shape
carat
color
clarity

Question and looking for pics about diamond sizes for larger fingers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Just wondering for those of you with large fingers (think at least a 7.5) like mine what size and shape is your engagement ring diamond? I feel like sometimes here on Pricescope things are a bit off, it seems like all the diamonds are on the large size and all the fingers are on the small size. I get why the diamonds are big, if you are here then you most likely are a diamond lover and it makes sense to see bigger diamonds but what is with the small fingers? I never thought my fingers were small by any means but I never thought they were HUGE either and in comparison to everyone else I feel like they are very big. So, I would love to get your opinions, and pics if you have them, of larger fingers and what diamond sizes look like on them.
2.gif

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I have a size 7.25 finger and I feel like sometimes this board skews reality, because my fingers aren''t huge or chubby. My best friend, however, has teeny tiny fingers and she''s the same height and weight as me. It all depends on your genetics really. I guess I got my fingers from my dad''s side of the family; they tend to to be more stalky or something I guess.

Anyway, back to your question... I think it really depends on how long your fingers are, and what shape they are. The girth of your finger may be large to you, but the length of your fingers may be longer than mine.

I think the secret to finding the right size stone and shape is to just try them all on at a jewelry store. Obviously, you have to go with what you can afford. We decided to do a round halo setting, with a very thin band. The thin band makes my fingers more delicate, and the halo setting detracts the 1.092 from looking tiny on my "big" finger.

Suggestions? Try everything you can get your hands on.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
I just saw the post about small diamonds on larger fingers but are there any of you with pics that have larger fingers and diamonds around a carat (a little smaller or bigger too)? I would love to get an idea how the different sized look on fingers that look like mine!

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
curiopotter, do you have any pics?

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, no. My ring is still being made.

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Candlelite,

I too have been curious for some time now about the "small finger-big diamond" syndrome on this forum! Is this real?!?
6.gif

I have to say, though, that my hands are bigger than most girls'' and even some men''s
7.gif
and I do have a size 7 ring finger.
40.gif
At least I am skinny (I am 5''7" and wear size 2 clothing) and so are my fingers! haha...
31.gif

To answer your question, I do wear a 1.81ct princess cut diamond which was set originally in a cathedral setting in platinum (seen in the attached photo). I am currently in the process of resetting my stone in a more delicate setting: Ritani''s endless love with halo. I am hoping that my fingers to appear a little more feminine with this new setting of mine.
9.gif
And of course... I am also hoping that my diamond will appear slightly larger-not that it is so small!
3.gif

1.81ctprincessonsize7finger.jpg

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 2:20:44 AM
Author: kohdy

Candlelite,

I too have been curious for some time now about the ''small finger-big diamond'' syndrome on this forum! Is this real?!?
6.gif

I have to say, though, that my hands are bigger than most girls'' and even some men''s
7.gif
40.gif
At least I am skinny (I am 5''7'' and wear size 2 clothing) and so are my fingers! haha...
31.gif

To answer your question, I do wear a 1.81ct princess cut diamond which was set originally in a cathedral setting in platinum (seen in the attached photo). I am currently in the process of resetting my stone in a more delicate setting: Ritani''s endless love with halo. I am hoping that my fingers to appear a little more feminine with this new setting of mine.
9.gif
And of course... I am also hoping that my diamond will appear slightly larger-not that it is so small!
3.gif

LoL... that cracked me up.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
kohdy, beautiful ring! My sister and I actually wear the same size in clothes (size 6) and have the same size fingers (about an 8/8.5 ring finger). We can trade everything including jewelry. However, my sister gets teased by all of us (all in good fun) because although we have the same size fingers everyone always says my hands look girly (and they make fun of me because I hate to touch a dish, they claim thats how I keep my hands nice LOL) and hers look like man hands. I am also 5''8 wear a size 10 shoe while she is 5''6 and wears a size 8. So I get the nicer hands but she gets the cuter, smaller feet. I''m ok with that!
2.gif
Although we wear an average clothing size we are still stuck with these big (and I feel like mine are pudgy fingers). I always thought they were normal but based on the sizes here they are NOT!
19.gif

