shape
carat
color
clarity

question about setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi All;
I was wondering, I have seen diamond soliatares with a band of diamonds channel set in the ring band.
I was wondering, does the big solitaire look bigger when its in that sort of mounting normally or smaller? Thanks

Phil

cmcwill

Shiny_Rock
It probably depends on how high up the band reaches compared to how high the center stone is set. I noticed that whether or not the setting had side stones, if it came up too high to the center stone it dwarfed it a little. Also, if you have rather large or many round brilliants in the setting, they can sparkle so much that they compete with the sparkle of the center stone. This is all a matter of preference though, because some would prefer more sparkle than some step-cut side stones which don't give them enough sparkle.

Hope this helps you!
Colleen

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
Side stones usually do not have an effect on the visual size of the center stone until they are of fairly large size in comparison to the center stone (i.e. three-stone rings). At that point size ratios and relative spacing have a great deal to do with the stones implied size.

However, small channel-set stones and the like are most commonly under 5 pts. each, and more often 3-4. At this size they become more of a design feature than a direct visual reference point for the center stones size.
As a design feature, they can be another variable that can be used to achieve an overall effect on the mountings presentation of the center stone but there is really no direct effect one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results