shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Super Nova Oval

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

garlicbread

Rough_Rock
How does a Super Nova Oval differ from a regular oval?
33.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of one, but as an oval lover I''d love to hear more. Maybe one of the resident experts will weigh-in and educate us both!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I believe supernova's ovals are cut so that there is no 'bowtie' shadowing in the oval. I don't exactly know the technical aspect of the facetting, but the look is absolutely beautiful.

Also, supernova's are cut deeper, I believe...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

xxxxtroum.jpg

garlicbread

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I decided to make my first color purchase and went with this: http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=9&idproduct=2629

Opinions?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
GB... it''s a very pretty stone. I don''t think you''ll be dissapointed with Barry''s cut.
36.gif

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Please take a lot of pictures and let us see the gemstones!

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
it''ll be fun to see what you think! and take pictures!!! lol!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Barry''s supernovas are stunning - I have one myself. I think you''ll be really happy with the spinel, GB and congrats on your first (of many more?
2.gif
) colored stone purchase!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mochi's explanation is correct. They are gorgeous, and I highly doubt you will be disappointed. It was my first gemstone purchase, and it ruined me for other cuts of gemstones...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your purchase - looks to be a really lovely stone. Here''s my Barry supernova oval. I like this pic because it really details the "chunkier" facets.

supernovaovalmalaya.JPG

garlicbread

Rough_Rock
Wow tourmaline lover, that is a beautiful stone. What color would you call it?

How do most of you go about setting these stones? Do you have a setting in mind before you purchase the stone or do you buy a stone that tickles your fancy and then see what setting it inspires? Do you use your local/favorite jeweler to design your settings?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 11:31:28 AM
Author: garlicbread

How do most of you go about setting these stones? Do you have a setting in mind before you purchase the stone or do you buy a stone that tickles your fancy and then see what setting it inspires? Do you use your local/favorite jeweler to design your settings?

Usually I just buy the stone and find a setting later. There have been three cases where I had the setting first and bought the stone to fit but usually it''s whatever strikes my fancy
1.gif
Usually I buy online - because I spend so much money on these pesky stones I''m a bit strapped for cash in the setting department (something''s gotta go
3.gif
). I have the rings set at my jewelers here. And for my supernova I have a setting in mind although it''s a bit pricier so I''ll have to wait (involves white gold, diamonds and a split shank
2.gif
)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Barry cuts lovely ovals!!! I'm sure you will be impressed, lovely choice! I own this supernova, it's kind of crooked in the box...

half moon sapphires and chrome tourmaline2.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a much better pic.

2.21ct(8.5x7.1mm) Chrome Tourmaline3.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Wow, so is that large green stone a tourmaline? Nice color. Will it be set with sapphires?
I have actually just purchased my first Barry oval. Should be getting shipped this week. I can''t wait!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:00:14 PM
Author: innerkitten
Wow, so is that large green stone a tourmaline? Nice color. Will it be set with sapphires?

I have actually just purchased my first Barry oval. Should be getting shipped this week. I can''t wait!

IK-yes my supernova is a 2.21ct Chrome Tourmaline and I am planning on having it set with the blue sapphire half moons, just need to decide who to have set it :)

Which Barry oval did you purchase??? Can''t wait to see it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love me some supernova ovals...I only have 2, but they are 7.41 and 4.45cts, so that makes up for it...

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It wasn't actually on the site yet. I emailed him asking if he had anymore pink malaya garnets and he just happened to have this one. It's a malaya garnet from madagascar. I think it's getting shipped today or tomorrow.

GA-1755g-2.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
IK-that''s gorgeous!!! It will be super sparkly :)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh, these ovals are awesome! I have to admit, one reason I never liked ovals is because of the bowtie. My pad can go dark in the middle when my big noggin is in the way. These stones are just so lovely!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:07:46 PM
It wasn''t actually on the site yet. I emailed him asking if he had anymore pink malaya garnets and he just happened to have this one. It''s a malaya garnet from madagascar. I think it''s getting shipped today or tomorrow.