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 2:23:16 AM
Author: curiopotter

Date: 4/3/2007 2:20:44 AM

Candlelite,

I too have been curious for some time now about the ''small finger-big diamond'' syndrome on this forum! Is this real?!?
6.gif

7.gif
40.gif
At least I am skinny (I am 5''7'' and wear size 2 clothing) and so are my fingers! haha...
31.gif

9.gif
3.gif

LoL... that cracked me up.
Hello Curiopotter,

I am glad you find it humorous! We have to find humor in our misfortunes, right?
4.gif
Life is too short to be crying over some defective genetics that we inherited... or, maybe just me.
40.gif
In any case, I am figuring that things could have been so much worse!
3.gif

Also I am so glad that I finally caught your attention; I have been wanting to meet you Curiopotter!
4.gif
I really wanted to compliment you on your great talents! You are a great artist, and I hope that you will be a great success in a near future!
2.gif

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Freaking tall people.

I think maybe not everyone is as tall as you guys! I''m 5''2"!
No wonder your finger size is a 7.5!

I still think a 1.0-1.5 carat diamond would look fine on your fingers. If you''re worried about it, and on a budget, see if you can get some side stones to make the bling-factor more substantial for your finger size. I still say getting a thinner band helps make fingers look more delicate.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much Kohdy! :)

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 2:36:08 AM
Author: curiopotter
Freaking tall people.

I think maybe not everyone is as tall as you guys! I''m 5''2''!
No wonder your finger size is a 7.5!

I still think a 1.0-1.5 carat diamond would look fine on your fingers. If you''re worried about it, and on a budget, see if you can get some side stones to make the bling-factor more substantial for your finger size. I still say getting a thinner band helps make fingers look more delicate.
LOL I guess we all have size bias in some way or another! I am looking at 1.25 princess diamonds right now, although I am considering round. I am not really worried about the size on my finger, I think it will be good, it just seems when I see pics of diamonds in that range they are always on tiny fingers!

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 2:30:01 AM
Author: candlelite80
kohdy, beautiful ring! My sister and I actually wear the same size in clothes (size 6) and have the same size fingers (about an 8/8.5 ring finger). We can trade everything including jewelry. However, my sister gets teased by all of us (all in good fun) because although we have the same size fingers everyone always says my hands look girly (and they make fun of me because I hate to touch a dish, they claim thats how I keep my hands nice LOL) and hers look like man hands. I am also 5''8 wear a size 10 shoe while she is 5''6 and wears a size 8. So I get the nicer hands but she gets the cuter, smaller feet. I''m ok with that!
2.gif
Although we wear an average clothing size we are still stuck with these big (and I feel like mine are pudgy fingers). I always thought they were normal but based on the sizes here they are NOT!
19.gif
Thank you Candlelite!

Seriously, this is way too funny because I can totally relate to your story! I have a sister who is exactly as tall as me (5''7") and wears the same size clothes. BUT she has much smaller hands (5-5.5) and feet (7). Although I wear bigger size shoes (8.5), my feet are skinnier and cuter! So it all comes down to this: I have the men hands, but my sister has the men feet! Ha! I guess one cannot have it all!
9.gif

But the fingers... I think we are actually on the larger side when compared to the norm. Most of my friends have fingers that are between 4 and 6. I even know of someone whose finger-believe it or not- is 2.75. Needless to say that she needs everything custom made!

avlis

Shiny_Rock
ya, it always seems like its a 2ct stone on a size 4 finger around this joint.

