shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for colored stone peeps... How do you stop?!

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am officially on a bling ban for the rest of this year (and it is only March, lets see how long this is going to last)..... because I have 4 projects going this year and I have committed to myself that I need to finish them before buying anything new. Trust me, it is REALLY REALLY hard. Being still on PS is not a problem, I love hanging out with all you lovely people. However, Instagram is a big trap for me. I tried to turned off the push notifications of the vendors I follow. I was good for a week, then i turned it back on, then off and on like that. I felt like I was going pyscho.

I am now moving back onto browsing Redfin and Zillow, that actually has killed some of my impulse buys.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
You... don’t. :Up_to_something:

Yanni_815

Rough_Rock
It is so hard! Especially for me since I love looking at loose stones, like a mineral collector.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thrill is when you find and acquire that forever stone of your dreams. This is surpassed by setting it in a dream setting with an end result that exceeds expectations. You have now found two of these stones in a relative short time span. Enjoy the high buzz of these for a while... good things come to those who wait as inspiration for your next stone will come sooner than later. I love ❤️ your sapphire ring and can’t wait to see what you do with that stunning emerald! ( I do not know what your diamonds look like to comment but I know they must be gorgeous.)After the grey spinel, perhaps an opal like Missy’s or a gorgeous huge golden south sea pearl.Or even a glowing blue pariba...so many options.

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
I started my colored stone journey wanting a rainbow of stones—as in ROYGBIV, which equals 7. It turned out to be LOL, because apparently one needs multiple blue sapphires in different shades, and of course, multiple pinks and pink-purples in sapphires, garnets, spinels, tourmalines...

After a while, it has gotten easier for me because I have collected stones I like. So I ask myself, “But would that be too similar to my purple JuliaB?” I could buy every little pretty stone, but the cost of settings is hard to accept, especially with gold being so high. I decided it IS okay to have a little collection of pretty stones I’m unlikely to set, but that I enjoy looking at like a mineral collector.

Also, I started collecting camellias. They are a lot cheaper. :lol:

57893628-E42B-42D9-B269-5E187850B978.jpeg 57893628-E42B-42D9-B269-5E187850B978.jpeg 6E931887-1598-4FD0-8E12-2A7AB7BFCFCD.jpeg 76E8C4BC-5997-49C2-8AD9-16F3BAAFACB6.jpeg D693BF0B-FE6B-44C9-95BB-594F3B9C2797.jpeg A5AB9C07-7686-4B8A-AEB3-3C2059A3A076.jpeg

I‘m loving the responses on this thread! I haven’t started collecting CS but am so curious about what it would be like if I started.

I adore your Nuccio’s Pearl camellia @MissyBeaucoup! I have a both a Nuccio’s Pearl and a Nuccio’s Gem. This is so fitting for PS!

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Collecting is a disease with no cure. I have a wide variety of gems, but very modest sizes set in gold or sterling. I buy the best quality I can. Sometimes in order to scratch a particular itch I buy synthetic, such as ruby and sapphire, cause the real thing in the quality I want is not gonna happen for me. Also I have had to swear off buying peridot...it is my favorite and if I see it I want it! Being here has whetted my appetite for pearls and jade...don't think I will ever own jade because royal jade is what thrills me, but the prices!!
I am on a no buy for the rest of the year because of the beautiful tanzanite I got from Pinkmartini87. It is worth it to me because I have lusted after a stone in that kind of setting for years...

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m no quitter :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the hardest thing to stop is taking photos. I have more photos of my gems in my camera roll than my kids!! That’s horrible! Even my kids tell me I’m horrible for that!!!

I just wish I had a decent camera!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think the hardest thing to stop is taking photos. I have more photos of my gems in my camera roll than my kids!! That’s horrible! Even my kids tell me I’m horrible for that!!!

I just wish I had a decent camera!!

Be careful what you wish for, T L!

I think my smartphone has a great camera, but nothing, not even taking videos and looking for still frames will make it capture light sabers haha!

Reactions: T L

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*sigh* I may be breaking my no new bling in 2021 promise to myself, just waiting to hear from Jeff W if he has a suitable Tsavorite for me after receiving his Gem Scoop mail drop yesterday. :roll2: :Up_to_something:

DK :lol-2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful what you wish for, T L!

I think my smartphone has a great camera, but nothing, not even taking videos and looking for still frames will make it capture light sabers haha!

@voce , What phone do you have? Mine is horrible, especially at capturing geeen.

voce

Ideal_Rock
*sigh* I may be breaking my no new bling in 2021 promise to myself, just waiting to hear from Jeff W if he has a suitable Tsavorite for me after receiving his Gem Scoop mail drop yesterday. :roll2: :Up_to_something:

DK :lol-2:
I will go the opposite direction of the enablers and tell you to stay strong, stick to your plan. No ONE piece of bling you buy yourself is going to contribute materially to your quality of life if your other life goals aren't in order.

@voce , What phone do you have? Mine is horrible, especially at capturing geeen.

My phone is Pixel 3a, not the newest phone out there, but was like a steal compared to the competitors in the $300 price range. I think there was a $200 option, but I always have to max out on memory for audiobook downloads. The perk of having a Pixel from Google is that pictures you take with it do not contribute to the data you use on your Google account.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce, no hope. Jeff W has a bigger medium Tsavorite that should yield a finished stone between 2 to 3ct that he did not mention in his Gem Scoop maildrop!

A good size Tsavorite is on my wish list, and I can't let this opportunity slip through my fingers!

No more after this one!

DK :oops2::lol-2:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep coming back and enjoying the range of response on this thread!

From "Why Stop?!?" to "Step Away From The Instagram" :lol:

I had a moment the other night when I saw a stone that was just like a stone I already own... only bigger... and I was like... :naughty: It was a rare instance of self control that may never be repeated!

BTW, that grey spinel that "must have been sold and we forgot to take down the listing" is now gone from Etsy but is still up on Ebay. For SIGNIFICANTLY more money. Super annoying.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm fussier now as I've educated myself more so that slows me down plus I'm trying to save a house deposit so money is put towards that instead.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I keep coming back and enjoying the range of response on this thread!

From "Why Stop?!?" to "Step Away From The Instagram" :lol:

I had a moment the other night when I saw a stone that was just like a stone I already own... only bigger... and I was like... :naughty: It was a rare instance of self control that may never be repeated!

BTW, that grey spinel that "must have been sold and we forgot to take down the listing" is now gone from Etsy but is still up on Ebay. For SIGNIFICANTLY more money. Super annoying.

What’s the spinel story? Is that a different thread? Curious!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s the spinel story? Is that a different thread? Curious!

On a whim I bought a grey spinel that came up in emegumi's thread (after confirming she was taking a pass on it of course!). The seller came back to me and said the stone must have been sold "off line" but the listing wasn't taken down... buttttt... the stone is still up on Ebay, and for a lot more money than I paid. I was tempted to go back to the seller via Etsy and ask what was going on, however I took it was a sign an decided to just move on. Let us be clear though: I'd already set that sucker in my own mind and was envisioning it on my hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results