shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for the Color Sensitive Ladies/Gents.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I know many of you color sensitive ladies own E colored Diamonds.
But - Does anyone who is color sensitive own a G Ideal RB? Can you tell me about it?

Kaleigh?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times!
Thanks,
Scintillating...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey scintillating!
35.gif
welcome to ps!
it is my opinion that you can't talk about color without talking about cut. an ideal cut diamond is going to direct more light back to your eye, not allowing it to see the 'color' of the diamond. if you find an ideal cut diamond of lower color (h-j) it will face up simiallarly as 'white' as a colorless (d-f) stone. in low light conditions where there is not a lot of light to be reflected back to the eyes, these stones may appear warmer (much less with a 'g' than with a 'j' of course) and if you view the stone from the side through the pavilion, you may notice some warmth as well. overall, i think the 'g' color stones are a great value as they are on the border of being colorless without the pricetag.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I too think that G is a great value!
I am color sensitive as they say, and I do own an E modern cushion. I was looking for an F or G...I would not hesitate to get a nice G!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pretty color sensitive and I have an H RB. To me, it always faces up very very white. From the side I can detect a slight amount of warmth in it''s color, but that''s it - nothing that bothers me in the least. I was concerned initially about having an H but I honestly never think of it - its just a non-issue because of how white it looks. Whenever I tell someone it''s an H, they are very surprised.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1 carat RB which is a good cut and a G. It is not an ideal as far as I know and I have never seen anything but colourless in it - even from the side. I think G''s are great and I am quite colour sensitive - however I also love warmth in diamonds. This one of mine seems totally white to my eyes and those of others.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ladies,

I've been looking for an F, around 7 mm. (F being the best value in the colorless family.)
Unfortunately, they have significantly gone up in price recently.
Also, they are few and far between it seems.

There are a few nice G's in our size and price point.
I was wondering if other color sensitive ladies were satisfied with a G.

I own an ideal H (.39) in a small pendant, and it appears a little too warm for my taste.
Unfortunately, I don't have Mara's lovely warm skin tone, and J's appear quite tinted to me.

So now it's either a much smaller F, or a G.

Confused and frustrated!
Scintillating...

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/10/2005 11:57:55 AM
Author: belle
if you find an ideal cut diamond of lower color (h-j) it will face up as 'white' as a colorless (d-f) stone..
Belle, just curious, have you personally seen examples of this?

Just last week I saw D, F, H, I, and J diamonds, all 1.5ct RBs, all side by side in a white grading trough under 6500 degree Kelvin lighting (what the GIA uses for color grading). Paviliion up, definitely a difference between the colors, especially from I to J. Face up, the differences were more subtle but still there.

I have to respectfully disagree with your comment.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. I have stones ranging from D to J. When I''m buying for myself, I won''t go below a G, whether it''s ''ideal'' or not.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Well I just went from an ideal cut F to and ideal cut H.

Although both are white - I could immediately tell the difference in the H. Side by side - ideal cut or not - you will see a difference.

Now, the question is.. can you live with the difference. At first - when wearing the H - I thought that it may have too much body color for me. Not that anyone else could notice it, but I could "see" it when in different lighting conditions.

However, after wearing it for a week - I noticed it less and less - and hardly notice it at all now. I though the color would always bother me, and I have to admit - it doesn''t any longer.

Going lower on the color was the only way I could get the size I have now. So it was a compromise that I presented myself with. And now, I can happily live with. If a G is going to meet your needs for size and price - I say try it with an open mind (and a good return policy).

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
cflutist,
sorry, wrong wording. i should have been more clear on the face-up appearance. yes, obviously there will be subtle differences as we are talking about stones that are levels apart in color. my mistake for assuming there would be that understanding.

and yes, i have compared very well cut diamonds in that color range which faced up very, very similar.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went from a 1.5 carat F color to a 2 carat G color and I have to say that while I am very color sensitive, I have not noticed any color in my stone, EXCEPT when I compare it to my "D" colored CZ''s. I also have an "F" colored Asha sim and I don''t notice any color difference.

