shape
carat
color
clarity

Query from an "artisanal" Miner who's a neophyte to the Online/By mail CS marketplace...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ah all is clear a troll has come out from under the bridge.
From the first post it was either a scam or a troll.
Well played sir trollalot.

BlackRockWarlock

Rough_Rock
I would have bet my life you were international... I've never heard anyone from Boston speak like you! And I don't mean that as an insult to you (more of an insult to us). We just tend to be a little less formal in our vernacular. lol Anyway, from what I can tell, the majority of the stones in the pic you shared are quartz. Hey, I love quartz, so no judgment here. I'm just not hopeful that they will be facet grade and salable, you know? These stones are probably more useful as decorative objects, rather than for cutting and selling. I have a whole bunch of sea glass from Vladivostok that I display in my guest bath (and love). But you have some pretty rose material there!

BlackRockWarlock

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your comments - not at all unexpected or without precedent.

I'll humor you with another set of pictures, since we're convinced A. that I'm a troll, or B. that this would be the proper place to display (the most diverse) quartz assortment I can recall seeing to persons to whom I remained vague to inspire hubris, and embolden thoughts which CLEARLY defy the very rudimentary conditions of what certain gems are or arent.

Tunduru Garnet or Alluvial spinel (even down to the "resorbed" looking forms) would have been much less embarrassing guesses.

Since you are all so willing to provide thoroughly researched answers, maybe you guys can point me in the direction of a source to classify all of these types of quartz, pulled from a relatively quartz free zone due to the way the deposition of heavier minerals works...

"When sourcing top shelf material, make sure to stick to your own walkways and garden!" :P2

"Geuda was frequently stored in large drums or used USED TO GRAVEL HOME GARDENS prior to the 1970s discovery that heat treatment can drastically alter the stone's color.[1]' :geek:

But on a serious note if someone could tell me what kind of quartz has parallel lines running along at a certain degrees along the interior crystal planes (lamellae, idk?) and bipyramidal crystal habit and fracture as seen in one or two pictures below then that would also be much appreciated! I've several contacts at the GIA but SADLY they had no rough stone handling in their illustrious halls.

I had to use the ultra-high tech specific gravity, scratch mark and loupe avenues...and after paying $1k for useless information from a local "appraiser/assayer", purchased a Presidium tester which arrived 2 days ago - It only accurately identifies diamond, emerald, ruby, CITRINE (oooh quartz) Amethyst and Plain Quartz, Jade and glass correctly. I think the Spinel, Topaz and Sapphire thermal portions must just have been indicated at random, albeit perfectly with the 18 stones tested - silly pebbles.

Oh, and the blue quartz there and the pink-orange, hot pink gemmy and red pseudo-crystalline garden rocks need denotation..

(There's some sarcastic m******* in there for YA KEHD. I went to school at Lesley in Cambridge and hate the Giants for 16-1-also, ****ing construction on 90 my god...and the Boston Brahmin, those pioneers of ****ery were known for their QUITE peculiar verbiage centuries ago...and people from Essex don't sound like people from Revere - big diverse state here, lotta words to use in various orders, ask your "cousin from Boston".

(Also, corundum family minerals were found from Alabama to Nova Scotia more than 120 years ago - but don't take my word for it!)

And coincidentally...my daughter has, by definition, joined the ranks of artisanal worthless rock miner by association - yet another astute quip which is far more damning than the innumerable examples of the contrary to your attempt at derision.

Thank you all for your participation.

".85% of my stones were retrieved from within +/- 10 yards because I did it..."

When sourcing top shelf material, make sure to stick to your own walkways and garden! :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2:

Attachments

• DSC_1263.JPG
    DSC_1263.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_1210.JPG
    DSC_1210.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_1249.JPG
    DSC_1249.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_1127.JPG
    DSC_1127.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1207.JPG
    DSC_1207.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_1211.JPG
    DSC_1211.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_1240.JPG
    DSC_1240.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_1257.JPG
    DSC_1257.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 26

BlackRockWarlock

Rough_Rock
That's what I thought too - bags of them available from the gardening section of my local DIY shops!

DK :confused:

Welp, all those thread posts and didn't read up on the secondary alluvial deposit section of the course.

BlackRockWarlock

Rough_Rock

I've met lapidaries who couldn't tell spinel from quartz either, and missed an opportunity to supply more similar gems which much more readily fit even that subpar pictures level of detail.

BlackRockWarlock

Rough_Rock

Scammers usually request something of value - bad guesses are not valid tender either.

BlackRockWarlock

Rough_Rock
The forced pseudo educated language used by OP makes this already pointless thread so cringy I feel dirty for reading it :|

Psuedo-educated...goodness. Well, I might be a bit long in the tongue but your petulance without substance speaks volumes. I wish you no Ill will.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My father's brother married into a family that owned Sapphire mines in Australia for a number of years, they are old now and sold them years ago. What you are showing us is a handful of below average stones that can be cut and polished the rest are mostly poop, not even worth the time or expense of cutting them. That's probably why the people on the forum are accusing you of being either highly uneducated about stones or a troll....

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You'd be better off filming your digs and putting them on youtube than selling that stuff or paying to get it evaluated.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of those look like what we call "beach agates" around here (i.e., some variety of cryptocrystalline quartz). But I am not sure I want to get notifications about this thread now.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@BlackRockWarlock, perhaps your GIA contacts could send you some referrals. Or, alternatively, you could simply have some stones crudely faceted and submit them to the lab.

Maybe have someone else fill out the intake paperwork though. Brevity is a requirement there.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahahahahahaha oh my God. Thank you for the laugh.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@BlackRockWarlock, perhaps your GIA contacts could send you some referrals. Or, alternatively, you could simply have some stones crudely faceted and submit them to the lab.

Maybe have someone else fill out the intake paperwork though. Brevity is a requirement there.

+1. I also suggest that being someone as clearly learned as you deem yourself, you waste no more of your time with us mere amateurs here on PS. Rather you might find a group of knowledgable professionals - gemologists, lapidaries, appraisers and jewelers to name a few - more to your liking and more beneficial for the purpose of finding the ultimate answers you seek. If you google "gemology" and "online" together, you will be provided with links to just such an excellent group, which will no doubt provide you with everything you could possibly need in the way of resources and information.

Good luck to you with your trove of alluvial stones.

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
Most of those look like what we call "beach agates" around here (i.e., some variety of cryptocrystalline quartz). But I am not sure I want to get notifications about this thread now.

Literally every Michigan beach is covered with what OP is trying to pass off :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results