shape
carat
color
clarity

Question: Is there a difference?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
When looking at LGD on Ritani there can be a 3 carat G color VS2 for $3000 and then also a 3 carat G color VS2 for $5500. Whats the difference? Or even looking at James allen who's prices seem to be literally double Ritani, is it better or is a diamond a diamond.. again, i understand there may be nuances to the cut but does that really cause double the price? When you look at Ritani's 'breakdown of cost' it says the diamond cost them more, meaning they're not marking it up more, but if the basic specs of color, clarity and cut are the same then what is the price difference, are they just using a better quality of 'rough' diamond?

For example, if you put the nuance of the cutting aside, they're both G color VS2 'ideal', why is one $3000 and one $5500? Isn't cutting the same amount of work, so why is one double the other? Is is just the cut?

$5454, and doesn't look as nice from the still, and no video

$3190 and looks amazing to my eye (i feel like one of the lurkers is going to snatch this one up, it's stunning to me)

Is it just that prices are that subjective that they can say here's the exact same thing, but it's worth what you'll pay for it?? LOL

I bought a 3 carat from Ritani for $2979 and it looks the same to me. If I don't care about the 'nuance of the cut' , I am not that sensitive, I am just wondering if it's "not as good" as one that costs $5500?? Or is a diamond a diamond? Help me understand how Ritani is charging $3000 and James Allen is charging $6000 for what looks the same to me??

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m guessing it depends on the supplier or how long they have had it in inventory. I got a G vs2 2.94 for $2600 and there were worse stones cut wise for more. It takes time sorting them out but you can get a fabulous deal. A diamond is a diamond. Don’t forget to add the 3% discount!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with AprilBaby. James Allen is also one of the more expensive retailers, while Ritani is often one of the cheapest. I would guess the ones that are more expensive on Ritani's site were more expensive for them to acquire. The two stones you linked above are not ones I'd usually recommend.

Off topic, but is the gorgeous stone in your avatar an AVR?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with AprilBaby. James Allen is also one of the more expensive retailers, while Ritani is often one of the cheapest. I would guess the ones that are more expensive on Ritani's site were more expensive for them to acquire. The two stones you linked above are not ones I'd usually recommend.

Off topic, but is the gorgeous stone in your avatar an AVR?

Thank you! It's from Alex Parks! It's at David Klass now getting reset! I upgraded from a 2.27, so Alex was able to temporarily reset my new 2.5 carat I got from him, but it was really too big for the setting, the prongs were holding on for dear life LOL

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! It's from Alex Parks! It's at David Klass now getting reset! I upgraded from a 2.27, so Alex was able to temporarily reset my new 2.5 carat I got from him, but it was really too big for the setting, the prongs were holding on for dear life LOL

Your upgrade is just stunning! I have long admired your set and can't wait to see your reset!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I’m guessing it depends on the supplier or how long they have had it in inventory. I got a G vs2 2.94 for $2600 and there were worse stones cut wise for more. It takes time sorting them out but you can get a fabulous deal. A diamond is a diamond. Don’t forget to add the 3% discount!

thank you I did remember the 3%! It’s really weird it actually came overnight. I ordered it Wednesday and I got it Thursday. I really wanted G color (or even H), but I wanted the HPHT, I feel like this was literally the only one in the size that I wanted that was lower color and HPHT and under $3500. I am not concerned about the perfection of the cut but I still think it’s beautiful I think I’m going to keep it… as long as everyone thinks it’s OK to get a “cheaper” one because again it was just under 3000 and I am not concerned at all about the cut just about basically the rough diamond

1CBA462A-7534-454A-BDDF-4325E87900C2.jpeg

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Your upgrade is just stunning! I have long admired your set and can't wait to see your reset!

thank you! It's basically going to be the same setting just redone to accommodate the bigger stone!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you I did remember the 3%! It’s really weird it actually came overnight. I ordered it Wednesday and I got it Thursday. I really wanted G color (or even H), but I wanted the HPHT, I feel like this was literally the only one in the size that I wanted that was lower color and HPHT and under $3500. I am not concerned about the perfection of the cut but I still think it’s beautiful I think I’m going to keep it… as long as everyone thinks it’s OK to get a “cheaper” one because again it was just under 3000 and I am not concerned at all about the cut just about basically the rough diamond

1CBA462A-7534-454A-BDDF-4325E87900C2.jpeg

You did great! It's so hard to find a lower color HPHT. How are you going to set it?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it's just down to relationships with vendors, costs, and Ritani making a decison to sell more volume v more per transaction, if I had to guess. I think it's a different business model.

