Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing Engagement ring, need advice to calm my mind!

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26
Long time lurker here. I'm excited to be able to receive the advice and thoughts from all of you. :wavey:

I think I have found the diamond to be but Im one of those people that second and third guess everything.

The diamond is a princess cut, 1.04 ct E color, VVS2 diamond. The GIA says excellent polish and good for Symmetry and fluorescence was none. The table was 74.4% I believe and the price is $7000.

Is this a good deal?

I know she'd be extremely happy with the size, but should I try and go away from the VVS or E color and go for a larger stone thats VS1 and F color?

I look forward to all the responses.

Thanks in advance! :wavey:
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
I think you need tp focus more on cut and less on color and clarity. GIA do not offer cut grades, but based only on the information provided the table is very large on that stone. Larger than I would like to see to know the stone is well cut. It is only one aspect of cut, but it sets off red flags for me.

AGS does grade cut of princess stones. I would look for an AGS0 princess so ensure top cut, and then lower color and clarity so your budget is going to what will affect the appearance of the diamond the most -- cut quality.
 

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26
Thanks for the response. The diamond looked beautiful to the eye but maybe I should keep searching. I just was trying to avoid online purchasing. :twirl:
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
Dreamer_D|1307423577|2939625 said:
I think you need tp focus more on cut and less on color and clarity. GIA do not offer cut grades, but based only on the information provided the table is very large on that stone. Larger than I would like to see to know the stone is well cut. It is only one aspect of cut, but it sets off red flags for me.

AGS does grade cut of princess stones. I would look for an AGS0 princess so ensure top cut, and then lower color and clarity so your budget is going to what will affect the appearance of the diamond the most -- cut quality.
agree with the above! the cut quality will determine how beautiful and sparkly the diamond is. and you will not see any difference between VVS and VS. I would look for an AGS0 princess locally if you prefer to not shop online, you cannot go by the numbers for princess cuts. here is a video that illustrates cut quality in princess cut diamonds

http://vimeo.com/2050679
 

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26
Well I guess I need to do some more research and find one of these stones locally. The diamond I thought was right was so beautiful but then again I am a novice. I need to find a stone here very shortly and more feedback is welcomed.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
did you look at it in jewelry store spotlighting? that type of lighting can be deceptive and makes everything look great.

it may have looked 'great' to your eye but I think you should train your eye more before purchasing :)
 

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2004
Messages
7,007
No one is saying the diamond is not good - we simply don't have enough information. Do you have the report that you can share with us? Do you have the pictures of the stone? Do you have an idealscope or ASET image?
 

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
1,063
I know you said you wanted to avoid an online purchase but I wanted to throw a diamond out at you. If I was going to be paying that much for a diamond I would want to make sure I was getting the best cut I could get.

This diamond is from WF they are very trustworthly and their products are top quality.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2517149.htm

Make sure you get the pricescope discount

Also they are running a promotion that if you buy a ACA princess you get 10% off a any setting

http://www.whiteflash.com/promotions/aca-princess-diamond-discount-ring-setting.aspx

I think this setting is to die for!

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/amphora-for-princess-diamond-engagement-ring-1521.htm
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,806
farmer gal posted a beautiful stone for you to consider. Most of us came here originally for help finding a diamond and ended up buying online for two major reasons: better quality, better pricing. I would never even look for a diamond locally again because I know that they don't carry the level of superior cut stones that these vendors who specialize in them do. I'd recommend looking at WhiteFlash, Brian Gavin, and Good Old Gold as all 3 will carry outstanding princess cut stones!
 

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26
CharmyPoo|1307432142|2939655 said:
No one is saying the diamond is not good - we simply don't have enough information. Do you have the report that you can share with us? Do you have the pictures of the stone? Do you have an idealscope or ASET image?
I don't have a picture or report but is that something they'll have in the store?

I did notice the Gia report was from 2009 I believe, does that make a difference?

Thanks for all the responses, I know I havent given enough info to really gauge the diamond but I appreciate trying to help :)
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Ditto. Images will help to determine the stone's performance. GIA doesn't exactly give accurate cut graded on princess stones, AGS graded princess stones are a type you should look at.
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Yes, we cannot say for sure how well the stone is cut, my comment about emphasizing cut was based more on your comments about color and clarity. I want to make sure you are also taking cut into account.

Jewelry store lighting makes all stones look great. And if you don't know what a well cut stone looks like, all diamonds are pretty. Its a good idea to train your eyes a little by seeing a variety of diamonds so you know what you like the best, and especially to compare known well cut stones (e.g. AGS0) to other stones to ensure you are happy with your choice.
 

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26
So when you say image, would my 8mp camera on my phone be good enough for a pic from the top?
 

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
1,063
When they say images they mean asset images. It shows the lighting of the diamond. If you click on the WF stone I posted their is asset images attached.