Ooh that is going to be GORGEOUS!
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 11:31:28 AM
Author: garlicbread

GB,
Thank you for the compliment on the stone. The color goes from a pinkish coral in incandescent light to a more salmony color in natural light. It also has flashes of red and orange. It's a Malaya garnet from Madagascar, 2.5 carats. I have way more pictures in this thread. In this thread you can see how the cutting on the supernoval ovals allows for lots of flash, and you can also see the color change better on my stone. It has a lot of "personality" and I think the cutting has a lot to do with that.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bb-imperial-malaya-garnet.106229/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 1:07:46 PM
It wasn''t actually on the site yet. I emailed him asking if he had anymore pink malaya garnets and he just happened to have this one. It''s a malaya garnet from madagascar. I think it''s getting shipped today or tomorrow.
oooooh, very beautiful. What are the specs?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 12:38:31 PM
Author: stepcutnut
Barry cuts lovely ovals!!! I''m sure you will be impressed, lovely choice! I own this supernova, it''s kind of crooked in the box...
SCN,
What a bright apple green color. I love it!! Barry''s cuts almost give the stone a very rich and decadent appearance, don''t they? They almost look good enough to eat! Ha!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I''m pretty excited about it. TL, I''ve been admiring yours since you posted pics the other week. It''s 7.4 by 6.2 and weighs 1.73. He says it''s a bit lighter IRL, and it shifts a little under fluorescent light from pink to more of a peachy color.

ptorraca

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 11:30:04 PM
Author:garlicbread
How does a Super Nova Oval differ from a regular oval?
33.gif
I just happened to be lurking today (something I don''t usually get the chance to do) and noticed this question. Couple o'' things here:

First, to answer garlicbread''s question (great name BTW). Robert Long developed the "Supernova" series of ovals in the 1970''s. Robert Long & Norman Steele pioneered the "meetpoint faceting" technique used by most custom & competition cutters today. The Supernova oval & pear series are design variations using the meetpoint faceting technique. One of the highlights of these kind of ovals and pears is that they lack the notorious black "bow-tie" seen in other kinds of ovals. If you want to know more about Mr. Long, he has a bio on the USFG website: http://www.usfacetersguild.org/articles/tribute/bob_long.shtml

(While you''re there, you might be interested in checking out the faceting diagrams: http://www.usfacetersguild.org/index_designs.shtml -- that''s what we cutters spend a lot of time thinking about ;-)

All of that being said, Long''s Supernova ovals may or may not be what Barry is cutting -- perhaps he came up with the name independently. Whatever specific design Barry is cutting, he seems to be doing a good job with it!

One other thing to keep in mind -- there is really no such thing as a "regular oval" where cutting is concerned. There are hundreds of oval designs out there -- some quite primitive and some highly complex. Cutters usually describe designs in terms of general facet arrangements -- native cuts, step cuts, barions, and brilliants. Even then, these are just generalities as there are lots of overlap between them (e.g., any poorly cut stone ends up with the "native cut" label no matter the facet design). As far as specific naming goes (e.g., "Supernova oval") if you come up with the design, you get to pick the name!

peter

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I really need to take a day off from studying - I must''ve read I don''t know how many posts in this thread - even looking at the pictures, thinking to myself "they sure don''t look like opals" before I realized you are all talking about OVALs not OPALs.

I need more caffeine!!

garlicbread

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that detailed explanation. It seems like there is so much to learn and this forum is such a great place to find knowledgeable people willing to share information.

SCN, that is a really beautiful stone. I love the color and I think setting it with the blue sapphires is a fabulous idea. Please be sure to post pictures of the final product.

IK, Wow! I tend to lean more toward the cooler colors, but that stone has me reconsidering my preferences. What are you going to do with it?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 6:02:53 PM
Author: Jypsie
I really need to take a day off from studying - I must''ve read I don''t know how many posts in this thread - even looking at the pictures, thinking to myself ''they sure don''t look like opals'' before I realized you are all talking about OVALs not OPALs.

I need more caffeine!!

lol!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peter,
Thank you for the information. All I know is that they appear to have more facets, making the stone more brilliant and it has NO bowties.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As Peter said, there is no such thing as a "standard oval" but in the picture below, the first drawing is a pretty typical oval. Many of the ''native'' cut stone would be step cut pavilions however. The next two drawings are of the original ''Super Nova'' oval by Long and Steel.

supernova.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results