shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about pearl vendors

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been doing some research about upgrading my pearl earrings.
While looking at some of the trusted vendors websites, I have found some interesting similarities.
Pearl Paradise is run by Jeremy and Hisano Shepherd.
Pearl Outlet is run by Crystal and Terry Shepherd
The Pearl-Guide forum is run by Jeremy from Pearl Paradise and Kevin from Pearls of Joy.
Are all these vendors under one umbrella?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been doing some research about upgrading my pearl earrings.
While looking at some of the trusted vendors websites, I have found some interesting similarities.
Pearl Paradise is run by Jeremy and Hisano Shepherd.
Pearl Outlet is run by Crystal and Terry Shepherd
The Pearl-Guide forum is run by Jeremy from Pearl Paradise and Kevin from Pearls of Joy.
Are all these vendors under one umbrella?

AFAIK, Jeremy and Kevin are friends as well as competitors, and Terry is Jeremy's brother.

Jeremy helped to source pearls for Terry's site in the past, not sure if he still does to this day.

PG started by Jeremy and Kevin ages ago, that much is true, and some have commented that the views and posts in that board is bias towards the likes of PP and POJ. Such comments tend to come from those in the trade.

It does not come across as such to me personally, however, I am not in the trade, just a consumer who is free to purchase from vendors with products and services that I like.

Personal opinion and all that.

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
They are affiliated with each other but not all parts of the same company, no. There are also many other vendors who post on The Pearl Guide as well.

I really like them because they spend time with us, answering questions, showing interesting background info. about the industry and just chatting with us.

After hanging around on that forum for several years, while it does seem a good business move, I think they also just like to share part of their "world" and mix business with pleasure. I don't sense anything shady at all.

I'm not sure if they still do but they used to host a big, weekend long, party-pearl education-sales event every year for vendors and customers at a different rented mansion in LA each time. I never made it out there but it looked like a ton of fun and they all seem like lovely people.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AFAIK, Jeremy and Kevin are friends as well as competitors, and Terry is Jeremy's brother.

Jeremy helped to source pearls for Terry's site in the past, not sure if he still does to this day.

PG started by Jeremy and Kevin ages ago, that much is true, and some have commented that the views and posts in that board is bias towards the likes of PP and POJ. Such comments tend to come from those in the trade.

It does not come across as such to me personally, however, I am not in the trade, just a consumer who is free to purchase from vendors with products and services that I like.

Personal opinion and all that.

Thanks for your input, DK!
It sort of feels like a quagmire, trying to navigate the pricing on these sites.
If POJ, PP and PO are all competitors, then the pearl quality standards must be similar as well.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin, they still hold an annual Pearl Ruckus in LA, and I attended the one in 2016, great fun!

None this year for obvious reason.

Other vendors were there with their own merchandise, the likes of Douglas from Sea of Cortez, Sarah from Kojima Pearls, Josh with products from his own farm etc...

I plan to attend again some time in the future, probably 2022 or 2023.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are affiliated but not under one umbrella, as in, the same company, no. There are also many other vendors who post on The Pearl Guide. I really like them because they spend time with us, answering questions, showing interesting background info. about the industry and just chatting with us. After hanging around on that forum for several years, while it does seem a good business move, I think they also just like to share part of their "world" and mix business with pleasure. I don't sense anything shady. I'm not sure if they still do but they used to host a big, weekend long, party-pearl education-sales event every year for vendors and customers at a rented mansion in LA. I never made it but it looked like a lot of fun and they all seem like lovely people.

This is good to know. Then I should feel confident that I will get a good product from any of these companies?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input, DK!
It sort of feels like a quagmire, trying to navigate the pricing on these sites.
If POJ, PP and PO are all competitors, then the pearl quality standards must be similar as well.

They have different business models AFAIK.

POJ and TPO cater more for the mass market, PP for the more discerning who like a bit more variety and less common varieties. For example, PP lists loose pearls such as Abalone and conch pearls etc...

PP is my go-to vendor, as Jeremy pulled out all the stops for me to rush an order when I needed a moral boost during my darkest hours after my late partner's sudden death, for which I am very grateful to this day.

He and Hisano were great, and so were their team at PP when I visited them in person alone and not with the other ruckus attendees in 2016.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is good to know. Then I should feel confident that I will get a good product from any of these companies?

Oh yes, definitely.

I have purchased from all three of them in the past, a gem grade CFWP from each of them at least, plus more such as Tahitians and others from PP.

I have never bought from Pure Pearls, so I do not know what they are like, however, I have heard good things about them.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

Yes, and they also have very good return policies too. I've bought from Pearl Paradise, The Pearl Outlet, Pearls of Joy, Kojima Pearls and more. (They don't all have the same items at the same times so if you get really into pearls, you make the rounds lol).

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin @dk168
How do you feel about The Pearl Source or Premium Pearl?
They both sell on Amazon, and I have an Amazon gift card that I am itching to use.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
@seaurchin @dk168
They both sell on Amazon, and I have an Amazon gift card that I am itching to use.

I personally would stick with the list of recommended vendors on the Pearl Guide, unless it was an inexpensive purchase. I definitely trust them, whereas vendors not vetted by all the serious pearl enthusiasts on that site would be at best an unknown to me.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin @dk168

I have not heard of Premium Pearl before; however, I have purchased from The Pearl Source via their eBay shop for a strand of baroque light body colour Tahitian pearls at a good price. It is my go-to Tahitian strand for work, as the strand I bought from PP is a bit too big for casual/work wear.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was seriously considering AAA studs from Pearls of Joy, and was closely watching their website.
Then just a few days ago, the prices increased, probably just in time for holiday sales. :(2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin I bought from Sarah of Kojima pearls, and Douglas of Sea of Cortez during the 2016 ruckus; and had purchased from Kojima via their website in the past.

Douglas was a blast in person! I showed him my SoC mabe I bought from Agustus Collection via their eBay shop, and he recognised it right away.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was seriously considering AAA studs from Pearls of Joy, and was closely watching their website.
Then just a few days ago, the prices increased, probably just in time for holiday sales. :(2

If you have not already done so, I would strongly advise to sign up for their newsletters, as they often has sales/promotions throughout the year, especially around Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day and Mother's Day.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have not already done so, I would strongly advise to sign up for their newsletters, as they often has sales/promotions throughout the year, especially around Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day and Mother's Day.

Yes, I signed up to all the newsletters, for all the vendors we are discussing here.
In fact, my mail box is being bombarded with offers.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I signed up to all the newsletters, for all the vendors we are discussing here.
In fact, my mail box is being bombarded with offers.

It's Thanksgiving sale coming up, and Black Friday and Cyber Monday etc...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im pretty sure i got an email saying pearl paradise were having a hallowean sale

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results