shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing process, how to safely spend thousands online?

affguy

Shiny_Rock
So I'm pretty sure I've found the right diamond and have reserved it while I figure out how all this works. Could someone walk me through what the steps are for the various paths that could end up with me having a nice, appraised & insured ring in hand? More importantly for these three options...

a) purchase stone and setting from the same online vendor?
b) purchase stone from one vendor, setting from another vendor, and somehow coordinate things between them?
c) purchase stone from online vendor now and setting at a later date from elsewhere?

Presumably a) and c) are the easiest options...when completed ring (a) or loose stone (c) comes in, I get it appraised locally while still within a return-policy window. While b) would seem to be a viable option, I imagine it'd be more complicated.

And for what it's worth, while I'm sure there's a good reason that PMs are not an option on pricescope (second hand sales come to mind), they sure would be nice for those of us with "curious" partners who've also found the site, as my questions would be much clearer if I could provide specific details. :D

TIA

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Purchasing process, how to safely spend thousands online

If you want anonymity then make a screen name your "curious" SO could never guess and provide more details 8)

To answer your questions:

It is much easier to buy the diamond and setting from the same vendor. MUCH easier. And the vendor selling the stone will take responsibility/liability for damage during the setting process. If you get it set locally you will likely want insurance for the loose stone during setting, as local jewlers do not offer such assurance for a diamond they did not sell you. You can get such insurance but it is an added PITA.

Either way, once the diamond and setting are in your hands as a completed ring, you can get it apprasied for insurance purposes. If you are working with a trusted PS vendor and have bought a diamond with a report from GIA or AGS, then in my opinion you do not need to have the loose diamond appraised for color/clarity etc. All you need is a professional to a) verify the diamond matches the report, either from an inscription on the girdle or from the inclusion map and b) provide a retail replacement value for insurance.

affguy

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it's not my username that gives away my identity, but the specific details of my questions. Perhaps I'll just have to ask her to stay off this site until she has a diamond in (on) hand. :lol:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree that it's much easier to get the diamond and setting in the same place if possible. Most jewelers will not cover a stone you didn't buy from them if it's going in to one of their settings. I do know Pearlmans will cover a stone you didn't buy from them (or the designer will) but as far as I know they are one of the only vendors here to offer this. Regardless of who you buy from though, getting the complete ring is at one place is not only easier but many times more cost efficient i.e. better deal on the ring...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results