This was a really big issue for me because I could have purchased a 2 carat F color for about $2000 more (or there abouts), and I was ready to go ahead and exchange it in the case that it wasn''t colorless enough for me.

I decided to keep this stone for a few reasons. One was that when I went to have it appraised, the person thought it was an "E" color. I also brought in the stone to Signedpieces and asked Isaac what he honestly thought of the stone and he louped it and thought it was an "F" color and he thought it was VVS clarity.

The clarity plot on this stone is amazing, other than one tiny pinpoint, the diamond is amazingly clear and everyone who has louped it thinks that AGS really came down hard on the clarity rating. The F was a VS1 also, but had 4 or 5 inclusions on the clarity plot.

The F color also had more light leakage and when it came to numbers (IE. HCA, pavillion, etc.), the G had better numbers in my opinion.

If I really had noticed a difference in color, I would not have hesitated to exchange this stone for the F color that was available.

Actually I think there were three total available- 2.03 G VS1. 2.03 F VS1 and a 2.32 F VS1.

I chose the G and absolutely love it!

One thing I do have to say is that G is probably the lowest I would go if I were to buy another stone. I think it''s more psychological for me than anything else. I think in general, we are more apt to believe that since a colorless stone is more expensive, it must be better.

I remember reading somewhere that when people were presented with different colored diamonds without knowing the colors, more people chose the warmer colors, but when they were told what the colors where, they chose the colorless ones instead.
2.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
We did it. We put a nice G from GOG on hold, and sent it to Jeff Averbrook for viewing.

I'm terrified I'm not going to like it.
I've had some weird maternal indoctrination about color.
She wears a D IF EC.
I actually afraid she won't like it either, which is silly I know.

Tell me what you folks think of the specs:
And Storm would it make a better pendant than ring : )

Depth: 60.8
Table: 56.1
Crown Angle: 34.2
Pavillion Angle: 40.8
Girdle: Medium
Cutlet: .4

I don't know what the Star/Upper Girdle Ratio is?
Or what the lower girdle length is?
26.gif

LightScope G 1.26.jpg

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
So, I went the see the 1.26 - G at the appraisers today.
It's quite a lively spritely little stone, nice and bright.
But.... Unfortunately the color was IMMEDIATELY obvious to me.
It's not obnoxious, but it's definitely warm, warmer than I expected.
Slightly warmer than the G master stone of the Appraiser.
Is this something I can get used to? Will it look better set? Will I warm up to it?

My honey liked it. - He's happy to go with this stone.
Jeff A liked it straight out of the paper. One of his first words was wow.
He had to keep telling me there is nothing wrong with a G.

I don't know what to do, with the recent price hikes almost everything, D-E-F,
in approx. 7.00mm size is out of our price range.
I've looked smaller, and there isn't much available these days.

I'm so disappointed, heart-broken almost.
My honey had to spend 30 min. talking me down - about what this is supposed to represent.
Suggestions?

Scintillating....

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
If you dont love it, dont buy it. Wait and find one you do.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I''m just not sure how I''m supposed to feel about it.

Are you supposed to know it''s the one? Absolutely?
Or is there room for doubt/worry?

Scintillating...

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would say you should look at it and go "MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!"
How would you feel if you went back and it was gone. Would you be okay with looking for another, feel like you had been punched in the gut or somewhere in between?
I definately agreee that you ought to stay within your budget. However there are a few options keep this one and live with the color. Keep looking for a smaller better color stone. If you are not sure how color sensitve you are go to a jewler and find out. Do you live near GOG. I went this weekend and they were great about showing me diffrent levels of color. If the G bothers you a bit an 1 might only bother you a bit. Perhaps you just need to explore a wee bit more prior to making your decision.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Well, I have an E color pear, and I do consider myself somewhat color sensitve. In a RB though, I would definitely consider going to a G or possibly H to get the size I want as long as it''s an ideal cut.