I recently bought a 2.62 G, VS2 from Ritani for $2400. It was close to Lightbox pricing per carat, so I was okay with that. I think Ritani just has a different business model they are using. Lots of Ritani "frequent flyers" I see in here, so I think it works!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's just down to relationships with vendors, costs, and Ritani making a decison to sell more volume v more per transaction, if I had to guess. I think it's a different business model.

I recently bought a 2.62 G, VS2 from Ritani for $2400. It was close to Lightbox pricing per carat, so I was okay with that. I think Ritani just has a different business model they are using. Lots of Ritani "frequent flyers" I see in here, so I think it works!

That’s true about volume! I was just concerned maybe the “basic rough” could be somehow “not as good”, but if everyone thinks that “a diamond is a diamond” and the stats are the same then I’ll take the 3 carat G VS2 for 2900$ over the G VS2 for 6600$ !

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I’m actually going to recut it… so I was worried about the basic rough of it because several of us have had that “grey” issue… since I’m recutting it, I just need the diamond to be good not the cut. Although this one really isn’t bad at all!

My criteria was G-H-I, eye clean, HPHT, around 2.7 carat, around $2500. This one is definitely bigger than I planned at 9.37mm! The HPHT was the key and it was the only one G color (there were a few E and Fs) I don’t know that the HPHT will make any difference but since it’s less common and @Kim N and @DejaWiz recommended it, I wanted it.

I seriously dislike modern cuts but this is actually kinda cool! Definitely still recutting tho lol it’s really not terrible considering I wasn’t looking at the cut at all as part of the criteria

D864AFAE-FA50-4087-AFED-BB79BC366CBB.jpeg

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I’m actually going to recut it… so I was worried about the basic rough of it because several of us have had that “grey” issue… since I’m recutting it, I just need the diamond to be good not the cut. Although this one really isn’t bad at all!

My criteria was G-H-I, eye clean, HPHT, around 2.7 carat, around $2500. This one is definitely bigger than I planned at 9.37mm! The HPHT was the key and it was the only one G color (there were a few E and Fs) I don’t know that the HPHT will make any difference but since it’s less common and @Kim N and @DejaWiz recommended it, I wanted it.

I seriously dislike modern cuts but this is actually kinda cool! Definitely still recutting tho lol it’s really not terrible considering I wasn’t looking at the cut at all as part of the criteria

You did great. Back in the day when I was hunting my lab diamonds, I found them on other sites by certificate number. There is a reason some vendors took down their certificate numbers. Same exact diamond selling at a higher mark-up. I went with Ritani and was very pleased. I don't want to pay more than I have to.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The recut sounds exciting! Are you recutting to an OEC? Just curious, do you see any blue nuance in the stone?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
The recut sounds exciting! Are you recutting to an OEC? Just curious, do you see any blue nuance in the stone?

I’m not sure… to my eye it looked the same as my five stone ring, but when I took a picture of it, I feel like you see it in the picture but not naked eye…

Here are a fee sunny pics where I maybe see blue in the picture (but didn’t in life)
1638AD19-CD6E-4735-A618-AC49622D4002.jpeg
DD4E7FA2-CC32-4B84-BF7E-319AF0E63128.jpeg B53DBB22-6FB3-434D-BC13-2918BC2F3482.jpeg

Inked

Brilliant_Rock

I was actually thinking transitional!?! I really like the chunky blocky facets of it, and I have the gorgeous OEC from Alex Parks but I haven’t 100% decided yet. I like the transitionals were such a short period of time that they are unique
2DCF2BE8-027E-4A7D-9740-92F75493F9D4.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure… to my eye it looked the same as my five stone ring, but when I took a picture of it, I feel like you see it in the picture but not naked eye…

Here are a fee sunny pics where I maybe see blue in the picture (but didn’t in life)

It looks terrific and similar to your five-stone in these pics. Do you have the report number?

