shape
carat
color
clarity

question about ring, because i have no idea

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thigchop

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys, okay i didnt know where else to post this, or ask or even find the answer on the internet, because i dont know anything about jewelery...okay so this may sound stupid, but maybe somebody could help....so i have been with my bf for a long time, we realize it is time to get married ...he wanted to buy me a ring ( which would have been a surprise ) but his dad insisted that he should give me the ring of my boyfriend mother ( who has passed )...I love that idea and think it is so thoughful, so my boyfriend decided to ask me about it, since he figured i may hate the idea and be really upset about not getting my own ring..but honestly i love the idea of having a bring passed down...so my bf and his dad said i could have it, and then get it altered abit to more of me... i dont have a picture of the ring but i know that it is a gold band and has three diamonds on it.. one large in the middle and two small ones beside it.. soo here are my questions, just so we can see what the options are with this ring and how we can change it to "my style"....

can you change gold to white gold? i heard there was some sort of coating they put on it to make it look more white then gold???

I know you can replace the diamonds to set a bigger stone..which he will be doing..but can any size stone fit on the ring, ( like any shape, color, size etc)..

also, with the extra left over diamonds ( what could i do with those?? like for example..when a diamond is cut to that size ( as they were for the ring before) are they stuck like that..like i would have to use those diamonds the size they are and the shape..)

i know this might be silly questions, but my bf and i would just like to know the diff options that can be done with a "family" ring

thanks!!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I would not recommend having yellow gold re-plated with nickel, or any other white metal. It will tarnish/rub funny and look spotty or splotchy. If you are truly against yellow gold, then I would take the stones from it and have them re-set into another setting. You could take the meatal and have it melted down and made into a pendant, earrings, or any other jewelery piece.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yellow gold can be rhodium plated, but it is not permanent. I'd leave the gold alone. I'd either embrace the yellow gold or get a new setting entirely.

Do you have a pic? We can't see the ring, so there's no way to tell what size stones it can accommodate.

As for what to do with the extra diamonds? What size are they, what shape etc.? You could get creative and reset them. A lot of folks recycle their jewels.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Can you show us a picture of the ring or give us the size of the diamonds? There are so many things you can do
35.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
well first off, congrats, I am sure you''ll have a lot of fun with this project, and you''re in the right place!

I wouldn''t recommend plating the gold however. If you really don''t like that it is yellow gold, just use the diamonds in a setting of your choice... you could even go custom! :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results