There was a time that I would have said no lower than F, but after comparing D through I color ideal RB stones next to each other, I would definitely to go G or H. Add a little fluorescence, and that''s a dream come true.
30.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not trying to be rude or knock anyone else''s prefereces at all, but why do people need to qualify their preferences for colorless diamonds by saying that they are "color sensitive"? I think diamonds in pretty much any color range can be beautiful, but I have to be honest and say that I think that J colored stones do not look the same as H colored stones, and H colored stones do not look the same as D,E, or F stones. What''s wrong with someone simply saying that they prefer no color, or tint, or "warmth" in their stones? I kind of feel that people are trying to be "PC" where color is concerned, or maybe that they are afraid of being stigmatized for preferring the more colorless stones or something.

Same goes for the people who tend to go for the diamonds in the H,I,J,K range. Why do they need to keep saying how "white" their stones look? We know they don''t look white like a D,E, or F, and probably don''t look as white as a G even. And that''s ok. Is there something wrong with preferring a J colored diamond over an F? Or visa versa? I sort of feel like some people are afraid they will be critisized for sacrificing color to get a bigger stone, so they try to make up for it by saying how white their near colorless stone is. And other people may feel like they will be critisized for spending more money to get a colorless stone when they could have had another stone of comparable size and clarity if they gave in and settled for that bit of tint.

I just want it stated for the record that I am an equal opportunity diamond lover, and I love my J diamond just as much as I love my F diamond, and all the little diamonds in between. I''m pretty sure that I would also love a K,L,M or any other diamond just as much. I am not color blind, nor am I color sensitive. And my only real preference where color is concerned is that I like SPARKLY color.
36.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Suzi, you inspired me. I''m coming out of the closet.

I really enjoy a well cut "M" color diamond! Heck, even an "R" for that matter.

There. I said it.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Wow,
I would love to see an ''M'' or ''R'' colour diamond. Anyone have one?

I agree that sparkle is what I like too. However, ''whiteness'' to the general market implies increased cost/value. So most of us on here are trying to maximize the colour vs. price factor and still get the whitest diamond we can to fool ourselves and others into thinking that we paid a lot!

Plus, we get the secret satisfaction of feeling that we got a good deal! And our "G'' well-cut diamond - looks just as good, if not better than our neighbors ''d''....

Mine is a ''g'' and I love it.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I''d love to see an M or an R, too. Maybe someone should start another "show me your..." thread with some of those colors?

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Everybody!

Especially Suzi and Rich!
1.gif

I suppose color sensitive is bit "PC", but I didn't realize there was anything wrong with that. Being "PC" or being color sensitive. What I meant by "color sensitive" is the degree to which one can accept and enjoy tint, warmth, yellow, grey in a stone. Suzi, you managed to verbalize a lot of what I've been thinking in regards to the way color is discussed in this forum. It's nice to hear someone be open about it.

I agree with you, a well cut diamond is beautiful!
It's sort of like appreciating a design aesthetic that isn't your own.
For instance, I love a very minimal modern design aesthetic - but I don't want it in my house.
I can, like you, appreciate a nice N or a J.
When it's for me, however, my preference is for colorless stones. - There I said it.
1.gif

Scintillating...

Also.... PLEASE!!!!
I would REALLY appreciate some advice/info about the color of a G stone UNSET versus SET.
Is there going to be much difference?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! If you set a ''G'' in platinum or white gold, it shouldn''t affect the color at all. If you set it in yellow gold, the stone might pick up some color from the setting.

Regarding "color sensitive", I took it to mean that a person is able to accurately guess the color of a stone without seeing the GIA or AGS report first.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I actually don''t think that there is anything ''wrong'' per se with being PC. I''m actually a fairly PC person myself most of the time. But since this is a forum about diamonds, discussing diamonds, and mainly here for sharing information about diamonds, I don''t see the need to be all the PC when it comes to discussing the 4 C''s of diamonds. I see so many people trying to justify, rationalize, qualify, or whatever you want to call it, their choices and preferences when it comes to diamonds. I posted something in a similar vein recently in a thread about size preference, and in the past I also commented on threads relating to clarity. I understand the concept of pricing, and that most people want to get the most "bang for their buck" when purchasing a diamond. How they get their bang is going to be determined, in part, by which of the 4 C''s they rank highest on their own list of priorities. Some people might even rank them all equal, and mortgage the farm for 2 carat D Flawless stone. And that''s perfectly acceptable.