I was actually thinking transitional!?! I really like the chunky blocky facets of it, and I have the gorgeous OEC from Alex Parks but I haven’t 100% decided yet. I like the transitionals were such a short period of time that they are unique
2DCF2BE8-027E-4A7D-9740-92F75493F9D4.jpeg

Oh my goodness, that photo looks almost identical to my recut! Though I don't have a culet. I adore those chunky wide arrows.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
It looks terrific and similar to your five-stone in these pics. Do you have the report number?

Oh my goodness, that photo looks almost identical to my recut! Though I don't have a culet. I adore those chunky wide arrows.

Absolutely!

I did put it through the HCA on a lark, and I think it was 1.2 however I did look at a lot of diamonds

Who did you re-cut if you don’t mind me asking?? May I see a pic??? You specifically asked for transitional??

I don’t know that I’m even finding a great example of the facet pattern I’m looking for, I am in no rush that’s for sure so I definitely want to get it right!! But I am honestly kind of digging this one’s cut even though it’s modern it’s definitely to splinter and thin but that facet pattern I posted is a similar look but chunkier.

I feel like I see transitionals that I love in actual diamonds , but when I google “transitional facet pattern“ I don’t see one that looks like that checkerboard pattern

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely!

Thanks for sharing! You got a great deal!

Who did you re-cut if you don’t mind me asking?? May I see a pic??? You specifically asked for transitional??

Southwest Diamond Cutters in Dallas did my re-cut. They've done re-cuts for a number of PSers. The ASET is the best pic I have that shows all the facets clearly. I showed them an inspiration pic and we discussed the potential proportions I could end up with. I had specific numbers I was aiming for, and they pretty much nailed it.

aset-jpg.813185

pink-halo-10-jpg.868364

Inked

Brilliant_Rock

Southwest Diamond Cutters in Dallas did my re-cut. They've done re-cuts for a number of PSers. The ASET is the best pic I have that shows all the facets clearly. I showed them an inspiration pic and we discussed the potential proportions I could end up with. I had specific numbers I was aiming for, and they pretty much nailed it.

aset-jpg.813185

pink-halo-10-jpg.868364

OMG DROOL!!!!! HOLY COW- that’s GORGEOUS!! is that rose gold? Are the diamonds pink or is that just reflection from the Rose gold? It’s absolutely stunning I definitely need more pictures!! Just wow!!

SW is actually who I was emailing with so yet again youve given me reassurance!!!! I was hoping for around 2.5 carats after the recut so do you think I’ll be ok with starting with 3 ?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aset-jpg.813185

pink-halo-10-jpg.868364

Omfg that glorious ring kills me every time. I love the cut so much. Its perfection. I adore transitional cuts

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG DROOL!!!!! HOLY COW- that’s GORGEOUS!! is that rose gold? Are the diamonds pink or is that just reflection from the Rose gold? It’s absolutely stunning I definitely need more pictures!! Just wow!!

SW is actually who I was emailing with so yet again youve given me reassurance!!!! I was hoping for around 2.5 carats after the recut so do you think I’ll be ok with starting with 3 ?

Aww, thank you so much, Inked! Yes, it's pink diamonds in rose gold. There are more photos in the thread below.

It does seem like you have enough diamond there to end up with 2.5, but I'm not an expert. I think they'll be able to tell you more once they have your diamond in hand.

Omfg that glorious ring kills me every time. I love the cut so much. Its perfection. I adore transitional cuts

You made my day, lovedogs, thank you!! ❤️

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, thank you so much, Inked! Yes, it's pink diamonds in rose gold. There are more photos in the thread below.

It does seem like you have enough diamond there to end up with 2.5, but I'm not an expert. I think they'll be able to tell you more once they have your diamond in hand.

