Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Purple Garnet Re-Set-Thoughts and Opinions needed please

ZestfullyBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
1,976
I wanted to reset my garnet because the halo I had it in lost 1 diamond two weeks ago and when I picked it up from jeweler another diamond fell out, after washing and drying my hands a few time by the end of the day 2 more fell out. Total of 3 that I'd have to replace on the halo so I decided to have a setting made that would have more metal, just a tad meatier if you know what I mean.

Wanted the setting to be slightly unique and a tad vintage. I decided to go with mydiamondzone.com.

Dont know if Im having reservations. Please provide your comments, opinions, thoughts of the setting. I appreciate your input positive or negative. Just would like some point of views.

purplegarnet.jpg
 

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
877
Just reading what happened I'd suggest finding a new jeweler. It sounds like you replaced the one diamond that fell out and that's why the jeweler was involved. And the jeweler didn't check the security of the other stones? Hmmmmmmmmmm..............
 

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 17, 2009
Messages
12,188
I think it's very pretty ZB, and the garnet looks lovely in the setting - Is there anything specific that's bothering you? I like really it a lot!
 

LisaRN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
3,252
Zestfully I love your garnet. I think the style choice you chose is really nice, but I understand that you need a durable ring and do not want diamonds falling out when you wash your hands.

My opinion- I would keep the same style as it does not detract from the loveliness of your garnet. Perhaps if you are going for a "meatier" setting put the money into getting the highest quality diamonds for the halo and a wonderful basket. I would keep the shank without diamonds and for a vintage feel have your jeweler add some nice engraving. David Klass does this very well and his prices are so reasonable.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,365
It isn't necessarily that the setting is too delicate - it is the quality of the workmanship. I have rings where you can barely see the metal but none of the diamonds have ever fallen out. This is why 2 seemingly identical looking rings can be priced very differently.
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
889
I'd have to agree with Chrono. Now that I'm really really into jewellry I can tell a well made piece over a not so well made piece even from a distance! It really is so important to pay attention to the quality of the work of your jeweller and not just consider price (and I say this as someone that's always limited by price...). The best thing is when you can get a decent quality piece within a 'low budget price' :)
 

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 17, 2009
Messages
12,188
I think ZB is referencing another ring when she talks about the stones falling out. The ring pictured is a new one to replace it, I think she's asking for opinions as to how it looks. ZB, correct me if I'm wrong, I often am lol.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,365
junebug17|1462455758|4027603 said:
I think ZB is referencing another ring when she talks about the stones falling out. The ring pictured is a new one to replace it, I think she's asking for opinions as to how it looks. ZB, correct me if I'm wrong, I often am lol.
That is the way I interpreted her post as well. My response is more of an FYI for the new ring.
 

ZestfullyBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
1,976
Chrono|1462449539|4027555 said:
It isn't necessarily that the setting is too delicate - it is the quality of the workmanship. I have rings where you can barely see the metal but none of the diamonds have ever fallen out. This is why 2 seemingly identical looking rings can be priced very differently.

I agree chrono I believe it's the quality of workmanship as well. The 1st halo setting seemed to have good workmanship until i took it to my jeweler to have it cleaned. The prongs the halo diamonds were in was not holding the stones in place. That's workmanship all day long. I trusted the jeweler I purchased the setting from. I only had that halo setting barely 3 1/2 months and 4 stones fell out. Kind of disappointing. But you learn over time what to purchase from vendors and what not to purchase as well, going forward.
 

ZestfullyBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
1,976
junebug17|1462455758|4027603 said:
I think ZB is referencing another ring when she talks about the stones falling out. The ring pictured is a new one to replace it, I think she's asking for opinions as to how it looks. ZB, correct me if I'm wrong, I often am lol.

lol. :)) Yes JB i am asking for opinions about the current setting. I had mixed feelings about it. But I'm getting over it now. :D
 

ZestfullyBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
1,976
theredspinel|1462450991|4027565 said:
I'd have to agree with Chrono. Now that I'm really really into jewellry I can tell a well made piece over a not so well made piece even from a distance! It really is so important to pay attention to the quality of the work of your jeweller and not just consider price (and I say this as someone that's always limited by price...). The best thing is when you can get a decent quality piece within a 'low budget price' :)
So true redspinel. I actually thought the setting was well made. I did purchase from a highly recommend jeweler that i have given repeat business too. Sadly, the setting was very pretty just didn't meet my expectations. Didn't expect any of the stones to fall out. :shock: :((
 

ZestfullyBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
1,976
LisaRN|1462413526|4027434 said:
Zestfully I love your garnet. I think the style choice you chose is really nice, but I understand that you need a durable ring and do not want diamonds falling out when you wash your hands.

My opinion- I would keep the same style as it does not detract from the loveliness of your garnet. Perhaps if you are going for a "meatier" setting put the money into getting the highest quality diamonds for the halo and a wonderful basket. I would keep the shank without diamonds and for a vintage feel have your jeweler add some nice engraving. David Klass does this very well and his prices are so reasonable.

Thankyou LisaRN! When you say keep the same style are you referring the the previous setting? The current setting though i do not have it in my hand and the moment, is a halo with an antique feel upgraded diamonds, and a lovely basket. IMO. The previous setting, well 4 diamonds fell out of the halo. :blackeye:
 

ZestfullyBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
1,976
digdeep|1462406425|4027384 said:
Just reading what happened I'd suggest finding a new jeweler. It sounds like you replaced the one diamond that fell out and that's why the jeweler was involved. And the jeweler didn't check the security of the other stones? Hmmmmmmmmmm..............

Very good point! I may need to use the better jeweler in my area. Because the jeweler who set my garnet should have check the security of the stones in all actuality. Then I would not have replaced the setting and reset into this one. :think:
 

ZestfullyBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
1,976
Chrono|1462457110|4027612 said:
junebug17|1462455758|4027603 said:
I think ZB is referencing another ring when she talks about the stones falling out. The ring pictured is a new one to replace it, I think she's asking for opinions as to how it looks. ZB, correct me if I'm wrong, I often am lol.
That is the way I interpreted her post as well. My response is more of an FYI for the new ring.

Chrono, this is my first time using mydiamondzone. I will inspect the ring when I get it to see how the workmanship is because I really have know idea other than from photos and other PS testimonials. The service was awesome though. I should receive the ring in a few days.
 

LisaRN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
3,252
ZestfullyBling|1462458226|4027622 said:
LisaRN|1462413526|4027434 said:
Zestfully I love your garnet. I think the style choice you chose is really nice, but I understand that you need a durable ring and do not want diamonds falling out when you wash your hands.

My opinion- I would keep the same style as it does not detract from the loveliness of your garnet. Perhaps if you are going for a "meatier" setting put the money into getting the highest quality diamonds for the halo and a wonderful basket. I would keep the shank without diamonds and for a vintage feel have your jeweler add some nice engraving. David Klass does this very well and his prices are so reasonable.

Thankyou LisaRN! When you say keep the same style are you referring the the previous setting? The current setting though i do not have it in my hand and the moment, is a halo with an antique feel upgraded diamonds, and a lovely basket. IMO. The previous setting, well 4 diamonds fell out of the halo. :blackeye:

I am sorry, I thought the setting pictured was the old setting and it had durability issues. I love the garnet and setting in the picture you posted on this thread.
 

ZestfullyBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
1,976
my bad...I apologize for the confusion... :confused: lol


1st photo is re set done by mydiamondzone


2nd photo is original setting. I replaced the 1st diamond however now its missing 3 in the halo

_37097.jpg

20160425_0.jpg
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
889
Much much much prefer the new setting.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top