shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about quality!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/6/2004 1:48:34 AM diamond cuter wrote:

to me the most reliable website with good selection / informations /prices, are

best gem .com

buy diamond direct .com

blue nile .com

diamond .com

please serch them befor makeing final decition

the diamond cuter
----------------

nice spam.
Would you mind telling us who you represent here since you claim to be in the industry?
Are those places your customers?
Did you read the rules? The rules are much stricter for those in the industry than consumers.

inquiring minds want to know :}

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi Abbeymax,
I am in a very similar situation as yourself right now. I too am looking for my perfect stone for my engagement ring (and I think I've found it, thankfully!) My BF really loves quality. And at the beginning of our prelimary search a year and a half ago, my BF and I understood quality to mean and high color and clarity grades. So he wanted me to get a D color IF or VVS1 in around the 1 carat range. We both had no idea how much a stone like this could cost! The first B&M he took me to was Tiffany & Co.. When I tried on some rings and looked at their pricetags, I nearly fell over. Then, and to this day now, I can not see ourselves paying that much money for a ring. At that time, we were in a bind having to decide whether we should use our savings for a house or a wedding that year. When I saw how much money B&M ring would cost, I couldn't in my good conscious allow him to spend that kind of money on a ring when we weren't even in a house yet (just my personal priorities). BTW, one of the rings I tried on at T&Co. was a 1.33 G VVS1 solitare in the thinnest band setting for $25,000.
eek.gif
Yes, this was a certed diamond, but I highly doubt it was an ideal cut. At the time, I was suprised at how small the rock looked on my size 7.5 finger. This is before I discovered PS and the tutorials here. How well cut a stone is really does make a significant overall visual impact. We also looked at maul vendors and even jewelry marts to compare and have found both to be more expensive for both lesser and comparable quality diamonds than what you find with the vendors here. My BF wanted the ring to be a surprise too, but I wanted the best value for the greatest size stone we could afford and knew we would not get a good deal without me being proactive and doing the research. It's not that he doesn't want to educate himself about diamonds, but what I like might not be what he thinks is a good diamond in terms of priority. Our guys really want us to get a ring we will love. It's us who wear the ring afterall (that's what he says). It's great that you have a clearly defined budget. This helps tremendously in narrowing your personal criteria. Like yourself, I wanted to maximize size, but not forgo too much in the color and clarity department. I searched for ideal cut stones from a number of vendors here and saw that the best ranges for me were in the G/H/possibly I, depending on quality of cut, and VS2/SI2 clarity. I lurked around here for over a year before our search became REAL and emiment. The time I spent looking around here, reading the tutorials, and reading other members' posts really helped me make a wiser, more educated decision. In the frenzy of my quest for the perfect diamond, I didn't want the importance of the ring and what it's meant to signify to overshadow what WE mean to each other. Sorry for the long post, just my humble opinion.
rodent.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Would you mind telling us who you represent here since you claim to be in the industry?
Did you read the rules? The rules are much stricter for those in the industry than consumers.

inquiring minds want to know :}----------------

It is me or has 2004 born quite a few odd balls.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/6/2004 9:46:10 AM fire&ice wrote:

inquiring minds want to know :}----------------

If it's you, F&I, we're in the same boat!
rolleyes.gif

----------------

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
----------------------------------------------

Odd balls are fine if they dont abuse the rules

Johan

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/5/2004 11:26:52 PM Patty wrote:

I did have Pavillion as 40-41 degrees but then I changed it when I saw something else.

I don't know if I'll ever have the numbers memorized!
----------------
Hi, Patty.....it was right the first time.....pavilion as 40-41 *degrees* ...the others you listed are percentages, not angles.
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/6/2004 9:46:10 AM fire&ice wrote:

----------------
Unfortunately, no....it's not just you. They are coming out the woodwork in droves!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/5/2004 10:20:07 PM abbymax825 wrote:

I think that if I understand what they are masuring, then I won't have to memorize the numbers, I will understand what they mean.
----------------

Abby, briefly, what the numbers translates to is an optics issue. What ideally is supposed to happen is that if a diamond is cut perfectly the angles will be placed in such a way that light will enter into a diamond from the top and all of it will bounce back out the top. Any light that doesn't bounce back out the top will be lost in the sides, thus minimizing the light return.

