shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about diamond hoops and how to make them face straight instead of out

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I just realized something today as I was looking for diamond hoops and lamenting how hoops never look right on me. I thought it was because I have a round face (that could still be part of it) but I think it's more because the orientation of my ears and piercings make the hoops stick straight out from my head, instead of facing forward. So they look like big circles on either side of my face, if that makes sense. Is there a good product, like bling dots or something, to make them orient differently and face forward instead of out? I found this thread but it seems like there is no solution other than not to wear hoops. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/crooked-hoop-earrings.198795/
I am hoping there is something else to try, since I have always liked hoops.
earring-mainImg3.jpg

image from https://goop.com/style/trends/the-goop-ear-piercing-and-small-gold-earring-guide/

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have similar issues, and am trying different combinations of length and width in oval or D shapes, as rounds do not suit me.

I am narrowing it down to skinny ovals, and am planning to rework the latest reworked pair that I have in silver and Moissy as they are still not right for me.

DK :))

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I have similar issues, and am trying different combinations of length and width in oval or D shapes, as rounds do not suit me.

I am narrowing it down to skinny ovals, and am planning to rework the latest reworked pair that I have in silver and Moissy as they are still not right for me.

DK :))
I think maybe it was one of your threads where you said you had a jeweler modify your hoops to lay differently?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @MissGotRocks . I think the angle that the holes were created causes them to stick out sideways. I have one ear
where the hoop faces forward the way it should but the other ear sticks out at an angle. I know of no way of fixing it.:(sad

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
The hoop earrings at some of the luxury brands like Cartier and Bvlgari have posts that are angled to offset this phenomena, making their hoops point towards the front and not the side. I don't have my jewelry box with me at the moment or I'd take a pic of my two pairs of hoops that have the angled posts.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
The hoop earrings at some of the luxury brands like Cartier and Bvlgari have posts that are angled to offset this phenomena, making their hoops point towards the front and not the side. I don't have my jewelry box with me at the moment or I'd take a pic of my two pairs of hoops that have the angled posts.

Thanks, I’m interested in this because I think I could have my jeweler put a new post on a hoop to mimic this.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. sometimes it is the direction of the piercing and if it didn't go through the lobe straight back but at a slight angle, this can happen. I think the only solution, other than perhaps what @RunningwithScissors suggests (I'm not familiar with those) is to get a new piercing that goes straight back, or forego hoops. I have one piercing that angles down a bit instead of going straight back and I can't wear three prong martini settings because that one earring points up a bit. So I don't use 3 prong martinis.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I’m interested in this because I think I could have my jeweler put a new post on a hoop to mimic this.

When I can, I will take a pic for you. It may be a couple days, but I'm happy to do it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't the earrings just follow direction of the hole in your ear?
If so, I'd stop wearing earrings for as long as it takes for the holes to close & heal.

Then I'd find a skilled pro who can pierce the holes at the angle that forces your earrings to be in the direction you want.

If it takes a long time for the pro to understand what you want, I'd move on and question other pros.

Last edited:

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Don't the earrings just follow direction of the hole in your ear?
If so, I'd stop wearing earrings for as long as it takes for the holes to close & heal.

Then I'd find a skilled pro who can pierce the holes at the angle that forces your earrings to be in the direction you want.

If it takes a long time for the pro to understand what you want, I'd move on and question other pros.

Yes, it’s some combination of the piercing angle and ear anatomy. I should try to see if the problem is equally as bad on both sides or worse on one. I imagine the holes aren’t at exactly the same angle. I do know a good piercer I could ask… unfortunately, we didn’t know anything about this when my mom took me to Claire’s many years ago!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Hoops also sit outwards on me. I feel it is the angle of my ears since both are the same. I've bent posts on j-hoops in the past. Then, I had diamond j-hoop made with an angle post. I also had a quote on gold hoop earrings, but cost was more than I wanted to spend. 849520 IMG_4666.JPG IMG_4665.JPG Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 7.03.55 AM.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think maybe it was one of your threads where you said you had a jeweler modify your hoops to lay differently?

I bought a pair of small round hoops with 3mm Moissys from Golden Bird on Etsy and did not like the way their poke out on me.

