shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing OEC''s on Ebay (reasonable price?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve seen a lot of posts lately about people purchasing OEC''s on ebay, so I''ve been searching out of pure curiousity. I''ve found a few vendors that seem reliable, good feedback, good return policy, but prices on ebay seem to be all over the place.

Without getting too personal, what would you expect to pay for an OEC on ebay? I guess I should say that I''m looking for something in the 1-1.25 ct range and I don''t mind a warmer stone, but I definitely want it to be eye clean.

I''ve looked at Old World Diamonds, should ebay prices be comparable? Sometimes, they are! Personally, I would think that ebay prices should be quite a bit less, but maybe I''m setting my hopes too high for a lower price?

Thanks..

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I usually pay under $600 for .50 OEC''s on ebay (including the platinum setting).

For a 1ct. or larger, they are pretty close to Old World prices. Anywhere from $1800 and up depending on whether it''s a seller of diamonds, or just an individual with a ring to sell.

1.8 to 2.0ct. go for around $2800 to $4500. As you can see, the range is fairly large.

Dover, Peter Suchy, Weston, want quite a bit more as they are jewelers selling on eBay.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with PUrrfect- prices depend on who you are buying from. Dealers with comparable policies to the better non eBay online sellers are likely to be very close in price.
The lowest prices would be from private individuals- but there''s greater risk if you go that route.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Secondhanddiamond (used to be Ronald something) has a pretty good eye for finding diamonds, buying them from other ebays, and turning them for a still reasonable price. Someone on ebay recently bought a 1.80ish that she had done this with and still got an excellent deal. She has some larger stones and a pretty good return policy when she flips them.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yanno, it's really variable on ebay. I recently got an I VS2 .80ct oec for an absolute steal--because only a couple of others bid on it. It was far less than comparable stones at OWD, and they have some of the lowest non auction prices for old cuts. So, yah, prices on ebay are all over the place, and if you are patient and watch the auctions regularly--you can find some amazing deals.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone!

What are some of the standard questions you ask the sellers on ebay? And, more importantly, what would make you walk from a deal? I''ve already decided that I won''t use anyone that doesn''t have a return policy, but is there more that I should be considering?

For instance, I asked one seller for additional pictures of the stone and they wouldn''t provide, stating they had an excellent return policy. Would you walk from this?

Also, are the measurement rules still in effect for OEC''s? I know this might be a really elementary question, but I''m really clueless about this! What types of dimensions should I be looking for in these stones? Does it matter?

I really appreciate your help in all of this. I''ve been lurking since I''ve found this forum, and have only asked a couple of questions, but I feel very grateful for the help you have given to me and others.

shady71

Shiny_Rock
I had an email exchange just today with a local Craigslist seller offering a pair of OEC earrings, tw 3.20 carat. Has only one tiny photo, can''t or won''t send any others. Won''t meet to view them even though same county, will only ship. PayPal only, (not even cash in person), NO REFUNDS, etc. etc. I told her no one in their right mind is going to purchase sight unseen!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/13/2009 3:32:01 PM
Author: House Cat
Thanks everyone!

What are some of the standard questions you ask the sellers on eBay? And, more importantly, what would make you walk from a deal? I've already decided that I won't use anyone that doesn't have a return policy, but is there more that I should be considering?
Be very careful about feedback. Although 98% might seem like a great number, often sellers with anything less than perfect have many problems. Check also for withdrawn feedback- this , in particular is a HUGE red flag.

For instance, I asked one seller for additional pictures of the stone and they wouldn't provide, stating they had an excellent return policy. Would you walk from this?
Yes

Also, are the measurement rules still in effect for OEC's? I know this might be a really elementary question, but I'm really clueless about this! What types of dimensions should I be looking for in these stones? Does it matter?
IMO there are no workable rules for the measurements of an OEC or Old Mine cut- an OEC "should" be round and have a small table, but other than that, there's a wire range of depths and looks.

