thinking of getting him a pair of sunglasses...he lost his old pair last March while we were in Mexico, and then I bought him another pair (a nicer one, grr) and he lost it this past September...again in Mexico. Like 2 days in to the 6 day trip. So I was thinking about buying him a dozen pairs of much cheaper sunglasses...that way he can lose them and still have back-ups.

I wish BF was into video games! I would totally buy him a Wii...unfortunately, I''m way more of a video game fan than he is...!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Does he have a sweet tooth? Dale and Thomas Popcorn is delicious, but expensive.

lydia

Rough_Rock
I got my husband an Amazon Kindle. He loves to read - so the perfect gift.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm just not big on stock piling gifts for holidays months ahead of time and usually buy my kids' presents about 3 weeks before Christmas. At that time, DH will get some fun stocking stuffers, however, I have NO idea what I'll get him. There was that other thread about the economy impacting what would be purchased this year and I had mentioned there that I wasn't going to go crazy buying stuff. I'm pretty much in the same frame of mind as Haven in that DH and I would rather spend time together than buy stuff. If we were to spend a lot of money, it would be for a vacation. Of course the kids will get fun stuff, but we're not going crazy. One year the boys got over $500 in legos from various family members (some of those lego sets are insanely expensive $69-99. each). That is unbelievable excessive. Every time I vaccuum, I hear a clunk or two of small little bricks being sucked up. NO MORE!

ETA - and I just want to say, I'm not a buh humbug AT ALL. In fact I love Christmas and decorate the entire house with fun stuff and do the tree and all that! DH and I are just now trying to retrain ourselves to not go crazy and buy buy buy!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I always say I will start shopping early, and fail - this year it''s because I switched jobs. Sigh.

I am pretty sure I am getting him an Ipod since he keeps trying to steal mine :) Or a cd player and face for his car that plugs into MY Ipod.

We are not exchanging gifts because we both have places that money could go this year.
If I could, a ps3 or an xbox 360 -- perhaps a valentines day gift? He also REALLY wants the new iPhone, but just got a brand new blackberry less than 3 months ago! So spoiled
38.gif

And although we''re not doing gifts it doesn''t stop me from saying, "I want this for xmas... or this.... ooooh this would be perfect!"
28.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Exactly what he wants--a robe and mohair socks! We like to be cozy around here
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
The dark blue iPod nano.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Half a Nintendo Wii. (He''s giving me the other half!)
9.gif
36.gif

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
One of the gifts for my bloke is a Title. You can buy Lordships on the Net and it will suit him so well. It is only going to cost about 15 pounds but he will love the novelty value of it.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I gave away all of my good ideas to my parents and his parents
14.gif
..but I think I am going to get him some WoW cards and one other surprise.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2008 3:29:29 AM
Author: Samantha Red
One of the gifts for my bloke is a Title. You can buy Lordships on the Net and it will suit him so well. It is only going to cost about 15 pounds but he will love the novelty value of it.
Really? I was intrigued by the idea and looked it up, and the ones I found were all around £200.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
He got his first CD player ever when he bought his new car. I''m going to get him some jazz standards CDs and one Bob Marley - probably Legends.
Any suggestions on a good compilation CD for American Songbook type songs? He loves Dean Martin, Cole Porter, Frank...

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
This year we''ve decided on getting a flat screen for the house. I didn''t want one as we have two very good TVs already but he put up a good fight (the selling point was how much space we''ll save in our tiny living room).

So for Christmas we''re getting that for each other and aside from that, I''ll probably just get him some clothes. I know he would really like a PS3 but I also know that if I get it for him, he''ll be angry that I didn''t wait until the price went down so I''m still debating.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance and I agreed on getting each other one smaller item this year. I spent a tiny bit more than anticipated, but I got a GREAT deal on Columbia waterproof ski pants for him (not for skiing, for Ice fishing!). He already has them incase the lakes around here freeze before Christmas. It''s definitely something he really wanted, and he''s a happy guy.

I''m sure he''ll pick me up something small, but my present is that he''s coming with me to spend Christmas with my family. That''s what I wanted more than anything, and I''m a (very!) happy girl!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea...

I got him a Snapfish album of photos from our first year (and a half) of marriage

Other things on his list are -

a pair of Fossil sunglasses
Computer speakers
SI subscription (I think his mom is going to take care of that)
tickets/hotel/dinner for a basketball game at his alma mater this winter
massages
button-down casual shirts (my mom is on this - I don''t know why, but she has amazing taste in menswear. I think it''s a talent that has been latent because my dad has not the greatest taste and hates when people shop for him)
- and, before we cut our spending budget, we''d talked about a ping-pong table for the basement

Stocking stuffers:
Vintage N64 games
An LCD flashlight key fob
Sugared pecans (the kind you get at the mall...I got a recipe here on PS last year!)
Dress socks (nothing like socks in your stocking)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
A Wii Fit!
9.gif
My hubby is a gym rat so I hope he loves the Wii fit...

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''m so stuck on what to get my FF as well!
I too feel like I''ve used up the best ideas in the first year we were together. So far he''s gotten a kegerator (graduation/birthday gift) and a Movado watch (that he wears every day). I''m tempted to get him the whole Seinfeld boxed set but we have DVR now and at any given moment we probably have 10 Seinfeld''s already there to watch.

He got me a gym membership for a year (to get me through to when I have a *real* job) since I recently switched from my gym near school to the one he just joined. I''ve asked him not to spend too much on me otherwise since I know hes got one really pricey gift for me coming soon.
36.gif
(I hope) After that comes I intend on getting him some sort of engagement gift to commemorate the event.

I''ll probably get him a gift card to Borders or Barnes and Noble because he tears through books so quickly and the two times in the past I''ve tried to get him something from one of his favorite fantasy/sci-fi authors I picked out something he had already read.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results