Getting back to the color issue. I''m sure that it takes a trained eye and someone with a modicum of experience to accurately grade diamond color. There is apparently even some of leeway when it comes to the expert opinions, since the same stone can be graded differently depending on the particular grading lab and/or grader. But I''m assuming that the results would be pretty close, as in one grade either way, the biggest majority of the time. But unless a person is totally color blind, I would respectfully submit that one should be able to discern differences in appearance between any particular color grade. One may not be expert or experienced enough to know *which* color they are looking at, but would probably know if they were looking at a diamond that falls within the colorless range as opposed to the near colorless range. I am guessing that the differences between the grades are tighter the closer you get to "colorless", as in there would be a bigger noticable difference between say a ''D'' stone and an ''F'' than there is between an ''H'' and a ''J''. But a non-color blind person ought to be able to tell the difference between two different color grades, especially if they are shown side by side, even if they don''t know which color grades they are looking at.

To my mind, stones that fall in both the colorless and near colorless ranges are going to look *some* shade of white. The official definition agrees on that. But to say that a ''J'' is going to look "as white" as an ''F'', or even an ''H'' I think is often wishful thinking on the part of the J owner. And persons who don''t want to own a ''J'' because they are "color sesitive" should be aware that it pretty much just means they have normal vision and prefer the whiter looking stones. When it comes to clarity there is a mantra I''ve seen around PS referring to the "mind clean" stone. I think it might be prudent to add "mind white" to that philosophy.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 10:38:11 AM
Author: sjz

When it comes to clarity there is a mantra I''ve seen around PS referring to the ''mind clean'' stone. I think it might be prudent to add ''mind white'' to that philosophy.

I agree totally. I wanted, and got, a D stone. It''s high set in prongs, and I love to look at it from the side and know there''s going to be no tint whatsoever. Sometimes I look at it and see a flash of yellow, but because it''s a D I know that the yellow can only possibly come from the gold of the setting or a reflection from my shirt or some other non-diamond related source. If I had a J color diamond, I''d drive myself nuts trying to work out if that same yellow was the stone or just a reflection.

For me, "mind white" has to be colorless. I don''t think I''d be happy with even an F, because I''d be looking for tint the whole time. Knowing I have the most perfectly colorless diamond is what matters to me.

But then I was never after the most bang for my buck, I didn''t want the biggest stone for the money. It''s only when size (and budget) matter most that people start to think about trade-offs.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Suzi...

Good for you...speaking your mind of what so many others are thinking, but hesitant to say...I am new to PS in general, but am beginning to digest bits and pieces of info along the way...I currently have a "G-H" color stone in a .71 carat VSI princess cut in yellow gold. I helped design this back in 1992 and it has plenty of appeal, but I am ready for a change. My likes are leaning towards a slightly bigger center stone in a different cut, with a moderate change in color, if any. You made some excellent points that I hadn''t considered. The point about a G stone in white gold or platinum struck me and made me think. I have baguettes as side stones that are G-H and are SIs that I am not impressed with and--in my opinion--do nothing to flatter the center stone. At the time of purchase, it is what we could afford what, with raising a houseful of kids(I have 9 kids, all ours together, 7 boys, 2 girls)), mortgage, ortho, dr. visits, etc., was sufficient. Now, with the help of Pricescope, my eyes are opened and I want a little more...alright, alot more...and I think, no, I KNOW I deserve it!
emotion-5.gif

My youngest is 8 1/2 and even he has told me to do things for just me. So, with my 25th wedding anniversary upcoming in February of 2006, I have already been planting seeds with my dear hubby of what would make that wonderful milestone extra special...a new setting, with a wedding ring(we were too poor at the time of the upgrade in 1992 to afford it), in platinum more than likely, with pave--just enough,not too gaudy--and either a jubilee cut or a antique cushion brilliant cut. Besides this, a trip for me and my dearest for at least a week to someplace tropical is my dream for us come true.
emsmiled.gif