Even more simplistically, it's sort of like if you hold a mirror toward a bright light. If you angle it correctly most of it gets bounced back, blinding your little brother. If the angle is off, some of it will hit the mirrow and bounce back and some of it will bypass the mirror and not bounce back. (I know this is really simplistic and no lamp actually just emanates from one angle, but I hope you get the point anyway.)

Patty

Ideal_Rock
"Hi, Patty.....it was right the first time.....pavilion as 40-41 *degrees* ...the others you listed are percentages, not angles."

Thanks Al!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/6/2004 1:48:34 AM diamond cuter wrote:

to me the most reliable website with good selection / informations /prices, are

best gem .com

buy diamond direct .com

blue nile .com

diamond .com

please serch them befor makeing final decition

the diamond cuter

----------------
Yes please search these sites and come back to tell us if they have information that even begins to compare to some of the other sites out there. Or do they just post a GIA cert copy and expect you to be happy? I don't think so....we're not B&M customers here.
9.gif

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
On 12/23/2003 9:59:54 PM abbymax825 wrote:

One more question on a more personal note...my boyfriend is still a little skiddish about looking at rings, so i don't think that he is in any hurry, we have talked about a wedding in the summer of 05 and that you really need a year to plan, so a proposal and ring this comming summer, is what I expect. my concern is that he is not always as diligent or anal as some might call it, and he really wants it to be a surprise, but I want to be sure he gets his money's worth and that it is the right diamond for me, any ladies out there with a similar situation, or ways to get him more interested in the wide world of diamonds. I am terrified that he will buy a diamond from the mall and pay way too much and I think that I will be dissappointed by the cut and quality...any suggestions!!
----------------

Abbymax825

On your more personal note - men will be men and wait until they are "ready" to do the research. I say, you get as educated as you can, get to know the price ranges of what you should expect - and read, read, read as much as you can on this site/and others with info.

Then - you can slightly drop hints like - "the crown angle and pavillion numbers are can really make a difference in a diamond". Or ... did you see her diamond - it looks really dull - I wonder if they got "duped" in a mall store.

___________________________________________________--

Don't drop hints to your boyfriend. Only if you want to annoy him to death should you start dropping hints. When a guy is ready then will he only start thinking about diamonds. If he is not the anal type and you are afraid he will get bamboozled by a maul store, then just ask him nice before he gets a ring, to get a book on diamonds (try amazon.com) and do some homework before buying… and that’s it. I am currently looking/ educating myself but I hate hints/suggestions (on anything), because when my girlfriend suggests to do something that I was planning on doing, it really kills any surprise. At this point I know way more than the gf and I don’t want to give anything away by saying “I know honey, there’s a lot more to it that the 4C’s. There’s pavilion angles, depths, cutlet, florescence, etc.” /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Abby, maybe you can try something like (teasing around)...hey so anytime you are ready to committ yourself to life with me...make sure to not shop at the local maul for my diamond.
2.gif

I also am a HUGE researcher which my fiance knew so I would sometimes randomly send him information on X or Y and say 'Don't freak out or anything, but here is a great example of a diamond' or similar. Or I would show him a friend's stone and be like...they didn't go to the maul and get that.

You can be subtle without being in his face, or if you are truly a researcher, he must know that about you and respect it. My fiance knew I wasn't trying to make him put a ring on my finger...just that I wanted to be somewhat involved so that I could feel confident in his purchase. Therefore, he involved me from the beginning (I wouldn't have had it any other way!!).

You know your relationship dynamic best...so which works? Some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results