shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about ruby with abrasions

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I've become a never poster to an over poster. :shock: gah. Ruby question this time. I'm tempted by this ring for the stones alone but it says the ruby has abrasions consistent with age. One pic I can't see them, but took a pic from a video and what I think are these abrasions are all around crown; almost looks like glue. Do you think that this something that can be buffed/polished out or would that be a total recut thus losing much ctw? The color looks really pretty. Btw the pics are taken in a weird way - from my phone of my screen. A fellow pser warned me of reverse image searches lol. The stone is nestled between two chonky oecs so thinking it would be nice to remake something with it.

. IMG_9175.jpg IMG_9174.jpg

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
It has been explained to me that technically, "repolishing" to remove abrasions is a recut, because the gem cutter needs to repeat the cycle of going down to a low grit and then moving up through the finer grits ending at polishing. However the goal of the cutter is not changing the cut, it's re-executing it to remove the abrasions. Whether it can be done with minimal loss of weight depends on how deep the abrasions are, and the characteristics of the cut it already has. I had one super abraded zircon repaired at less than 4% weight loss. I had a tanzanite that had an extremely shallow crown and repairing the abrasions without a larger recut would have eaten into the girdle, so it had to lose more weight. However that was an exceptional case because of the unusual cut the tanzanite had.

I would say check the profile photo of the stone and how high the crown is. Also look to see if there are any deeper chips. If it looks like it has a good height with abrasions only, it can probably be done with a small weight loss and small cost (crown-only work.)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It has been explained to me that technically, "repolishing" to remove abrasions is a recut, because the gem cutter needs to repeat the cycle of going down to a low grit and then moving up through the finer grits ending at polishing. However the goal of the cutter is not changing the cut, it's re-executing it to remove the abrasions. Whether it can be done with minimal loss of weight depends on how deep the abrasions are, and the characteristics of the cut it already has. I had one super abraded zircon repaired at less than 4% weight loss. I had a tanzanite that had an extremely shallow crown and repairing the abrasions without a larger recut would have eaten into the girdle, so it had to lose more weight. However that was an exceptional case because of the unusual cut the tanzanite had.

I would say check the profile photo of the stone and how high the crown is. Also look to see if there are any deeper chips. If it looks like it has a good height with abrasions only, it can probably be done with a small weight loss and small cost (crown-only work.)

Thanks for this explanation! Do you have a recommendation for a cutter? I have never done anything like this before so wouldn’t know where to send.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I used Jerry Newman when I scuffed my sapphire. Great experience.

I looked at his site; do they only do colored gems or do they polish diamonds too? I sent him a message.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for this explanation! Do you have a recommendation for a cutter? I have never done anything like this before so wouldn’t know where to send.

Very reasonable pricing and good work,Cicada Jewelry is another option. Sako's Dad is the lapidary. He has an IG, The Gem Doctor. They can restore or spruce up the ring of needed as well, so one stop shopping.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results