shape
carat
color
clarity

Question re: resizing of thin band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bridetobe2005

Rough_Rock
We recently purchased a 1/2 carat princess cut solitaire set in white gold from a reputable jewelry store (I won''t use their name for fear of tarnishing their reputation). The band is a Tiffany setting and is very thin (I believe the girl said 1.5 or 2 mm). We had to have it sized down to a 4 1/2, and when I got it back from the jewelry store I noticed it felt too loose. I took it back and it measured as a 4 3/4 instead of a 4 1/2, so they agreed to size it down again. When I got it back this time it did fit, but upon very close inspection I noticed a small black line in the base of my diamond. I figured it must have been there before and I hadn''t noticed (the diamond is a G color and SI1 clarity). I also noticed that my band is misshapen and the girl said it was because it was so thin and hard to work with a second time. They offered to fix it, but I told them I would wait until our wedding date next June and have them fix it when I have the wedding band soldered to it. (The band is a simple white gold band of the same width.)

Now, though, just one week later, my ring feels loose again! Could something be wrong with the band itself because of resizing it a second time? Any suggestions?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Return it and get a new one. If this was a mall store, don't buy from them again. Buy from a real jeweler. OR if you want the mall ring, have it resized by a real, non-mall, non-chain store.

That sounds like they reallyscrewed up.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
It seems that some of us vary up to 3/4 of a size, so I'd just keep an eye on your ring for a few months and check how tight it is. My fingers vary by temperature and time of day, so I'd keep that in mind as well as the obvious bloating source
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Your fiingers swellling up & down will contribute to looseness, especailly in thinner band rings--rings that are tight onme in the summer spin on my finger in the winter--that's how dramatic it can be.

The second issue and more relevant one is the not-so-great workmanship you received on your ring. These people are professionals--I don't care how thin your band is, when you got it back, it should have been done right.

If you went to a restaurant and got a burnt steak and they said "Well, steak is hard to cook" would you be satisfied?
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results