shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about girdles on princess diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
I have heard that princess diamonds have a tendency to chip. I am assuming this is due to the girdle size... am I correct? I have been searching for more information on this but have yet to find anything specific to princess girdles, if anyone knows where I can find this information please let me know. I have been looking for diamonds that fall somewhere in the thin-slightly thick area... should I narrow my search, are these sizes bad for a princess? Also, assuming these girdle sizes are acceptable, does it matter if it is thin-slightly thick or should I avoid those and look for something that is slightly thick all around, medium all around, or thin all around? I haven''t been finding as many of these, it seems most girdles I see are medium-slightly thick or thin-slightly thick. Should I avoid anything thinner than thin (slightly thin, ext. thin) or anything thicker than slightly thick (thick, very thick)? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to learn everything I can before we make our purchase. Thanks in advance for any advice or information.
34.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess cuts are just more prone to chipping at all 4 corners due to the nature of the cut (the 4 exposed pointy ends). One way to lessen the risk is to avoid girdles that are extremely thin and very thin and setting it in V-prongs. By choosing thick, very thick and extremely thick girdles would mean the stone would be hiding its weight there and this face up smaller than it should.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, thank you so much! Your answer was perfect, I completely understand. I have been reading posts and have been getting bits and pieces but your post sums it up completely.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 2:09:57 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 4/11/2007 1:52:51 PM
Author:candlelite80

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to learn everything I can before we make our purchase. Thanks in advance for any advice or information.
34.gif
If you have time, here is a webinar that might be of interest.
LOL Sadly, I do have the time!
9.gif
I will watch this right now, thanks!

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 2:09:57 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 4/11/2007 1:52:51 PM
Author:candlelite80

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to learn everything I can before we make our purchase. Thanks in advance for any advice or information.
34.gif
If you have time, here is a webinar that might be of interest.
JohnQuixote, I just got done watching, thanks for referring me to your webinar, it was very helpful. Do you have any additional webinars (such a funny word) that deal with princess diamonds? I would love to watch!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 2:57:03 PM
Author: candlelite80

JohnQuixote, I just got done watching, thanks for referring me to your webinar, it was very helpful. Do you have any additional webinars (such a funny word) that deal with princess diamonds? I would love to watch!
There are some sessions where the new AGS light performance grade for princess cuts is discussed. There is a webinar on reflector technology that addresses the basics of analyzing light return in Ideal-Scope and ASET (the hearts & arrows viewer as well, but that's confined to rounds).

Here is the list: http://vyou.pricescope.com/player.aspx

If you will be around Friday at 6PM EST I will be hosting a roundtable. You can log into it from RockyTalky to participate with us live: Bring on the Princess questions.
1.gif

You can always search the forum for specifics or ask questions here. The community is good about offering advice and input. Paul Slegers has written a few princess-specific articles in the journal too: http://journal.pricescope.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results