Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about girdles on princess diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
I have heard that princess diamonds have a tendency to chip. I am assuming this is due to the girdle size... am I correct? I have been searching for more information on this but have yet to find anything specific to princess girdles, if anyone knows where I can find this information please let me know. I have been looking for diamonds that fall somewhere in the thin-slightly thick area... should I narrow my search, are these sizes bad for a princess? Also, assuming these girdle sizes are acceptable, does it matter if it is thin-slightly thick or should I avoid those and look for something that is slightly thick all around, medium all around, or thin all around? I haven''t been finding as many of these, it seems most girdles I see are medium-slightly thick or thin-slightly thick. Should I avoid anything thinner than thin (slightly thin, ext. thin) or anything thicker than slightly thick (thick, very thick)? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to learn everything I can before we make our purchase. Thanks in advance for any advice or information.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess cuts are just more prone to chipping at all 4 corners due to the nature of the cut (the 4 exposed pointy ends). One way to lessen the risk is to avoid girdles that are extremely thin and very thin and setting it in V-prongs. By choosing thick, very thick and extremely thick girdles would mean the stone would be hiding its weight there and this face up smaller than it should.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, thank you so much! Your answer was perfect, I completely understand. I have been reading posts and have been getting bits and pieces but your post sums it up completely.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 2:09:57 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 4/11/2007 1:52:51 PM
Author:candlelite80

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to learn everything I can before we make our purchase. Thanks in advance for any advice or information.
If you have time, here is a webinar that might be of interest.
LOL Sadly, I do have the time!
I will watch this right now, thanks!

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 2:09:57 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 4/11/2007 1:52:51 PM
Author:candlelite80

Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to learn everything I can before we make our purchase. Thanks in advance for any advice or information.
If you have time, here is a webinar that might be of interest.
JohnQuixote, I just got done watching, thanks for referring me to your webinar, it was very helpful. Do you have any additional webinars (such a funny word) that deal with princess diamonds? I would love to watch!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 2:57:03 PM
Author: candlelite80

JohnQuixote, I just got done watching, thanks for referring me to your webinar, it was very helpful. Do you have any additional webinars (such a funny word) that deal with princess diamonds? I would love to watch!
There are some sessions where the new AGS light performance grade for princess cuts is discussed. There is a webinar on reflector technology that addresses the basics of analyzing light return in Ideal-Scope and ASET (the hearts & arrows viewer as well, but that's confined to rounds).

Here is the list: http://vyou.pricescope.com/player.aspx

If you will be around Friday at 6PM EST I will be hosting a roundtable. You can log into it from RockyTalky to participate with us live: Bring on the Princess questions.

You can always search the forum for specifics or ask questions here. The community is good about offering advice and input. Paul Slegers has written a few princess-specific articles in the journal too: http://journal.pricescope.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.