shape
carat
color
clarity

quality over quantity or quantity over quality?

zackmh123

Rough_Rock
I need opinions. I have been searching around for engagement rings recently. I am looking at a thin platinum diamond band with maybe .5ct in the band and I was hoping to get a nice 2ct round center stone.

Over the weekend I went to barmakian and was able to find the perfect platinum band and diamonds I wanted in it but….I compromised in the size of the center stone to go with quality. I negotiated on a 1.4ct round vvs2 I, excellent cut, center stone rather than a 2ct center stone that would have been the same price range but not as good in quality. (My price range is 10 to 11k)

Basically my question is…….Does a girl prefer quality over quantity or quantity over quality?

She’s very elegant and I just feel that she would appreciate the quality of the diamond I chose for her. On the other hand I am concerned that she would want a bigger stone and sacrifice on the quality. I know she will love and appreciate anything I get her but I just want this to be perfect for her. This is such a big moment and it’s life long. I want to make sure I did this right. Please let me know your thoughts.

I posted this in another thread as well. I am tallying up the quantity/quality answers haha

ring1_74.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quality

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer the quality of a well cut stone always. With your budget, you would not get a well cut 2 ct. stone. Most people don't start out with a stone that size anyway. Did you purchase from a vendor with a good trade up policy in case you might want to do that sometime in the future?

I think the ring you selected is very beautiful and I'm sure she will too. You mentioned what you were trying to achieve but I don't know what your girl wants or expects. At any rate, I don't think she will be unhappy with the ring you will present to her!

zackmh123

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much. I purchased this from Barmakian Jewelers. They seem to be a reputable place. I am also going to look at some more stones with a local jeweler that we usually buy from. I told him that I went elsewhere and told him the size,cut,quality etc.. and he responded not to make a purchase until I see what he has to offer. So I guess I will see tomorrow if he can work something better out. With the budget I have, it's impossible to get a quality like the 1.4ct stone I chose. I could get a 2ct foggy colored stone with inclusions and I would not be happy with that. It's not about what I want though so that's why this is tough haha

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA Excellent cut is a very broad range with some diamonds better than others. I wouldn't consider lower cut quality than that, period. You budget does not allow for a 2 ct stone without a lot of compromises, even though it is a very generous budget.

If your total cost including the setting is $10-11k, you have done pretty well. But you can get into the 1.5 ct range in an I VS2 in the low $10k range, not including a setting.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.56-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2112916

I'd personally rather have the 1.5 ct I VS2 over a smaller VVS clarity stone. VS is very nice quality.

zackmh123

Rough_Rock
Thank you for responding. I am going back in tomorrow to look at more stones. As for now, this is the one that I have picked. It may look funny in the pic because the stone is loose. I am happy with the ring overall and happy with how amazing the diamond looked. I just want to make sure I am getting a good price. I actually got this diamond for $8,800 and the platinum .44ct band for 1200 totaling 10k. I did my homework after and it seems I got a pretty fair price on it but again, I am extremely new to the marriage game and jewelry haha

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
Why not just ask your girlfriend what SHE prefers. It does not matter if you ask internet strangers what they prefer and 99.0% prefers quality over quantity. This is not about what we want..it's about what she wants. Some people love size and some love a certain spec over size. We are not her mind readers...and will not know what she wants.

Marriage requires communication....and you're spending a lot of money. I would hate for this to go wrong where she's a size > quality type (nothing wrong with that despite the popular consensus :naughty: ) and vice versa. Just do her and you a favor and ask her...this way there's no regret/resentment down the road even if she's grateful for the ring. She'll be happy regardless with you asking for her hand...but us women are allowed to have an opinion and preferences right?

How do I know? My boyfriend was going to just pick out a ring for me that he THOUGHT I would like. He wanted to pick something along the line of 1.4 VVS1 G color...and guess what? He was totally off. I had to put my foot down and tell him that I know exactly what I want down to the specs, size, setting, and every detail along the way. You're be surprised what some of the "simpler taste" girls want when it comes to their dream ring.

Bottom line: This is one of the biggest purchase in life....at least take her to a store and ask her what she wants quality or quantity. Once you have that down, you can still surprise her and go by yourself to pick a ring and it saves you the agonizing over what she wants. Did I state too many times to just ask her and take her to go with you at least to one store? Yup, ask her. One more question, why VVS2? That's a bit overkill if you're going for eye clean clarity.

zackmh123

Rough_Rock
good points. The reason for me not directly asking her is because I really wanted to surprise her but you're right. I had her friends do way more investigating and turns out she'd sacrifice a little quality for a bigger stone so that's exactly what I went and did. I also found out that she wants oval shape hahah. So basically the whole ring has changed but like you said, it's good I found this out. I went with an oval 2.01ct stone with the same setting and I think she's going to love it.