So I had them reworked by the bench I use in China, adding more Moissys to make a longer and narrower oval shaped inside out hoops. Again, I did not like the way they poke out on me.

So I had them reworked again into the current pair that I have, shorter and narrower, based on the shape of an existing pair of ready-made huggy earrings I bought from them. And I still not 100% satisfied with them. Somehow, they do sit right for me; yet the ready-made huggies do, hey ho!

I shall have them reworked again, cut down on the number of Moissys from 6 to 5, and make them into narrower ovals.

I am determined to find a more substantial pair of huggies for me!

DK :lol-2:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agreed that it is the position of the ear vs. piercing angle. My ears are very flat to my head a don’t stick out at all, so hoops flare out on me more than someone with ears that stick further out. Back in the eighties when I had my ears pierced at a random place in a mall, the position of the ear wasn’t considered. These days I think most places take that into consideration. As mentioned above, posts are probably the easiest solution if it bothers you.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
@mayaINaU did these work out for you?

They were both pretty good! I would’ve kept the shorter ones, because the stones were a nice size and they really hug the ear and did not stick out at all, but I spent too much on my bracelet, so I had to return them for now. I was feeling guilty about all the spending. IMG_6374.png

Attachments

• IMG_6373.png
    IMG_6373.png
    1 MB · Views: 30

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I think sometimes it is the angle in which the piercing was done that throws them off. You will see some people with one earring that looks straight and the other one looks crooked.

I agree. I think that’s a huge factor, actually. The natural angle of the earlobe needs to be considered when choosing the angle of the piercing needle.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can have the angle of the post adjusted to make them face straight on for your particular piercing/ear anatomy combo if they’re studs, drops or partial hoops, but full hoops probably not as they would need to go full circle and I don’t see how that would work if the post is angled.

Calling @yssie as the master of how to calculate the angle you need!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
You can have the angle of the post adjusted to make them face straight on for your particular piercing/ear anatomy combo if they’re studs, drops or partial hoops, but full hoops probably not as they would need to go full circle and I don’t see how that would work if the post is angled.

Calling @yssie as the master of how to calculate the angle you need!

Yes, how to know the exact angle is basically my question, since I'd want to get them made for me if I did this. Also, how to test that the angle is right? I can't find any costume jewelry hoops with angled posts. I was thinking maybe just buy costume ones and bend the posts myself as an experiment? Any vendor I would want to work with would not be in-person (I would be thinking IDJ for this, since I am very happy with my bracelet from them). I would want to make sure the earrings would actually be flattering first. I did like those huggies from Costco, but what I REALLY want still is an actual round hoop. Maybe I will discover that I just cannot wear them. But I figured it would be fun to try, since that is the look I like--like the Tiffany Metro hoops.
tiffany-metrohoop-earrings-22415891_1039647_ED.jpg

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking maybe just buy costume ones and bend the posts myself as an experiment?

Claire's has many round hoop earrings with posts that you can bend to see if they will look nice on you.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, experiment with Target hoops found that if I bend the posts about 45 degrees, they sit straight. At least that is one problem solved! IMG_6498.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6497.jpeg
    IMG_6497.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6500.jpeg
    IMG_6500.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 28

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
As I said in my earlier post, some of the higher-end brands like Cartier and Bvlgari have their hoops angled so that they sit straight (or at least straighter) on the ear.

Here is one of my Bvlgari hoops. Its a full hoop earring. (@lissyflo ) When the earring is a full hoop, the post should remain straight, but the metal earring that touches your earlobe on both the front and back side should be at an angle:

Bvlgari RG Hoops 1.jpg

If the earring is a partial hoop (but not a full hoop) you angle both the post and the metal part that touches the front of your earlobe. You may be able to get away with just bending the post, I think the best results are achieved with angling that metal part in addition to the post. It sits flushly against your ear that way with no gap. Here's my Cartier hoop that has this:

Cartier WG Hoops.jpg

Hope this is helpful!

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Super helpful to see how this should work in both hoop styles! I agree about angling the metal part as well…I’d get them custom-made if I decided to do hoops.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results