shape
carat
color
clarity

Quest For Fancy Yellow Marquise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lawpocket

Rough_Rock
Hello there,
I was introduced to this forum through a great fellow who saved me from the African Diamond Frauds.

He told me I''d find nice folk here who could probably help me find a Fancy Intense Yellow diamond, marquise cut stone. I am looking anywhere between 1.5 and 3 carats and am flexible on the clarity (obviously I''d like VVS2 or better...).

Any advice?

THANK YOU!
PS: Already looked at icestore.com....they have nothing!

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Try www.diamondsbylauren.com
He (David) deals with colored diamonds. Mostly Radiants, Ovals, Princess...ect.. He may have marquise. Really nice person to talk to also.
21.gif

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
hmm... Diamonds by Lauren doesn't have anything either, in their web store or ebay. The only other place I know to look is at the lab-grown diamonds. Takara doesn't carry marquise, but Gemesis cuts them. I don't see any at the places which I know sell them online right now, but I know they'll happily cut you whatever you want. I found a price list for fancy shapes here: http://www.rottermond.com/02-gemesisCD/priceVSF.html

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/21/2004 2:16:26 PM chialea wrote:

The only other place I know to look is at the lab-grown diamonds.

----------------

No... it is just not very usual to see colored arq's since the shape does not help at all deepen color. Of course, if the material was saturated enough, there is no reason that a yellow marquise will not show yellow enough... it is just that a radiant of the same material will show more. I guess they are cut just when the shape of the rough gives precisely no other alternative. This, as far as I know, of course and there is always proof of the contrary - like THIS little fancy marquise
2.gif

I bet you willl be given a choice of yellow marquise cyt diamodns if you ask for this specifically. It is not usual to see such stones listed, but a few appear here and there. Such as down these links at DCD and two at Icestore (WWW1 and WWW2)

Most likely any of these stores would come with a better alternative upon inquiry.

As for fakes... well, there are also irradiated diamodns that look quite yellow, if you are happy to pay that for some industrial product ! Look at this one (LINK).

Hope this helps
1.gif

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Is irradiation permanent and go through the whole diamond? Those are the things I'd be concerned about. Otherwise, why not?
1.gif

Cut diamonds and jewelery are already very much the product of an industrial process (with the possible exception of 8*, which might be considered an artisanal process, perhaps). I just don't really see the distinction.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I would try calling David. He doesn't always list everything he has. I believe he also has a store (retail).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/21/2004 3:57:19 PM chialea wrote:

Cut diamonds and jewelery are already very much the product of an industrial process (with the possible exception of 8*, which might be considered an artisanal process, perhaps).

----------------

read.gif
Isn't the 8* just the more technically strict way to cut a diamond? they take pride in things like processing time and for how long they train workers... same as the phone company! It is 'artisanal" that they do not disclose the details of their technique and charge for the deliberately secret wisedom... What makes their model of diamond cutting "art" ?

Irradiation ( = whatever steps the technique involves) is permanent and the effect is not just skin deep. Sure there is something "artizanal" about created and harshly altered gems (zapped diamodns included): the premium you pay for a bit of ... well, you might immagine what the untreated material formerly looked like.

Now the catch: not that there is anythihg wrong with finding gems that come from technology and manufacturing rather than the ground. But when all that technology does is to fake nature and cash in on the fame established by natural goods... well, that's not great. Lab and treated gems are just meant to immitate naturals and fool people. It would be nice to have some completely out of this world gems (really, not found in nature) made in the lab and buy technology as jewels - but for some reason this idea didn't really catch much, as far as I know.

... oh, well. Don't take this wrong. The whole debate about gem treatments happens to be interesting to me. I understand there should be legitimate reasons to go for a lab grown diamond - but no one seems very eager to explain them. The prices do not seem all that attractive, so what else?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/21/2004 3:57:19 PM chialea wrote:

... I just don't really see the distinction.----------------

Actually, sometimes neither do I. Just look below... After trying on a ring like that (which looks good on hand anyway) should I start wearing small, shiny car parts for fun
eek.gif

CP.JPG

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2004 1:49:50 PM lawpocket wrote:

help me find a Fancy Intense Yellow diamond, marquise cut stone. I am looking anywhere between 1.5 and 3 carats and am flexible on the clarity (obviously I'd like VVS2 or better...).