Strawberry129

Rough_Rock
zackmh123|1477595274|4091263 said:
good points. The reason for me not directly asking her is because I really wanted to surprise her but you're right. I had her friends do way more investigating and turns out she'd sacrifice a little quality for a bigger stone so that's exactly what I went and did. I also found out that she wants oval shape hahah. So basically the whole ring has changed but like you said, it's good I found this out. I went with an oval 2.01ct stone with the same setting and I think she's going to love it.

I'm so GLAD that you were both able to communicate what she ultimately wanted...I personally love when men let their future wife have input on such a big purchase, which is just the beginning of a long life together when you think about it. Communication+ understanding = win win for everyone! I'm sure she'll love it! :bigsmile:

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Oh wow hahahhahahahh so great that you found out in advance! and look what you were able to get! GREAT job, if only all guys did this... hahahah. Congratulations! :appl: :appl: :appl:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dollyanjuli|1477603351|4091329 said:

Oh wow hahahhahahahh so great that you found out in advance! and look what you were able to get! GREAT job, if only all guys did this... hahahah. Congratulations! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Eons ago, before I was a jeweler, and way before I was ready, I bought an engagement ring, got down on one knee and proposed to the lady I thought was the love of my life. She said yes, I will marry you, but I will NOT wear that hideous ring. I was crushed and the relationship did not long last after that devastating blow.

Soon after I joined the Marine Corps and when I was ready to propose to the true love of my life, I took her with me to pick out a ring. Many years later, that ring was converted into a pair of earrings after a horse ate the center stone right out of the mounting while she was resting her hand on a fence post. She has a much nicer ring or two now than I could afford back then and come to think of it a pair of a brand that I like diamond earrings.

It is ALWAYS good to find out what the lady likes, whether surreptitiously as our OP did, or by taking the lady by the hand and letting her choose like I did. Good job, and I hope that you will be still happy and together 45 years from now too!

Wink

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1477604958|4091339 said:
Soon after I joined the Marine Corps and when I was ready to propose to the true love of my life, I took her with me to pick out a ring. Many years later, that ring was converted into a pair of earrings after a horse ate the center stone right out of the mounting while she was resting her hand on a fence post. She has a much nicer ring or two now than I could afford back then and come to think of it a pair of a brand that I like diamond earrings.

:shock: :o :shock: Wink, you always have the best stories!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1477606900|4091349 said:

:shock: :o :shock: Wink, you always have the best stories!

he really does.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Agreed. That was a real gourmand horse with taste and he definitely went for quality over quantity. :bigsmile:

Aurora43

Rough_Rock
I personally would prefer a high quality beautiful ring with smaller stones as opposed to a ring with larger stones that may be of lesser quality. However, I am so glad you were able to find out exactly what she wants and I am sure she will love the ring you have picked out for her.

Luxxy

Rough_Rock
For me it's always going to be quality over quantity. I would obviously like to get the biggest stone of top quality that I can possibly get, but if it's a choice between sacrificing one for the other, then I'd take a smaller but more well-cut stone.

zackmh123

Rough_Rock
engage1.jpg

So after some investigation, I found out that she wants oval, not round. She was willing to sacrifice on some quality for a bigger stone. So I was able to find a 2.01 ct eyeclear oval and make it all workout. Now I just have to ask her haha. wish me luck

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Many years later, that ring was converted into a pair of earrings after a horse ate the center stone right out of the mounting while she was resting her hand on a fence post.

Wink

And here I am expecting that Wink would have visited that pasture for the ensuing 48 hours to search for it... why give up so easily ;-)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond_Hawk|1477883948|4092179 said:
Many years later, that ring was converted into a pair of earrings after a horse ate the center stone right out of the mounting while she was resting her hand on a fence post.

Wink

And here I am expecting that Wink would have visited that pasture for the ensuing 48 hours to search for it... why give up so easily ;-)

Sigh. You cast aspersions upon my willingness to dig in the muck?

Nay, or should that be Neigh?

Twas my loving bride who said she had stabled the horse and would muck out the mess each morning and literally pan for the ruby that was eaten. "Neigh," said I. "No lovely queen of MY castle shall do a scullery maid's job. I have purchased a surprise for your anniversary and tonight we will celebrate your anniversary early."

And we did.

The End.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck to you!!!!! What are the specs on your oval?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results