Well, here is the ring i got for my FI, showing off it''s flourescence too. It is a 1.24ct (7mm) on a size 8 finger.
I hope this helps with perspective.

ring_flouro.jpg

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
glad i''m not the only one! i wear a 6 3/4, so basically a 7, and i thought my fingers were the biggest on ps! i do have some pretty big mitts, and it''s definitely genetic. my step mom is same height as me and not as skinny as me and she wears a 4 1/2! actually though, the other day i had lunch w/ a friend and she said she wore a 7 and i thought her fingers & hands looked perfectly normal! we''re both tall, she''s maybe 5''7" or 5''8" and i''m 5''9".

well, i agree about the thin band. also a halo helps. my first setting was a halo w/ a thin band and a 1.5 ct rb, and it looked plenty big. but be careful--we got the setting at a pawn shop and didn''t know its history or anything about it, and one of the sapphires fell out a few months later. i didn''t want to deal with that ever happening again, so we set the diamond in a simple solitaire (again, very thin band) and i''m going to wear it with an eternity band (1-1.5 ct) when married. so i recommend a halo setting if you get one that''s well-made. also realize that you may not be able to wear a wedding band next to it, or you''ll need to wear one that''s curved and it''s going to add thickness to the whole look, and also look lop-sided. or are there halo settings that you can wear a regular band with?? i''m not sure.

i''ll try to find the pics i posted last sept of my halo setting, and post a link to that.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
okay, this was my ring. i don''t have any pics of new solitaire setting, but i''ll post some later if anyone wants to see it.

s&rb ring.JPG

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m just under 5''6", and I wear a 5.5. I have genetically-controlled bony hands. If you look at pics of my mom holding me the day I was born (she was my age at the time), it looks lke it could be ME holding me. I also have pretty long fingers, or so I''ve been told.

That said, when we went looking at rings (keep in mind this was at Tiffany''s where the dimaonds sparkled quite a bit), anything much bigger than a 1.25ct had me saying "oh gosh, any bigger would be too big!". Maybe it''s less to do w/ actual ring size and more to do w/ bony/fleshy/aspect ratio? Either that or I guess I''m just not a size queen like the rest of you
3.gif

Lady Lulu

Shiny_Rock
35.gif
Well... I am 5''11 and I wear a size 7 1/2. My fingers are long and I have long fingernails. My current e-ring is a three stone trellis set with .75 princess in the center and .25 princesses on the sides. I pair that with a a .30 channel set band (princess). Coverage is important to me for obvious reasons, and I think this combo is good on my fingers.

That being said, I am currently having a new e-ring made by Leon Mege''. It will be a long awaited "upgrade" for me, although I have no intentions of relinquishing my existing set - it really is quite beautiful.

My new ring will be 4.65 carats total - 3.24 ct emerald cut center, .90 tw trapezoids and .51 tw bullets set in a platinum asprey setting.

As soon as I have it on my hand I will post pictures of both sets. Hopefully, I will have it by the end of this week or the beginning of next.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
avlis, love your ring!!! Do you mind sharing where you bought it? Was it online? I love the setting, I don''t have much ring experience but I just love the overall sparkly look of the diamond with the setting.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
nejarb, your ring is beautiful! I love the sapphires, they are actually my favorite stone and I wear one on my right hand all the time. I love the look of halos, they certainly would help fill the space on my finger, and I have seen some beautiful ones on here but I don''t know if that is what I want for an engagment ring. I have seen some pics on here of some people with a large sapphire with a diamond halo and I think it is breathtaking, I would love to get that for my right hand some day!

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 9:27:15 AM
Author: nejarb

well, i agree about the thin band. also a halo helps. my first setting was a halo w/ a thin band and a 1.5 ct rb, and it looked plenty big. but be careful--we got the setting at a pawn shop and didn''t know its history or anything about it, and one of the sapphires fell out a few months later. i didn''t want to deal with that ever happening again, so we set the diamond in a simple solitaire (again, very thin band) and i''m going to wear it with an eternity band (1-1.5 ct) when married. so i recommend a halo setting if you get one that''s well-made. also realize that you may not be able to wear a wedding band next to it, or you''ll need to wear one that''s curved and it''s going to add thickness to the whole look, and also look lop-sided. or are there halo settings that you can wear a regular band with?? i''m not sure.

i''ll try to find the pics i posted last sept of my halo setting, and post a link to that.
I completely agree with what you said. I think the quality of workmanship is especially important in micro-pave rings. That is also why I purchased my ring from Ritani , who will guarantee his work for a lifetime of the ring: diamonds on the setting if lost will be replaced. Also I llike their "perfect match" design:http://www.ritani.com/flash/main.html You could pretty much wear any wedding bands with Ritani''s e-rings because of it. The only thing is, you have to be willing to pay the premium for designer rings! I would say, though, that it is worth it!