I really appreciate your help in all of this. I've been lurking since I've found this forum, and have only asked a couple of questions, but I feel very grateful for the help you have given to me and others.
My pleasure!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Really, you could get a 2ct for $4.5k? J-M, eye-clean, well cut? Awesome! Anyone have $4.5k to send my way?? Just stick it in my paypal...thank you kindly, I'll post pics
2.gif

ETA when I say "well-cut" I'm thinking of PS beauties...FacetFires, and The Ring That Shall Not Be Named.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For ebay feedback, check www.toolhaus.org. It looks up negative and withdrawn feedback for sellers or buyers.

I might not walk away if the seller wouldn''t provide another photo. It would depend on how much information there was already there and how good the return policy was. Rather than a transfer through your bank through paypal, I''d pay with a credit card through paypal. Then if something goes wrong and paypal denies that it was an issue you can still go through your credit card for a refund.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
ditto addy - read Toolhaus like your bible - and both the negs and positives too.

AWicker

Rough_Rock
After reading this post, I started looking through Ebay and found this ring. It''s no where near my own personal style, but for some reason I''m in love with it. Maybe it''s the warmth of the rose gold that''s getting me... I don''t know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGNIFICENT-VICTORIAN-1-13CT-OLD-MINER-DIAMOND-RING_W0QQitemZ320286769209QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewellery_Watches_VintageFineJewellery_CA?hash=item320286769209&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 3:32:01 PM
Thanks everyone!

What are some of the standard questions you ask the sellers on ebay? And, more importantly, what would make you walk from a deal? I''ve already decided that I won''t use anyone that doesn''t have a return policy, but is there more that I should be considering?

Also, are the measurement rules still in effect for OEC''s? I know this might be a really elementary question, but I''m really clueless about this! What types of dimensions should I be looking for in these stones? Does it matter?

I ask for diameter and depth in mm. I ask for a good face up shot, so I can get an idea of how tight the pavilion angle is--via table reflection compared to the size of the table. I ask for a good profile shot, so I can estimate the crown angle. I like a steep crown and a shallower pav angle in oecs.

As far as measurement guidelines, most ebay sellers don''t have the angles, so use your best judgment and buy from sellers with solid return policies. Oecs can''t generally be judged by the numbers--there are many combos that can be pleasing to the eye, so it''s a good idea to review the stone in person.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My "rules of thumb" for good value are ~$10/pt for stones pt for .75-.95, and ~$20-$25 for>.95+

These are just basics for my initial screening. I may put them aside for something that really grabs me.

As for other stone criteria: condition of the girdle (I don't mind small chips and dings, but they must be disclosed), is there any damage to the stone, type and size of inclusions, and willingness to give me more pictures

I will only buy if they guarantee return! Sometimes you can only tell IRL. And I only buy within the US. I personally wouldn't want the hassle of trying to do an out of country transaction for something like this.

And I love to search for "dirty" pictures. So many of these folks don't even clean things in soap and water before putting them up! Seriously, I bought my 1.07 M oec for $700 because the pictures were so crappy, and honestly the seller was a PITA to deal with, but I could tell the stone was a winner even under the dirt and in the god-awful mounting. I really pushed her, but in the end it was worth it!!

$21/pt

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
That looks like a beauty Upgradeable

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 12:55:11 PM
Author: Upgradable
My ''rules of thumb'' for good value are ~$10/pt for stones <.75ct, ~$15/pt for .75-.95, and ~$20-$25 for >.95+

These are just basics for my initial screening. I may put them aside for something that really grabs me.

As for other stone criteria: condition of the girdle (I don''t mind small chips and dings, but they must be disclosed), is there any damage to the stone, type and size of inclusions, and willingness to give me more pictures

I will only buy if they guarantee return! Sometimes you can only tell IRL. And I only buy within the US. I personally wouldn''t want the hassle of trying to do an out of country transaction for something like this.

