shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about August Vintage

m1918

Shiny_Rock
Just wondering if anyone else saw the man-made diamonds recently listed on Jonathan’s site. The few that are posted seem to look grainy but not sure if it’s just the pictures? I hope not!

I have only seen one thread of someone who had bought one of his man-made diamonds but would love to know if anyone else has!

Attachments

• 37972B58-AA7D-4B4A-A981-73DF6E9D5401.png
    37972B58-AA7D-4B4A-A981-73DF6E9D5401.png
    355.5 KB · Views: 238

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering if anyone else saw the man-made diamonds recently listed on Jonathan’s site. The few that are posted seem to look grainy but not sure if it’s just the pictures? I hope not!

I have only seen one thread of someone who had bought one of his man-made diamonds but would love to know if anyone else has!

I haven’t but I would just message Jonathan on IG and ask him. He’s very pleasant and helpful.

Gemma10

Rough_Rock
High pressure sales... felt uncomfortable was able to find a better diamond at less cost with DNEA... our experience was just too ‘salesy’ made us uncomfortable and lost confidence in the diamond

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 'graininess' is the stria/striations that are present in some CVD stones. Jonathon vets all his stones so that any worries about light performance are not an issue, as I understand it.

m1918

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t but I would just message Jonathan on IG and ask him. He’s very pleasant and helpful.

Fair enough but I always feel weird messaging vendors when I know a purchase is a long way out.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
@Bluery has a lab diamond from AV, maybe she can chime in with her thoughts/experience?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair enough but I always feel weird messaging vendors when I know a purchase is a long way out.

I don't think you should feel weird. That's what (good) business people do. They establish a relationship with you and answer questions all towards the hope of a future purchase. Good will goes a long way.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs You have a pink mmd, don't you (sorry if I mix things up)? Have you experienced anything when it comes to this "grainy" appearance?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I always feel exactly the same - I hate going into shops to ask questions about things when I have no money!

I felt bad the other day because a shop brought a jacket in from the central warehouse for me to look at, because I'd seen a waistcoat in what looked like a similar colour on the racks, but the one that arrived was lighter and didn't go as well with what I was planning to wear it with as the darker colour would have, so I decided to leave it.

I could sense the sales assistant's annoyance :| but I've been 'guilted' into buying things before and I end up never wearing them.

m1918

Shiny_Rock
Nope, not at all. I just took new pics of it the other day for fun. I see zero graininess.
20200224_112344.jpg 20200224_112341.jpg 20200224_112409.jpg 20200224_112355.jpg 20200224_112420.jpg

So pretty! Thank you for sharing. I was just surprised to see the graininess of the diamonds posted and even if I couldn’t see it IRL, I think it would be a mind-clean thing.

m1918

Shiny_Rock
I always feel exactly the same - I hate going into shops to ask questions about things when I have no money!

I felt bad the other day because a shop brought a jacket in from the central warehouse for me to look at, because I'd seen a waistcoat in what looked like a similar colour on the racks, but the one that arrived was lighter and didn't go as well with what I was planning to wear it with as the darker colour would have, so I decided to leave it.

I could sense the sales assistant's annoyance :| but I've been 'guilted' into buying things before and I end up never wearing them.

It’s a bad feeling! There’s nothing worse than being guilted into buying something.

m1918

Shiny_Rock
I don't think you should feel weird. That's what (good) business people do. They establish a relationship with you and answer questions all towards the hope of a future purchase. Good will goes a long way.

This is true! Maybe I’ll shoot him a message because I’m also wondering about the polish and symmetry only being very good.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
High pressure sales... felt uncomfortable was able to find a better diamond at less cost with DNEA... our experience was just too ‘salesy’ made us uncomfortable and lost confidence in the diamond

What does DNEA stand for?

AEM27

Rough_Rock
What does DNEA stand for?

I noticed DNEA changed their upgrade policy, looks like that don't have one anymore. Wonder why. I'm a little confused on what vendor to go with as well. Sounds like mIxed reviews here.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would reach out to Jonathan to ask about that. I have met him and he really is so passionate about his work with quality cuts, that I could see how some might mistake his enthusiasm as being assertive sales wise.
I would opt for the best cut as that’s all I will see every day. :)
I love my August Vintages.
I’d love to hear his answer as I do see the graininess you asked about.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock

Please share your new diamond! I would love to see it as I’m looking in exactly your range!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
The August Vintage Cuts are beautiful. But I must say that the last few mmd AV cuts were cut out of very grainy material. I said that on another thread and I was told you can’t see the graininess in real life. IMO you can see it if you look up close to your diamond and it would be a big no for me as there is nicer mmd material out there.
Nonetheless he also carries mmd from other suppliers which are very beautiful. I just wish the AV cuts were made out of higher quality mmd rough.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
The August Vintage Cuts are beautiful. But I must say that the last few mmd AV cuts were cut out of very grainy material. I said that on another thread and I was told you can’t see the graininess in real life. IMO you can see it if you look up close to your diamond and it would be a big no for me as there is nicer mmd material out there.
Nonetheless he also carries mmd from other suppliers which are very beautiful. I just wish the AV cuts were made out of higher quality mmd rough.

