shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on Diamond Shapes & Prices

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:read: I think I have read here that RB's are the most expensive cut (assuming cut, clarity, color, carat and quality are the same on two stones). Two questions...

1. Why?

2. What cut is the closest in cost/carat to the RB... and Why?

I know there are tons of variables here.. but I have seen in a number of posts where RB's have been referred to as more expensive than say a Princess and maybe I am way off here.. and say a Fancy Cut...like a star or the octagon I saw posted here recently is way different in price etc.. but just thought I would ask... just a point of interest as I hang out here reading the posts... :???:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Demand for one, RB is the most in demand shape. Also, RB is generally not the most efficient use of the rough, generally a lot more rough is polished off to get the same carat weigh of polish RB than some other shape, depending on the type of rough. So you get a smaller polish, final carat weight RB than if you cut it into other shape.

Price wise, no idea, probably cushion, a lot of ifs.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Stone-cold11|1310423381|2966797 said:
Demand for one, RB is the most in demand shape. Also, RB is generally not the most efficient use of the rough, generally a lot more rough is polished off to get the same carat weigh of polish RB than some other shape, depending on the type of rough. So you get a smaller polish, final carat weight RB than if you cut it into other shape.

Price wise, no idea, probably cushion, a lot of ifs.

Ditto. Two main reasons RB is at a higher price point are 1) Demand, 2) The round shape is an inefficient way to use a piece of rough.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting.. thank you... very much...

LGK

Ideal_Rock
And yes, a princess cut is lumped in with fancies in terms of being cheaper per ct. It's a much more efficient use of rough in particular. While they're the second most popular shape, they are still behind the classic round shape.

Loss of size from rough to polished is also part of the reason ideal cuts are more expensive; a less-than-ideal cut is cheaper because you can save more weight. (In part.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results