shape
carat
color
clarity

question about gold...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not know if this is the right forum to post this question. But since it is not, technically, about jewelry, I decided that people here might help me as well...

Bottom line is, some jewelers accept client's own gold. Not necessarily scraped 24-ct, but 14 and 18-ct as well.

During my last trip to Russia, my father gave me 6 gold fillings. He was wearing this semi-prosthesis but now all his teeth have been extracted and he is wearing dentures and does not need the fillings any longer.

They are very good and heavy, but there are remnants of the cement inside. I tried to scrape them out of the fillings, and failed. The cement has hardened.

Now surely someone has come across this problem. If I send the fillings to a jeweler (and it is a good idea, because the gold is of the same carat), they have to be free of cement. They have to be weighted, too. How does one scrape this thing out of the fillings? Are there any solutions to be used that will not harm the gold?

I thought about going to my dentist and asking him to do it, but my dentist will no doubt charge me an arm and a leg plus he runs such a business! Not a single free second, he is clearly a businessman more than a dentist. My prior, better, dentist, does not accept insurances and is incredibly costly. So I have to turn to PS because I never ran into this problem before... I thought about buying a burr with an abrasive tip but again I am afraid to destroy most of the filling because I do not know how to use it.

Any advices will be welcomed. The jeweler said that she never had an issue of porosity when melting as long as all gold was of the same K.

On a side note - in old time, they used gold or platinum crowns in Russia. I wish he used platinum. :lol:

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
crasru|1312052303|2980624 said:
I do not know if this is the right forum to post this question. But since it is not, technically, about jewelry, I decided that people here might help me as well...

Bottom line is, some jewelers accept client's own gold. Not necessarily scraped 24-ct, but 14 and 18-ct as well.

During my last trip to Russia, my father gave me 6 gold fillings. He was wearing this semi-prosthesis but now all his teeth have been extracted and he is wearing dentures and does not need the fillings any longer.

They are very good and heavy, but there are remnants of the cement inside. I tried to scrape them out of the fillings, and failed. The cement has hardened.

Now surely someone has come across this problem. If I send the fillings to a jeweler (and it is a good idea, because the gold is of the same carat), they have to be free of cement. They have to be weighted, too. How does one scrape this thing out of the fillings? Are there any solutions to be used that will not harm the gold?

I thought about going to my dentist and asking him to do it, but my dentist will no doubt charge me an arm and a leg plus he runs such a business! Not a single free second, he is clearly a businessman more than a dentist. My prior, better, dentist, does not accept insurances and is incredibly costly. So I have to turn to PS because I never ran into this problem before... I thought about buying a burr with an abrasive tip but again I am afraid to destroy most of the filling because I do not know how to use it.

Any advices will be welcomed. The jeweler said that she never had an issue of porosity when melting as long as all gold was of the same K.

On a side note - in old time, they used gold or platinum crowns in Russia. I wish he used platinum. :lol:

This is just pure speculation here, but it may be worth just making a phone call to your dentist to ask what to do. Quite possibly, it might be a kind of a do-it-yourself project if you can determine what kind of solvent is needed to dissolve the hardened cement. I would assume that any sort of chemical treatment you would do to the gold would not hurt it so long as it is neutralized when you are done. I am guessing there is probably some way to chemically remove the cement.

As far as a grinder or dremel type tool, consider this, once you go past the cement, you are grinding directly on the gold and making powder out of it. Depending on how deep you go, that could get pretty costly to make some gold dust.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru:

You can look online for gold buyers. Compare prices and flexibility among the vendors, because some are much more rigid than others regarding what they'll take and how they'll take it. I have a feeling that they must sometimes get various elements thrown in with the gold and a good smelter I believe can handle it. I've also noticed that they are typically far better in what they will pay you than if you had "traded it in" at your jewelers.

