shape
carat
color
clarity

Question About Palladium Setting

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks to those that have helped me thus far.

Last week, @Lovemybling recommended I take a look at a ring Jewels By Grace has for sale based on my criteria. It's lovely, my BF likes it also and we're contemplating it being my long awaited for e-ring. It's under what we budgeted overall ($3K max) and I love pre-loved! :appl:

Anyway, one thing about it has me questioning if it's right for me. The setting is made out of palladium, which I have no experience wearing. My understanding is that it's softer than platinum, and subject to getting marked up. I happen to be fairly hard on all things, including jewelry. I do have concerns about it getting too dinged up.

Does anyone here have experience wearing palladium for many years able to comment? I mentioned this in my other thread but realized it will get more notice as a stand alone question.

Here's the ring for informational purposes:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/signed-pieces/rings-bands/1-09ctw-round-brilliant-cut-diamond-3-stone-ring-by-ritani#.VsN5yfkrKUk

Also, I showed it to my two sisters who said it was "too circular" for their tastes. I thought at first they meant the center stone itself, but no they mean the setting. They think the stone(s) look really nice but didn't like the round stones on each side of the larger round one. I know everyone has their preference, but since they both said the same thing I'm wondering if I'm not seeing something they might be. Any one who would like to chime in on this too would be appreciated.

I'm still looking at new stones/settings per other suggestions but the one JBG has is pretty much my style completely. I wrote them this morning but since there's a time difference not sure when I'll hear back from them.

Laurie

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i can't comment about the durability of the palladium but that setting, :love: Even though in theory you'd think a 3 stone halo ring would be too busy, i think the flow of this ring is absolutely perfect. I'm not sure what your sisters mean about the circular look.... 3 stone rings just aren't for everyone and they may just fall in that group. I think the size and shape of the side stones complement the center stone very nicely, it frames the center without being overwhelming or taking away any attention. Any other shape of side stone with that particular setting would just take away from the beauty of the ring IMO.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I googled "palladium for jewelry" and this link came up

http://www.gemvara.com/Precious-Metal-Guide/pages/v/education/metals/palladium/

Maybe this will answer some of your questions and concerns.

As to the setting, remember it is going to be on your finger so really the only one who needs to like it is you. My sister and I have VERY different tastes in jewelry. While I might not what to wear what she has, I can respect her choices as hers and recognize the beauty in what she chooses.

GOOD luck!
:bigsmile:

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love the ring, but really my opinion doesn't matter either. If you love it and feel that it makes you happy each time you look at it, I say go for it. It seems to be a really good price, too. Also, they do have a return policy so if you didn't, then you can start over.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Working with palladium is not easy and so you have to make sure if you ever need to have the ring sized or any other work on the metal, that the person is experienced with it. That said it is a really pretty ring and if YOU love it then forget other people's opinions. Same can be said for naming a baby, there will always be someone not so crazy about your choice but you're the one who has to yell it for 18 plus years ;-)

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies. It means more to me to hear all of your opinions on the ring being as this site is filled with very experienced jewelry lovers. Yes, my sisters tastes are not mine by a long shot, for anything LOL. I also thought it was nicely proportioned. Funny thing is I wasn't seeing a halo setting, not a fan for the most part. But with this ring, I was more focused on it's 3 stone appeal.

As for the palladium, sounds like the only real issue would be if it needed to be resized down the road. Being as I'm in the NYC area I'd think finding someone who is experienced working with this metal wouldn't be too difficult.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a ring made of palladium and it's lighter than my platinum rings, at first it felt flimsy but it has held up very well for the last 5 years, I had it made, it's a full eternity band made it very small princess diamonds I had in an old setting (which I loved and should never broken up :) ) do remember it feels quite light, but I was told by the jeweler that it is strong.

beautiful ring you are thinking about!

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
Tekate|1455656550|3991721 said:
I have a ring made of palladium and it's lighter than my platinum rings, at first it felt flimsy but it has held up very well for the last 5 years, I had it made, it's a full eternity band made it very small princess diamonds I had in an old setting (which I loved and should never broken up :) ) do remember it feels quite light, but I was told by the jeweler that it is strong.

beautiful ring you are thinking about!

Good to hear. I'm not going to concern myself too much over the wear I guess.

BTW - has anyone done business with this company personally? I sent an email early yesterday morning and still haven't heard back from them. I know there's a time difference (I'm in NY, they are in CA) but I'm kind of surprised that nobody has responded yet.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far no problem after 1 yr. wearing a 500 fine Palladium ring. unlike WG it will never need replating.

img_10816.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sivyaleah|1455733591|3992155 said:
BTW - has anyone done business with this company personally? I sent an email early yesterday morning and still haven't heard back from them. I know there's a time difference (I'm in NY, they are in CA) but I'm kind of surprised that nobody has responded yet.

I have purchased from Grace a couple times, and she is lovely to work with. I'm sure she will be back in touch with you soon. Her website also has a phone # you can call if you want to try that when the times are within reason for you both. ;-)

Beautiful ring btw! I don't have experience with palladium personally in terms of long term wear, but have heard what others have said, as well as that it "wears" like platinum in terms of durability, but as noted, doesn't weigh quite as heavy. Good luck! :wavey:

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
JoCoJenn|1455793080|3992488 said:
sivyaleah|1455733591|3992155 said:

I have purchased from Grace a couple times, and she is lovely to work with. I'm sure she will be back in touch with you soon. Her website also has a phone # you can call if you want to try that when the times are within reason for you both. ;-)

Beautiful ring btw! I don't have experience with palladium personally in terms of long term wear, but have heard what others have said, as well as that it "wears" like platinum in terms of durability, but as noted, doesn't weigh quite as heavy. Good luck! :wavey:

Thanks, good to know. I emailed because it's easier. I have long days at work and finding time to make a personal call is difficult. And he is a full time student, carving out free time for him is as difficult. I'm going to take some time today to make a call. It's always possible it went to a spam folder. Happens to me plenty!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results