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 10:31:53 AM
Author: Lady LuLu

I am . currently having a new e-ring made by Leon Mege''...
My new ring will be 4.65 carats total - 3.24 ct emerald cut center, .90 tw trapezoids and .51 tw bullets set in a platinum asprey setting.
Holy Cow Lady LuLu! Wow... I cannot wait to see your new ring! Leon Mege is the man! If I had known about him earlier, I may have considered him for my new setting! Maybe my next one... hopefully within the next 10 years or so! Haha.. Please share the photos of your new ring once it is done. I will definitely follow up on it! I am still having a hard time getting over this one...

Lady Lulu

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 1:52:35 PM

Date: 4/3/2007 10:31:53 AM
Author: Lady LuLu

I am . currently having a new e-ring made by Leon Mege''...
Holy Cow Lady LuLu! Wow... I cannot wait to see your new ring! Leon Mege is the man! If I had known about him earlier, I may have considered him for my new setting! Maybe my next one... hopefully within the next 10 years or so! Haha.. Please share the photos of your new ring once it is done. I will definitely follow up on it! I am still having a hard time getting over this one...
Yes....It is going to be something else...the grandest most special piece of jewelry I have ever endeavored to own, for sure. I am hoping to make a quick trip in to NYC to pick up my ring when it is ready. I don''t think I could stand waiting for it to ship. I will definitely post pictures when I get it!
28.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
ring 7.5, 1.5 ct pear in halo

Copy of fgpear.jpg

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
FireGoddess,
Your ring is stunning! Wow... that pear has definitely stolen my heart!
LadyLuLu,
I am really anxious to see your ring. I know the wait is never fun-in fact, the wait is killing me here too- but I also know that it will be worth it. Wow... your ring is going to blow me away. I know it!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have never been into pear shape but that pear in the halo is amazing! It looks very much like that woman from greys anatomy that got engagned. I think her name is Katherine something, the blond one who is not the main character. She killed Denny in the show. Anyway her real life ring looks just like your pear. Very pretty.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 1:12:19 PM
Author: candlelite80
avlis, love your ring!!! Do you mind sharing where you bought it? Was it online? I love the setting, I don''t have much ring experience but I just love the overall sparkly look of the diamond with the setting.

I got both the stone and the setting from GoG. the setting is a full eternity, 24 stones @6pt = 1.44cttw + 1.24ct for the center.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Heya!

As for me, I'm 5'9 and a bit, usually between 130-140lbs, and I have between 6.5 and 7 fingers (depends on which hand, hehe).
What can ya do....dang piano fingers! ;-)
This is my .55ct....more are here:More Pics
I found I didn't like anything on my hand over .75ct, but that's just me. Also, I just loved the setting with a smaller stone, so when a .55ct came up from Good Old Gold with my specific specs, I knew it was the one:)

500x375.aspx

My fingers look a little shorter here than they are really, in person they are much longer and thinner.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m about 5 feet 3 inches tall and wear a size 6 ring. My smallest diamond in a ring is a 46 point round brilliant, and it looks OK on my finger. As long as the stone is kept clean, any size stone will look fine on any size hand.

SBee

Rough_Rock
I''m 5''9 usually around 150-160lbs (I don''t look it mind you) and wear a size 6.5 on my left ring finger (I don''t know what size my right ring finger is, but it''s definitely bigger than 6.5!). I have piano hands too!! :) My fingernails also start up a little higher than most peoples'' so I have to keep them long in order for them to look "normal."

My e-ring is currently being made so I don''t have a picture of the finished product to show you...but our stone (from GOG) is .74c and I think it will look more than fine!

I DO have a picture of the setting (we had an example sent to us before we ordered ours) with a 1.00 c cubic zirconia though:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results