Any advice?
----------------

How does this one look: http://www.amgad.com/prod.asp?id=572#

I have no idea what this runs. Report says 'deep' which should mean not unreasonable, but description says vivid which implies it may be expensive for the grade. Maybe worth a call.

Report says 1.5 ct but description says 1.4, not sure why there's a difference. Report is color only, so I'm not sure about clarity.

D232_FDY_1-40_MQ.jpg

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2004 9:24:06 PM valeria101 wrote:

... oh, well. Don't take this wrong. The whole debate about gem treatments happens to be interesting to me. I understand there should be legitimate reasons to go for a lab grown diamond - but no one seems very eager to explain them. The prices do not seem all that attractive, so what else?

----------------

I believe the prices compared to those of fancy yellows are quite reasonable, from what people have tossed around here. The prices for lab-grown fancy blue and pink seem like rock-bottom basement pricing compared to the ones that come out of the ground. I'd love something in fancy blue, myself...
1.gif

That's not the reason why I'm interested in them, though. Like I said, they're a pretty use of technology. More than that, I get to avoid putting money in DeBeers' coffers (the indirect pricing argument is an interesting one, but I don't think it's relevant at the marketshare that lab-grown has); they annoy me. I also get to avoid contributing to mining which can be avoided, as carbon is quite abundant. I'm not advocating eliminating mining, just doing it responsibily, reducing the amount, and using the products wisely.

Does that answer your question? Seriously, quite a bit of it is because my SO and I are geeks, and this is really quite cool stuff.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... pinks and blues are way less expensive out of the lab, I know... And this does hold for those vivid yellows too: it seems that their prices are comparable to natural fancy-yellow-fullstop at most. So one can still find nice natural yellows with comparanble price tags but pinks and blues is another story altogether.

Actually, the "comparative pricing" and "immitation" quality of these is all that seem unapealing to me. Neither would work (in theory at least) unless the look-alike product remains at a relatively small market share (so that the refference price is still set by the naturals and the two products remain strongly substitutes).
read.gif

Your answer definitely answered my Q
1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the references!

Generally, I find Radiant and Cushion to be the most popular shapes for Fancy Yellows-today ovals are far more popular than marquises- and many stones that are cut to ovals today would be cut to marquise if the popularity was there.
The net result of this is that Fancy Yellow, or Fancy Intense Yellow marquises are few and far between.

Regarding he desire for a VVS2- the clarity is far less important on Fancy colored diamonds.
Not to say that anybody wants a stone with a big spot you can see- rather, a Fancy Yellow SI2 which has stronger color than a Facy Yellow VVS1 - the deeper color stone more desirable.

I'll check the files tomorrow and see if I can find a Marquise to show you guys.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2004 11:26:51 PM valeria101 wrote:

Actually, the 'comparative pricing' and 'immitation' quality of these is all that seem unapealing to me. Neither would work (in theory at least) unless the look-alike product remains at a relatively small market share (so that the refference price is still set by the naturals and the two products remain strongly substitutes).
read.gif

Your answer definitely answered my Q
1.gif

----------------

Well, I'm going to have a small extra stab at it, to be really clear. For me, the pricing isn't the interesting part, except for in so far as I don't consider spending too much money "reasonable". It's the other factors that make these more attractive than the kind of diamonds that come out of the ground. To me, they are worth more. It's just lucky for me that there's quite a contingent who think they are worth less, which (if I ever buy any) keeps the price down. My SO feels the same way -- he was quite dissapointed that he didn't know there were synthetic sapphires before he bought my engagement ring, since he'd have been happier with one.

Frankly, I think it'd be great if the lab-grown ones got a lot of business, so they can put the kind of research into diamonds for semiconductors that they really want to, and so their costs come down.

Cave Keeper

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2004 1:49:50 PM lawpocket wrote:

help me find a Fancy Intense Yellow diamond, marquise cut stone. I am looking anywhere between 1.5 and 3 carats and am flexible on the clarity (obviously I'd like VVS2 or better...).
:
----------------

On 7/21/2004 9:50:32 PM elmo wrote:
----------------
How does this one look: http://www.amgad.com/prod.asp?id=572#
:
----------------

I love the marquise cut, especially on the fingers of a real lady with slim fingers.

That yellow diamond looks so lovely, better buy it before someone else does!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results