I know you said you don't want to buy online but I thought I would throw some at you from JA that look promising. JA will have their gemologist look at up to three diamonds to see which one performs the best if you call them. I would also request asset images from them if you are interested :twirl:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1362430.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1381893.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1381959.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1229734.asp
 

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26
Alright Farmer Gal, you have convinced me to go online. I can't believe I'm going to do it but with what you have shown em so far and from some of the pics I've seen of princess cut's, I'm not so scared anymore!

With that, I know she is stuck on a tiffany setting and I want it to be platinum. Id like to purchase in 2 weeks. Should I come back with suggestions for stones around that time? I'm so excited right now, I can't wait to get the ring purchased and completed. I think about this all day every day for the last 2 months, I'm ready for it to be over! :lol:
 

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26
farmer gal|1307494936|2940327 said:
When they say images they mean asset images. It shows the lighting of the diamond. If you click on the WF stone I posted their is asset images attached.

I know you said you don't want to buy online but I thought I would throw some at you from JA that look promising. JA will have their gemologist look at up to three diamonds to see which one performs the best if you call them. I would also request asset images from them if you are interested :twirl:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1362430.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1381893.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1381959.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1229734.asp
I REALLY LIKE THE LAST 2!!!

On the 3rd diamond, what's that black spot in the middle?

on the 4th diamond, do you think that's better value than the 3rd? I do get some more size...

My heads going to explode. :lol:
 

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
I am not an expert but there seems to be a 'ring of darkness' around the center of the fourth diamond. I also do not like the look of the first diamond that farmer gal posted.
 

Ickeymouse

Rough_Rock
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
58
I thought that Brian Gavin diamond looked beautious! They have a lot of settings or can make you one too, if you like.

I wouldn't worry about buying online, these vendors know their reputation is on the line (no pun intended), and they have spent many years and advertising dollars trying to build that reputation. I think if you look online, and go with a company that has been around a while, you should have no fears.

Happy Hunting and Congratulations
 

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26
Ickeymouse|1307539245|2940667 said:
I thought that Brian Gavin diamond looked beautious! They have a lot of settings or can make you one too, if you like.

I wouldn't worry about buying online, these vendors know their reputation is on the line (no pun intended), and they have spent many years and advertising dollars trying to build that reputation. I think if you look online, and go with a company that has been around a while, you should have no fears.

Happy Hunting and Congratulations
After reading everything about online, I really feel comfortable about purchasing online because of yall.

The Brian Gavin diamond did look very beautiful.

I guess what I need to do is find my setting (shouldn't be hard, just need a tiffany setting) and then get my list of diamonds down to 3-5 and compare the pro's and con's then pull the trigger!

What's difference between comfort fit and knife edge?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-solitaire-diamond-rings.html
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-solitaire-diamond-ring.html

I like a setting like that.

Again, much thanks to all of you.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
jbauer24|1307565492|2940959 said:
Ickeymouse|1307539245|2940667 said:
I thought that Brian Gavin diamond looked beautious! They have a lot of settings or can make you one too, if you like.

I wouldn't worry about buying online, these vendors know their reputation is on the line (no pun intended), and they have spent many years and advertising dollars trying to build that reputation. I think if you look online, and go with a company that has been around a while, you should have no fears.

Happy Hunting and Congratulations
After reading everything about online, I really feel comfortable about purchasing online because of yall.

The Brian Gavin diamond did look very beautiful.

I guess what I need to do is find my setting (shouldn't be hard, just need a tiffany setting) and then get my list of diamonds down to 3-5 and compare the pro's and con's then pull the trigger!

What's difference between comfort fit and knife edge?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-solitaire-diamond-rings.html
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-solitaire-diamond-ring.html

I like a setting like that.

Again, much thanks to all of you.
all of the PS vendors have tiffany style settings, so I would find the diamond you like best and then go from there.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
definitely find the diamond you like best- any vendor can provide a simple tiffany style solitaire setting for you.
 

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26
Wouldn't it be best to buy the setting from the place I get the diamon so it's all set when I get it?
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
jbauer24|1307584998|2941249 said:
Wouldn't it be best to buy the setting from the place I get the diamon so it's all set when I get it?
yes, definitely. but all of the vendors you are considering have a tiffany style solitaire so I would choose the diamond first!
 

jbauer24

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
26
slg47|1307586139|2941264 said:
jbauer24|1307584998|2941249 said:
Wouldn't it be best to buy the setting from the place I get the diamon so it's all set when I get it?
yes, definitely. but all of the vendors you are considering have a tiffany style solitaire so I would choose the diamond first!
Thank you!

I guess the last thing I'm thinking here is I need to hold off to purchasing until 3rd week of June. I'll be back here shortly to ask you all for which diamonds when I"m in pull the trigger mode. Unless some scorching deal comes up and you think I should jump all over it.

Thanks again so much, I'm very excited and wouldn't have the confidence I have in purchasing a ring without yalls expertise. :wavey:
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top