shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Expert on Eight Stars & Ideal Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
I have several questions:
1) Is it true that all 8* diamonds are all ideal cut always?
2) Is it true that most vendors won''t negotiate on 8* diamonds?
3) I noticed that an 8* would cost me $5,000 more than an ideal cut of the same size (around 1.5 or so)and clarity but I would have to take a little less on the colour for an 8*. Does that sound about right?
Thank you!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 6/10/2003 11:20:34 PM Meraj wrote:
I have several questions:
1) Is it true that all 8* diamonds are all ideal cut always?
2) Is it true that most vendors won't negotiate on 8* diamonds?
3) I noticed that an 8* would cost me $5,000 more than an ideal cut of the same size (around 1.5 or so)and clarity but I would have to take a little less on the colour for an 8*. Does that sound about right?
Thank you!----------------
1. Things may be different now, but we seem to recall that Richard used to cut his stones to fall within the proportions range of zero ideal cut to one - excellent. But proportions weren't the focus of Richard's cutting technique, he focused more on facet alignment...

2. 8* maintains their price point by "suggesting" an appropriate selling price and dealers are more or less prohibited from discounting so expect to pay a premium if you really want an 8* stone...

3. About 40% more than the average ideal cut diamond of the same quality based on our last price comparison... We seriously considered taking on the 8* line but we simply couldn't see a distinct difference in the amount of light return which is something we would need to have seen in order to be able to justify the 40% price increase... And with a client base that is comprised primarily of analytical engineer types, we would need to be able to quantify the difference in light return in order to justify the price difference to our clients, the reality is that we just couldn't justify it... We're not saying that you shouldn't buy an 8* just that you should compare it carefully to a tightly cut ideal cut diamond to see if you are able to see a difference for yourself... May we suggest that you compare it to an ideal cut diamond cut within the following tolerance:

Total depth between 59 - 61.8%
Table diameter between 55 - 56%
Crown angle between 34.3 - 34.8 degrees
Pavilion angle between 40.6 - 40.9 degrees
Girdle: thin to medium, faceted or medium, faceted
Culet: GIA None or AGS Pointed
Polish: GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal
Symmetry: GIA Excellent or AGS Ideal

Take that for a spin and we think you'll be giving 8* a run for their money...

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Thank you for answering in such detail and providing me w/sample specs to compare the 8* with.

It's so hard to decide when you aren't an expert. This forum is very helpful for us novices.

Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results