shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about flouro

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
I was under the impression that blue flouro was not a good thing to look for? The girlfiend thread that is going just has me wondering. If the color grade is an H or I, the flouro is ok? When is it okay to have it and when is it not if considering the price of the diamond?
I didn''t want to hijack the other thread so I''m starting a new one
2.gif

Hand

Rough_Rock
Assuming you are talking about "colourless" diamonds, there are several schools of thought reguarding your question as summarized below:

1) Blue flourescence ofsets the yellow in lower coloured diamonds improving the effective colour (i.e. what you see) in many lighting situations

2) Flourescence is an impurity / hard to explain to unsophisticated customers

3) Flourescence is pretty / gives character to the diamond / is rare

Note: A small percentage of flourescent diamonds may appear cloudy or milky in sunlight which may have a strong negative effect on price

At the end of the day, prices for colourless diamonds D, E, F tend to be a bit lower, and prices for lower coloured diamonds tend to be a bit higher.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. I think #1 answers the question best for me. I was refering to nearly colorless diamonds down to a J or a K color. If there is flouro in a stone, it is traditionally only seen when the stone is loose, correct? If it is in a basic 4 or 6 prong setting, it would not be very easy to see?

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You would be surprised how many stones with fluorescence are difficult to spot without a blacklight. Perhaps this page can help you understand fluorescence better. There's a link to a GIA survey on fluorescence that really has some great information on the subject.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Noahsmom,
this is a widely discussed topic on PS - if you do a quick search, you will find hours of reading.

The basic summation is, very very rarely will fluor have negative effects - and to do so it will need to be likely VSB.
If its faint to medium, you will likely hardly ever notice it, and if its strong to V strong, you will still only occasionally notice it (unless of course you''re under a blacklight)
2.gif

To answer your question, I don''t think it will make much of a difference between when its loose or set - setting it will not affect the fluoro or its visibility - (disclaimer: based on assumption the fluor is pretty evenly distributed throughout stone, and not zoned to one spot).

hth a bit. Fluoro in white diamonds has become very popular around these parts - as "Hand" mentioned, it can add an extra interesting and fun dimension to your diamond.
Mine has medium, and I enjoy when I get to see the effects occasionally.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
You guys are so awesome
21.gif

The article that Winks Elf provided was a great read since I am (clearly) still learning.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s my thread on my I colour with strong blue fluor. There are quite a few photos. You can see the fluor is evident in the loose stone when on my hand outside in strong sunlight (pictures at the beginning and end of the thread also). When set, it''s also evident in certain lighting conditions. A setting shouldn''t stop the diamond fluorescing.

I''m a major fan of fluor as you can probably tell! This I colour looks very very very super white most of the time which is the effect of the fluor.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-my-fluorescent-pear-is-set.105600/

As somebody mentioned, the only time that fluor can be negative is when it produces a milky or hazy look. This is only evident in a very small proportion of diamonds with fluor but you do need to see the diamond in person to check especially if it has strong fluor.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 5:56:50 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Here''s my thread on my I colour with strong blue fluor. There are quite a few photos. You can see the fluor is evident in the loose stone when on my hand outside in strong sunlight (pictures at the beginning and end of the thread also). When set, it''s also evident in certain lighting conditions. A setting shouldn''t stop the diamond fluorescing.

I''m a major fan of fluor as you can probably tell! This I colour looks very very very super white most of the time which is the effect of the fluor.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-my-fluorescent-pear-is-set.105600/

As somebody mentioned, the only time that fluor can be negative is when it produces a milky or hazy look. This is only evident in a very small proportion of diamonds with fluor but you do need to see the diamond in person to check especially if it has strong fluor.
Ditto, negative effects from blue fluorescence are very rare but normally found in strong to very strong blue. Faint and medium are not a problem.

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
LovingDiamonds, those are beautiful pictures! If I could find a stone that gave off a blue color like that, I could find a way to live with it.
25.gif

If I were to look for a stone that had faint to medium in it, how much does the price drop (assuming that it is not a cloudy presence)?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 1:08:47 PM
Author: Noahsmom
LovingDiamonds, those are beautiful pictures! If I could find a stone that gave off a blue color like that, I could find a way to live with it.
25.gif

If I were to look for a stone that had faint to medium in it, how much does the price drop (assuming that it is not a cloudy presence)?
You won''t need to worry at all about cloudiness in a diamond with faint to medium blue fluorescence and it is also rare with strong and above.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results