shape
carat
color
clarity

Question regarding Robbins Bros. MSID vs. Normal Round Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SB_Gary

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone,

This is my first time posting any topic on the pricescope forums. I have been thoroughly checking them out for the last couple of months but I figured it was time to get some information.

I am going to be proposing to my GF in the next few months and wanted to make sure that I had everything ready to go well in advance. I have recently been shopping with my GF and looking at rings and she really fell in love with a Ritani "Endless Love" ring. The problem is that it is a little out of my price range. It''s about $7,000 and I am looking to spend closer to $3,000. The Ritani has a platinum setting and a .80 carat center stone.

Here is a picture of the ring:
79425.jpg

After talking with my GF she has said that she would want to get the ring in whitegold rather than platinum and also does not want the diamonds down the side of the band. She thinks it would be more fun to add a diamond on each side every year we are married.

So here is my question. Robbins Bros is being great and said that they could make a custom ring exactly like the Ritani one, without the side stones, etc. The thing is they want to sell me a .50 carat MSID diamond. They say that it will appear to be almost 3/4 carat in size and not lose any quality. They want $1790 for the diamond. It is a VS2, "G". I''ve read on here that MSID aren''t really as bright as you think and that they only appear "bigger" because they aren''t as deep. My girlfriend just wants to get a diamond that is very clean and white in color. Do you think I would be better off getting a standard round diamond that is .50 carats (which I assume is cheaper) then a Robbins Bros. MSID? I want to get the highest quality and largest diamond possible for the money I want to spend on the diamond which is about $1300.

I think with the pave diamonds around the center stone that the diamond and ring will look great, and large with a .50 carat center stone. I have just heard so many questionable things about the MSID''s that I think it would be smarter (and cheaper) to get a standard round diamond in the VS2/VS1 and Color G,H range. Basically, am I paying a markup just because I am getting a MSID diamond from Robbins Bros.?

Also, are you able to haggle down a price on diamonds? I would really like to use Robbins Bros because I love the finance options and also the warranty that they provide. They have also treated me great each time I''ve been in there.

Any input would be appreciated. I know this is confusing so if you have any questions please ask and I''ll respond as soon as possible.

Ritani Endless Love Diamond.jpg

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don''t recommend the MSID diamond. You bet you could get a .60-.70ct f/g/h VS2/SI1 ideal round brilliant that would probably look much brighter and whiter and bigger than the .50ct MSID for that price range.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL at RB's selling point:

Buy our flat MSIDs because they LOOKS larger! ...you will just pay double the price of a regular round.

BTW, you can't just "add" a stone for every year, later on down the road.

Clearly, to me, the answer is to get a white gold halo setting for 1.5 K, and a nice .7 for another 1.5K.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
You may want to do a thread search on Robbins Bros before purchasing there.

SB_Gary

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the input guys.... The only thing that worries me is the lack of having an actual Brick and Mortar store I can go to if I have any issues/complaints for the ring. This is a big and expensive purchase for me and I want my GF to be super happy. I also really like Robbins Bros. lifetime warranty where they will redip the whitegold ring for free, and also make repairs, cleanings and everything for free.

Has anybody had any experience purchasing a diamond from an online vendor and having Robbins Bros set it? Do they try and jack up the price on that or not allow you to get the warranty.

Do you know if it is possible to haggle with a place like Robbins Bros over the cost of the diamond? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS GUYS!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think most jewelers offer cleaning and inspections for free, so that they can cultivate relationship with you and you have free time while waiting for the cleaning, inspections to be down to browse their goods. Plating is in the regions of a $30-60 a dip. And most vendors, especially branded settings, offers quite good warranty on their setting. So RB is not really much of a deal.

Where are you located? There might be a pricescope vendor in town or nearby? GOG is in long Island, WF in Houston, JA in Maryland, near DC, etc...

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Why is it that they "want" you to buy a MSID instead of a round brilliant? What''s it to them? That sounds car-salesmanish to me.

With your budget, I would consider going with a pre-made halo like these so that you can get the biggest diamond possible:

Mondera

Blue Nile

White Flash

And then make sure that you have a full AGS or GIA report to check out so you can plug the stats into the HCA.

You''re right that personal and local service is a plus, but not if you''re not getting a good deal or even what you want. Even if you go with RB, I hope you''ll pick a diamond according to YOUR specifications. And make sure it has a good cut (like this)!

SB_Gary

Rough_Rock
Stonecold, I am located in central california about 2 hours north of Los Angeles. Thats why I went to Robbins Bros., they are the biggest dealer in the area that I am located in. I have also gone to some smaller local jewelers but nothing has grabbed my girlfriends attention like the Ritani Endless Love ring. She did send me a message telling me that she liked a ring that was similar. It was made by "Simon G" Have you heard of him? Is it a good brand?

Phoenix girl. The problem with all of those setting is that my girlfriend really wants the center diamond to basically be flush with the pave diamonds around it. She does not want it raised up. She wants it to be bezeled.

Do you guys think that if I went into Robbins Bros with information about prices and quality of diamonds I found online that I could get them to drop the price a little from what they are offering? I just want to get my girlfriend the best diamond I can for my money.

Thanks for the help guys... I really appreciate it!

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
didn''t robbins bros file for bankruptcy?
not much of a litetime warranty if they may not even be around within the next couple years...

someone correct me if I''m wrong...

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:32:14 PM
Author: SB_Gary
Stonecold, I am located in central california about 2 hours north of Los Angeles. Thats why I went to Robbins Bros., they are the biggest dealer in the area that I am located in. I have also gone to some smaller local jewelers but nothing has grabbed my girlfriends attention like the Ritani Endless Love ring. She did send me a message telling me that she liked a ring that was similar. It was made by ''Simon G'' Have you heard of him? Is it a good brand?

Phoenix girl. The problem with all of those setting is that my girlfriend really wants the center diamond to basically be flush with the pave diamonds around it. She does not want it raised up. She wants it to be bezeled.

Do you guys think that if I went into Robbins Bros with information about prices and quality of diamonds I found online that I could get them to drop the price a little from what they are offering? I just want to get my girlfriend the best diamond I can for my money.

Thanks for the help guys... I really appreciate it!
Hi Gary, The 3rd setting from Whiteflash that Phoenix linked is bezeled. It looks very similar to the Ritani.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 10:46:50 PM
Author: Namaste
not much of a litetime warranty if they may not even be around within the next couple years...

Are you talking about Shane Co.? Someone please correct me if I''m wrong!
2.gif

The Ritani Endless Love is a beautiful setting and the WF one does look very similar from what I can tell. Lucky girl!

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 12:13:20 AM
Author: Siamese Kitty
Date: 4/7/2009 10:46:50 PM

Author: Namaste

Are you talking about Shane Co.? Someone please correct me if I''m wrong!
2.gif

The Ritani Endless Love is a beautiful setting and the WF one does look very similar from what I can tell. Lucky girl!

Nope! It''s robbins bros.. http://www.nationaljewelernetwork.com/njn/content_display/majors/financial-reporting/e3i53c1a07074136ed8bfda61f5e49de5bd

so yea.. they may work with you on price. doesn''t hurt to ask!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results