And I love to search for ''dirty'' pictures. So many of these folks don''t even clean things in soap and water before putting them up! Seriously, I bought my 1.07 M oec for $700 because the pictures were so crappy, and honestly the seller was a PITA to deal with, but I could tell the stone was a winner even under the dirt and in the god-awful mounting. I really pushed her, but in the end it was worth it!!

$21/pt
I have to admit, I have been eyeing this stone for a couple of days now. What holds me back is the fear of finding a better deal a few days or weeks later! By the looks of what the seller has said in his ad, I don''t think he/she will share anymore photos of the stone. Is there something in particular about this stone that makes it a winner? I look at the diamond and I see that its facets seem really nice and it seems to have a lot of personality, but I am really a beginner here and what looks good to me might look terrible to someone who really knows their stuff!

I''m looking at another mine cut too, it''s a little bit bigger and it is up for actual auction, but I think it might have a chip in the girdle. I''ve asked for more photos and clarification, but the seller hasn''t responded.

All of this information has helped me so much! Thanks again for all of this.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
The polish is good, the symmetry is beautiful! VS clarity is great. And they have a 7 day money back return policy.

I would email them and tell them that you are VERY interested in this stone, but you would like more than one picture from which to base your decision. Be incredibly gracious and complimentary of them, and the stone, but ask for another set of pictures. The tone of their reply will be very telling.

All in all, were I in the market, I would strongly pursue this stone!!!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi House Cat,

I would not let a small chip scare me away, but you do need to get more info about it and have a professional evaluate it in person to make sure it doesn''t pose a problem to the stone''s structural integrity. Small chips can even be polished out with minimal weight loss or, if you leave it alone, hidden/protected by a bezel setting.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
House Cat, I think the I VS2 stone is a beauty too. It has really, really nice pattern and symmetry for an old cut, the measurements indicate it faces up OK for an antique cut, and it looks like it has a nice small table.

Personally, I think that when you start getting into the $9000 and on up range on eBay, you can find some reaalllly good deals. It''s a high enough price range that you have less competition than in the lower price ranges. I got my 3.55ct OEC for a steal, and I think it was because people are less willing to risk that amount on an eBay purchase.

Some sellers will let you negotiate a return policy, it is worth asking if you see something you''re interested in and they state no returns on their auction.

I always ask for more pics, especially if it''s an individual seller. That way, you know pretty well for sure they have the item in hand.

I also do ask questions, just to get a sense of who I''m dealing with- if they''re responsive and nice, or what.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the seller wouldn''t share any additional photos of the diamond with me. He said that he has someone who comes in on Thursdays to take pictures of his diamonds.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Upgradable has a point about the tone of the reply. Even though you didn''t get more photos, what was the tone of the reply like?

It is a beautiful stone. I can''t afford it, but I''ve had it in my watch list for a bit just so I can look at it.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tone of the reply was brief, but nice..."I''d really love to help you, but I only have someone who comes in on Thursdays to take photos."

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well..I asked a bunch of questions about his return policy and made sure this wasn''t a stock photo...then, I bought the stone.

Ebay isn''t for the faint at heart, that''s for sure, but his return policy is very good, so I''m feeling pretty comfortable about this purchase.

Thanks again everyone!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 2:31:32 PM
Well..I asked a bunch of questions about his return policy and made sure this wasn''t a stock photo...then, I bought the stone.

Ebay isn''t for the faint at heart, that''s for sure, but his return policy is very good, so I''m feeling pretty comfortable about this purchase.

Thanks again everyone!
It looks very pretty!! I hope you come back with some pictures of it! I would also look up an appraiser with the resources tab and get the stone checked out just to make sure everything is fine and for peace of mind.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Great! Can''t wait to see pics!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Sweet! Can''t wait for pics!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Yay for you!!! I''m glad you think you''ve found something. And if it doesn''t work, you can send it back. Please make sure you keep us updated on this!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results