You made my day, lovedogs, thank you!! ❤️

THIS IS STUNNING!!! You have made up my mind to do the transitional cut based on yours... seriously - WOW. I love it, it's so yummy. I can't believe it's over 4 carats and a halo because normally 4 carats looks so huge to me, but this looks perfect, obviously large but not comical, if that makes sense?? I really love it.

Did you give SW a facet map you liked or they sent you ones and you chose? I don't know what angles and things that you know easily as i feel like thats available for round brilliant but not for transitionals? Also, some OECs i see have that similar faceting so I want to get it right... would you mind looking at a few facet patterns i saved and give me your thoughts?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
There’s also the part of me that feels like it’s cut nicely and it’s 3 carats on the nose… maybe I shouldn’t touch it?

6B9D44AA-2835-4544-BD8D-6276CD61DF0A.jpeg

6CA0BFEF-62C0-4032-BA0F-83D1971E0419.jpeg

I am someone who changes my rings often and buys and sells. I’m definitely not buying it as an investment that’s for sure, however I don’t like to lose money so if I get bored of it in five years. Do you think it would *significantly* lower the value taking it from a 3 carat MRB to say 2.7 transitional? I’m not holding anyone to an answer I’m just curious what you guys think as people who love jewelry and see trends over years like I said I’m not buying it as an investment but I know me so it’s not out of the realm of possibility that I sell it in a few years

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THIS IS STUNNING!!! You have made up my mind to do the transitional cut based on yours... seriously - WOW. I love it, it's so yummy. I can't believe it's over 4 carats and a halo because normally 4 carats looks so huge to me, but this looks perfect, obviously large but not comical, if that makes sense?? I really love it.

Did you give SW a facet map you liked or they sent you ones and you chose? I don't know what angles and things that you know easily as i feel like thats available for round brilliant but not for transitionals? Also, some OECs i see have that similar faceting so I want to get it right... would you mind looking at a few facet patterns i saved and give me your thoughts?

Thank you for your lovely compliments! I sent SW facet patterns I liked, and I'd be happy to look at the facet patterns you saved.

There’s also the part of me that feels like it’s cut nicely and it’s 3 carats on the nose… maybe I shouldn’t touch it?

I am someone who changes my rings often and buys and sells. I’m definitely not buying it as an investment that’s for sure, however I don’t like to lose money so if I get bored of it in five years. Do you think it would *significantly* lower the value taking it from a 3 carat MRB to say 2.7 transitional? I’m not holding anyone to an answer I’m just curious what you guys think as people who love jewelry and see trends over years like I said I’m not buying it as an investment but I know me so it’s not out of the realm of possibility that I sell it in a few years

I think it may be more the fact that it's a lab diamond that might cause it to lose value in the next 5 years. No one can know what the lab market will look like, but would you be okay with the value dropping to, say, half or a third of what you paid?

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your lovely compliments! I sent SW facet patterns I liked, and I'd be happy to look at the facet patterns you saved.

I think it may be more the fact that it's a lab diamond that might cause it to lose value in the next 5 years. No one can know what the lab market will look like, but would you be okay with the value dropping to, say, half or a third of what you paid?

you are so awesome that you take the time to answer all of our questions, thank you - it's so nice to have people willing to share and help!! I REALLY TRULY appreciate you. I wish i had something to give back, if you ever want a tattoo, I'm your girl... LOL! Lets see ... tattoos, cats, dogs, oh, and taxes!!! Anything you want to know about taxes! LOL! I'm a CPA specializing in small business and high net worth individual taxes. I do talk to text on my phone so you sometimes get my stream of consciousness answers

I absolutely know that none of us can predict the future, but I truly think labs will kind of hold close to their value - IF you pay the ritani price!! LOL! I actually - so far - have sold anything I purchased for about what I paid. I don't get a sense that i will sell this, but who knows with me

I've been getting excited about thinking of the setting and seeing the recut, so it may be a labor of love once I do the re-cut.

These were the ones I had saved, the one is an OEC... but it looks similar to the transitional cut to me? Thank you AGAIN for taking all this time with me on this!