There is one that I used - if I can remember the name, I believe it was 47th Street Gold or some such, and they'll be happy to mail you the envelopes they use. The price seemed fair and I'm getting ready to do it again - hope that helps.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru - I agree with Minous. Lots of companies are now taking gold (in all sorts of states of repair and even with stones set), so presumably, they will also be able to clean/de-stone etc., before melting the gold. Your local jeweller may also do it.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1312111379|2981012 said:
Crasru:

You can look online for gold buyers. Compare prices and flexibility among the vendors, because some are much more rigid than others regarding what they'll take and how they'll take it. I have a feeling that they must sometimes get various elements thrown in with the gold and a good smelter I believe can handle it. I've also noticed that they are typically far better in what they will pay you than if you had "traded it in" at your jewelers.

There is one that I used - if I can remember the name, I believe it was 47th Street Gold or some such, and they'll be happy to mail you the envelopes they use. The price seemed fair and I'm getting ready to do it again - hope that helps.

Is this the company you used, Minou?

http://www.47stgoldbuyers.com/

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
How does one scrape this thing out of the fillings? Are there any solutions to be used that will not harm the gold?

I wouldn't bother trying to scrape it. Take it to your jeweler of choice, (preferably one with a fume hood for removing the smoke and smell), and ask if they can just melt it as is. All adhesives will be gone long before the gold can melt and trying to mess around with removing the adhesive is not worth the effort.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
My uncle works at a place that buys and sells gold and silver, coins, jewelry, etc. I would google in your area and call around and see what they offer per ounce and what they suggest regarding the cement on fillings. I would also price around for what they take as a commission. If your jeweler of choice offers a good deal then I would work with him or her.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
If you choose to do it at home, I would recommend looking at a Dremel tool with variable speed. One of the deburring bits should take the cement right off.

Like was said, it might make more sense to figure out what solvent attacks the cement and use that.

EDIT: I will assume that this isn't any kind of amalgam that could have mercury in it, in that case grinding is a bad idea.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Can you melt it out yourself with a torch?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Michael_E|1312137662|2981144 said:
How does one scrape this thing out of the fillings? Are there any solutions to be used that will not harm the gold?

I wouldn't bother trying to scrape it. Take it to your jeweler of choice, (preferably one with a fume hood for removing the smoke and smell), and ask if they can just melt it as is. All adhesives will be gone long before the gold can melt and trying to mess around with removing the adhesive is not worth the effort.

Good idea. have someone melt it for you. Shouldn't cost too much.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear fellows,
Thank you for your advices. The main reason I was asking was because I planned to send it to a jeweler for my new project - this lady melts her own gold - but wanted to weigh before mailing it out. But as I understand, it is not worth the time to remove the cement. On Wednesday I am going to bring it to my dentist and ask if he can help me pro bono, and if not, I shall mail them as they are. Maybe a couple and then ask her how much more she needs.
But the advices are interesting and I thank you very much for responding!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got my answer - and a solution!
I asked a dental hygienist for help, and she simply put the crowns in a sterilizer, and the cement melted and got out. Better still, they are so clean and shiny. It is equal to 14-ct gold, the gold content, of course, is the same in all crowns, and I hope porosity will not be an problem now! I am going to email her as I have been dragging my feet on this project.

luckky

Shiny_Rock
crasru|1312751520|2986022 said:
Just got my answer - and a solution!
I asked a dental hygienist for help, and she simply put the crowns in a sterilizer, and the cement melted and got out. Better still, they are so clean and shiny. It is equal to 14-ct gold, the gold content, of course, is the same in all crowns, and I hope porosity will not be an problem now! I am going to email her as I have been dragging my feet on this project.

Oh...that's good to know and thank you for sharing :) I went back to visit my MIL every year in Saint Petersburg. my MIL have the same teeth filling like your dad, with gold. first I didn't know and quite interesting how they used gold crown their teeth, not expect to get that gold from her LOL...but got some of amber jewelry from her and some of her old stuff.

Good luck with your project and let us know how is came out. Cheer!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results