Back to being color choosy...I want more fire, brilliance and size than whiteness. Obviously, if I find a stone that screams at me "take me home, I am the ONE!" I will probably be more inclined to do just that over whether it is a F, G or whatever. Budget is a reality that anyone must deal with, which is no different in my case. My greatest goal is to educate my hubby a bit more in prep for our jaunts to the jeweler. I have made contact with a jeweler who does custom work and is willing to take my existin diamonds in trade if we need to pursue that route to make this happen. As much as I would selfishly like to just keep them, I am not overly emotionally attached to my existing diamonds. My first ring set was a different story. Unfortunately, those were lost in 1990 by my two oldest playing house when I took them off for just a brief moment while I was in the midst of doing some messy cleaning from one house to another. Now THOSE diamonds, I miss. Oh well, they''re gone...
emcry.gif

I am like most people who tune in to Pricescope...we are fascinated with diamonds, gemstones and jewelry in general. We enjoy rooting for others, we sympathize with others over loss in family, career or whatever, we want to be healthy and loss weight, we are thrilled with proposal stories, and we are all diehard romantics of some sort or another. This forum to me is a positive outlet that is public and can be immensely fun. I look forward to checking in on it. I love to look at the bling, love, love,love the pics that are so inspiring to me now beginning my search. My family knows where to look for me if they cannot find me anywhere else in the house: check her computer area cuz she''s probably visiting Pricescope.
emotion-15.gif

Again, thanks for saying what needed to be said and in the manner it was said. No reason for anyone to be offended or overtly sensitive cuz nothing was said to be taken that way from my viewpoint. Thanks for letting me ramble...
emembarrassed.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I appreciate all the positive comments about my posts. I''m especially impressed with Richard for coming out of the closet...bet you''re glad to be out of there, Rich...LOL!

Anyway, I sort of feel like I highjacked the thread a little bit. Doesn''t anyone have a ''G'' to talk about or post pictures of? Scintillating is eager to know about ''G''s I wish I had one to post. I kinda wish I had a diamond in EVERY color for that matter. Wouldn''t that be fun?
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 2:29:58 PM
Doesn''t anyone have a ''G'' to talk about or post pictures of? Scintillating is eager to know about ''G''s I wish I had one to post. I kinda wish I had a diamond in EVERY color for that matter. Wouldn''t that be fun?
9.gif

Here''s my G but it''s an OEC not ideal cut.

questringtop.jpg

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 10:19:14 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Suzi, you inspired me. I''m coming out of the closet.

I really enjoy a well cut ''M'' color diamond! Heck, even an ''R'' for that matter.

There. I said it.
Me too. I recently bought a 4.81 M VS2 estate piece because it blazed not just in the jewelers case and but also outside under overcast skies. I will try to get photos I can post, but my photograhic skills still need sudstantial work.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 2:29:58 PM
I appreciate all the positive comments about my posts. I''m especially impressed with Richard for coming out of the closet...bet you''re glad to be out of there, Rich...LOL!

Anyway, I sort of feel like I highjacked the thread a little bit. Doesn''t anyone have a ''G'' to talk about or post pictures of? Scintillating is eager to know about ''G''s I wish I had one to post. I kinda wish I had a diamond in EVERY color for that matter. Wouldn''t that be fun?
9.gif

Thanks Suzi! I do appreciate your venting on color.
We do hear A LOT of justifications about Color on Pscope. "My J''s as white as a G..", or whatever.
"I''m CRAZY I needed an E" - I''d be much happier if people said I love my diamond''s warmth next to my skintone, or I needed "icy white" (old ps reference, hehehe.) , etc.
I think it would be much more honest, and much more helpful to people seeking advice about color.
I had really internalized the PS mantra about ideal G''s, and was very surprised to see as much body color as I did. I think I was expecting them to be "icy white." (Not that it wasn''t a VERY beautiful stone, it just wasn''t what I expected...)

Yes, more G pics please!
More comments on whether setting will change the color appearance as well.
More comments about your g''s in general.
And.... If you need to come out of the closet, that''s welcome too.
1.gif

Thank you.

Scintillating...

Close-up-G-1.26-FOR-WEB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results