shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about claw prongs (double and single)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ms.Lola

Rough_Rock
I have been reading a few threads in which people are talking about switching the prongs on their rings. I just have a few questions about that:

1) Can a jeweler just change the prongs, without changing anything else on the setting? I love my e-ring setting but I must admit, when I see claw prongs on other peoples'' posts, I get quite envious and wish I had them on my own!

2) Do claw prongs even "work" on round cut diamonds? I feel like I see them more often on cushions, emeralds, and radiants. If anyone has a picture of their RB stones in a setting with claw prongs - double or single claw - i''d really appreciate setting pictures!

Thanks!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 5:15:20 PM
Author:Ms.Lola
I have been reading a few threads in which people are talking about switching the prongs on their rings. I just have a few questions about that:

1) Can a jeweler just change the prongs, without changing anything else on the setting? I love my e-ring setting but I must admit, when I see claw prongs on other peoples'' posts, I get quite envious and wish I had them on my own!

2) Do claw prongs even ''work'' on round cut diamonds? I feel like I see them more often on cushions, emeralds, and radiants. If anyone has a picture of their RB stones in a setting with claw prongs - double or single claw - i''d really appreciate setting pictures!

Thanks!
I don''t know about changing the prongs on your existing setting.

But if you check out Leon Mege''s site www.artofplatinum.com
you will see many round stones with his claw prongs.
His prongs are one of these reasons I had him build my ring.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand you liking/wanting claw prongs, but I would sincerely caution asking just any old jeweler to do it, if it can even be done. Jewelers who do claw prongs, and do them well, are in short supply. If one said they could do it, I would want to see their work.

I''m thinking if it could be done at all, they would be very short, not long skinny claws, as there just won''t be enough metal to work with. But that''s just my guess.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Ellen, and when Single Stone re-made my prongs on my oval ring, they had to add plat, because there was not quite enough metal to get the look I wanted. I highly recommend going to a jeweler who is well versed in claw prongs.

I think they look great with round stones! I have single claws on my oval, and it''s such a neat look--you see a lot of the stone.
1.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif

Date: 3/8/2009 6:10:55 PM
Author: Ellen
I understand you liking/wanting claw prongs, but I would sincerely caution asking just any old jeweler to do it, if it can even be done. Jewelers who do claw prongs, and do them well, are in short supply. If one said they could do it, I would want to see their work.

I''m thinking if it could be done at all, they would be very short, not long skinny claws, as there just won''t be enough metal to work with. But that''s just my guess.

Well said Ellen!!I can only add to this. While the claw prongs on my sapphire diamond ring are pretty decent, They are by no means perfect as I kept telling the jeweler that I wanted them to match up perfectly in shape, size, etc.................. I don''t think it is worth sending my ring back to have them redone, however, it has made me believe exactly what Ellen has said. Even though the jeweler says they can do it and that they will be perfect....check their work out first. Leon really does corner the market when it comes to making those beautiful claw prongs.
30.gif
!!!

Cookiesmom

Rough_Rock
Lola,

When I was having my ring made one of my requirements were clawed prongs. I saw them and fell in love with how delicate they were and just knew that I had to have them. I have a big diamond and wanted it to be secure. I spent a lot of time looking for the ''right'' person to do them for me and it was Maytal Hannah. I know I don''t have good pictures on my post right now (and am hoping to get some soon) but as I look at them on my ring writing this I don''t know how they could have been done any better. I would talk to her and see how she can help. I found her to be very open and honest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results