Have you seen one IRL? Was it noticeable?

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen one IRL? Was it noticeable?

No I haven’t! But if you can see the grain on the video you will be able to see it by looking really closely.

and there is no reason to have such graininess. It’s just nothigh quality mmd material.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
No I haven’t! But if you can see the grain on the video you will be able to see it by looking really closely.

and there is no reason to have such graininess. It’s just nothigh quality mmd material.

Thank you!

The thing is that I bought a AVR lab diamond (its getting set now, have not seen it irl) and it has some graininess in the video, not much, but its present.
I asked Jonathan about it and he told me that my diamond is fine. That feels good to hear, and the cut is stunning, but I can't seem to shake my "stria concerns" off....I'm just so scared that it will be anticlimactic when it gets here (I'm in Europe) and this is my engagement ring that I don't plan to upgrade, so I do feel a bit stressed to be honest (my fiance aswell, he just wants me to be happy).

Jonathan has been awesome, super friendly and approachable, and I went with him because of how many members here who were happy with his stones.

Maybe I'll just write him again, stating my concerns, but I don't really know what to do.

Thanks for reading.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!

The thing is that I bought a AVR lab diamond (its getting set now, have not seen it irl) and it has some graininess in the video, not much, but its present.
I asked Jonathan about it and he told me that my diamond is fine. That feels good to hear, and the cut is stunning, but I can't seem to shake my "stria concerns" off....I'm just so scared that it will be anticlimactic when it gets here (I'm in Europe) and this is my engagement ring that I don't plan to upgrade, so I do feel a bit stressed to be honest (my fiance aswell, he just wants me to be happy).

Jonathan has been awesome, super friendly and approachable, and I went with him because of how many members here who were happy with his stones.

Maybe I'll just write him again, stating my concerns, but I don't really know what to do.

Thanks for reading.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I’m not an expert. As a hobby I do browse lab diamonds a lot. Most CVD grown diamonds have stria (graininess). HPHT Diamonds in comparison often have a blue (to most people undesireable tint).

So with lab diamonds it’s not easy to get it perfect. Can you show us the video? And was it custom cut for you? You must have noticed the graininess before hand?

where in Europe are you based? Im living in Germany atm :)

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Take what I say with a grain of salt. I’m not an expert. As a hobby I do browse lab diamonds a lot. Most CVD grown diamonds have stria (graininess). HPHT Diamonds in comparison often have a blue (to most people undesireable tint).

So with lab diamonds it’s not easy to get it perfect. Can you show us the video? And was it custom cut for you? You must have noticed the graininess before hand?

where in Europe are you based? Im living in Germany atm :)

Thanks!

It is a custom cut yes(it came with the resent batch), I saw the graininess, asked and got the answer that the diamond is fine. The diamond is still in the US so I haven't seen it, only videos. If there are cvd diamonds without stria, I would feel so much better getting one of those but it's probably too late at this point.

I have a screenshot were I think it is noticeable and a still from a video of the stone outside (were I can't see it, not in motion, any graininess here is probably caused by the fact that it is a screenshot).

20200301_091440.jpg

20200301_091611.jpg

I'm in Sweden :).

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
If it’s a custom cut I think there’s nothing you can do. And to be quit honest the stria isn’t bad in your diamond! And mined diamonds also have slight graininess. And the color looks really nice as well. What color is it? And what carat size? I think it’s a beautiful diamond. Also the cut (which isn’t always consistent) looks very well executed!
I would put all stria/ graininess thoughts into the bin and start being excited about your beautiful AVR - and when you receive it make a thread with pictures for it

And as what I’ve seen in my 1 year of browsing lab diamonds ALL CVD diamonds have a bit of stria so don’t feel bad about yours! It’s beautiful!

muesli

Shiny_Rock
If it’s a custom cut I think there’s nothing you can do. And to be quit honest the stria isn’t bad in your diamond! And mined diamonds also have slight graininess. And the color looks really nice as well. What color is it? And what carat size? I think it’s a beautiful diamond. Also the cut (which isn’t always consistent) looks very well executed!
I would put all stria/ graininess thoughts into the bin and start being excited about your beautiful AVR - and when you receive it make a thread with pictures for it

And as what I’ve seen in my 1 year of browsing lab diamonds ALL CVD diamonds have a bit of stria so don’t feel bad about yours! It’s beautiful!

My gosh thank you! I feel a lot better now, I agree I have seen other ones with more graininess than this one.

It's a G VS1 1.39 ct :).

Here is the ASET:

20200301_114037.jpg
20200301_114052.jpg

Will make a thread about it when it has arrived :).

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Looks perfekt! And the graininess is really not an issue with your diamond!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results