This is my favorite at the moment

74927E47-F695-4DC7-8A58-34D824159E99.jpeg

But I do like this also, I’m just not sure how either of these look if they were actually a diamond if that makes sense other than more like a facet pattern

97EA9895-9348-4D97-80AC-61C3CACB4DFD.jpeg

Sometimes I’m not sure what’s an OEC versus a transitional because I don’t want another flowery one, and I really like the outside chunky facets

B8C8B374-B98D-490D-9B0C-90F172D9FECC.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you are so awesome that you take the time to answer all of our questions, thank you - it's so nice to have people willing to share and help!! I REALLY TRULY appreciate you. I wish i had something to give back, if you ever want a tattoo, I'm your girl... LOL! Lets see ... tattoos, cats, dogs, oh, and taxes!!! Anything you want to know about taxes! LOL! I'm a CPA specializing in small business and high net worth individual taxes. I do talk to text on my phone so you sometimes get my stream of consciousness answers

You made me laugh out loud! :lol: Thank you for the offer!

This is my favorite at the moment

74927E47-F695-4DC7-8A58-34D824159E99.jpeg

But I do like this also, I’m just not sure how either of these look if they were actually a diamond if that makes sense other than more like a facet pattern

97EA9895-9348-4D97-80AC-61C3CACB4DFD.jpeg

Sometimes I’m not sure what’s an OEC versus a transitional because I don’t want another flowery one, and I really like the outside chunky facets

B8C8B374-B98D-490D-9B0C-90F172D9FECC.jpeg

Okay, the last photo you posted of @dreamer_dachsie's ring is one of the photos I sent to SW! I adore the cut of her stone. I think it's a similar flavor to the first photo you posted, though the first one has a bigger table (57-58%?) and Dreamer's table is closer to 50%. Since you already have a 57.5% table, it might work out perfectly that the first one is your favorite! The second photo will look and behave quite differently--is it a Canera European Round?

victor-canera-european-round-diamond-reviews-agsl-104078336003.png

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think it would *significantly* lower the value taking it from a 3 carat MRB to say 2.7 transitional?
I think that, for lab diamonds, most of the value is in whether you are wearing and enjoying it or not. ;-) I do expect that a 3ct lab RB, even a well-cut one, will sell at a huge discount from retail, and you might get more for a 2.7ct transitional since there are niche markets like PS (whereas someone looking for a "generic" nice RB has a zillion to choose from!).

So, ultimately, what will bring your eye joy more to look at it? A 3.0 vs 2.95 ct RB would have a tangible difference in *retail cost* (and probably resale cost) but zero difference in actual beauty-value to an eyeball since that's an imperceptible size difference. A 3.0 RB vs a 2.7 transitional becomes more subjective, depends on your own preferences for facet behavior, but for me, it would be the 2.7ct transitional hands-down. ;-)

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I think that, for lab diamonds, most of the value is in whether you are wearing and enjoying it or not. ;-) I do expect that a 3ct lab RB, even a well-cut one, will sell at a huge discount from retail, and you might get more for a 2.7ct transitional since there are niche markets like PS (whereas someone looking for a "generic" nice RB has a zillion to choose from!).

So, ultimately, what will bring your eye joy more to look at it? A 3.0 vs 2.95 ct RB would have a tangible difference in *retail cost* (and probably resale cost) but zero difference in actual beauty-value to an eyeball since that's an imperceptible size difference. A 3.0 RB vs a 2.7 transitional becomes more subjective, depends on your own preferences for facet behavior, but for me, it would be the 2.7ct transitional hands-down. ;-)

Thank you! After thinking about it, even if I only keep it for 5 years, the transitional would make me happier over the time I’m wearing it… and who knows maybe I’ll surprise myself and keep it forever ! Thank you! I like to think I’m very realistic on my resales. Anything I have sold I got exactly asking price and sold quickly because I’m realistic. It’s funny I see things on loupe troop or poshmark or whatever second hand site and I want to email peoples and tell them what their item is *actually* worth… like someone I saw selling a 1 carat moissanite for $5,000 … :confused:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results