shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchased a setting, now for a stone

jamespat

Rough_Rock
So I bit on a setting, I was actually not planning on purchasing separately but the opportunity for a discounted setting (compared to the 1500+ I was looking at) was too great to pass (mind you once I receive it, I may think differently). I purchased the setting from Kay's (I know I know I was planning on avoiding them for being so over priced on their diamonds) from their previously owned clearance. It is a 14k White gold with 12 channel set princess diamonds and was around $300 OTD (shipped+sized, they claimed $900 original price). My GF really loved their smooth edge channel set rings (funny thing is she also liked their L1 center diamonds, really hoping for a minimum of a SL1 H or better for the center) so I have tried to find a comparable one elsewhere and had but then this one popped up and while it is a little thinner than the specific one she wanted, it looks nearly identical.

I felt with a $300 setting which I knew she liked, I could dump the crappy 1/6th cw primary stone and get a better one here, which Kay's said they could set for me (the local shop actually has a setter coming in later next month where they can set it that day). I will definitely need a new stone mount but was also told that it should not be a problem to replace the mount on this ring (called a Kay's store which had the new version in stock, he was claiming to sell it on clearance for $550 or so). As my total budget for a ring is 4-5k, I am now thinking I should be able to get a 1+ cw vs2 eye clean primary princess diamond without a problem.

So first question is, do you think I made the right choice? I do not want to be the cheap fiance, but I also dislike spending money I don't need to. I always feel if I look hard enough and give myself enough time, there has to be a deal out there and I felt this was it.

Setting wise, has anyone had experience with Kay's or with changing their diamond mount on a ring? Wondering what the cost will be. And any thoughts on what I can do with a 1/6cw L1 center diamond?

Finally, I have been keeping an eye out on the diamond search and Solomon brothers/USA Cert seem to be offering the cheapest prices but they are not GIA certified. I am considering requesting an IS image from them, do they send them? If not I will probably want to go with a better certified diamond, correct?

thanks

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jamespat|1373669500|3482056 said:
So I bit on a setting, I was actually not planning on purchasing separately but the opportunity for a discounted setting (compared to the 1500+ I was looking at) was too great to pass (mind you once I receive it, I may think differently). I purchased the setting from Kay's (I know I know I was planning on avoiding them for being so over priced on their diamonds) from their previously owned clearance. It is a 14k White gold with 12 channel set princess diamonds and was around $300 OTD (shipped+sized, they claimed $900 original price). My GF really loved their smooth edge channel set rings (funny thing is she also liked their L1 center diamonds, really hoping for a minimum of a SL1 H or better for the center) so I have tried to find a comparable one elsewhere and had but then this one popped up and while it is a little thinner than the specific one she wanted, it looks nearly identical. do you mean SI1 and I1 (as in Slightly Included and Included)?

I felt with a $300 setting which I knew she liked, I could dump the crappy 1/6th cw primary stone and get a better one here, which Kay's said they could set for me (the local shop actually has a setter coming in later next month where they can set it that day). I will definitely need a new stone mount but was also told that it should not be a problem to replace the mount on this ring (called a Kay's store which had the new version in stock, he was claiming to sell it on clearance for $550 or so). As my total budget for a ring is 4-5k, I am now thinking I should be able to get a 1+ cw vs2 eye clean primary princess diamond without a problem.

So first question is, do you think I made the right choice? I do not want to be the cheap fiance, but I also dislike spending money I don't need to. I always feel if I look hard enough and give myself enough time, there has to be a deal out there and I felt this was it.

Setting wise, has anyone had experience with Kay's or with changing their diamond mount on a ring? Wondering what the cost will be. And any thoughts on what I can do with a 1/6cw L1 center diamond?

Finally, I have been keeping an eye out on the diamond search and Solomon brothers/USA Cert seem to be offering the cheapest prices but they are not GIA certified. I am considering requesting an IS image from them, do they send them? If not I will probably want to go with a better certified diamond, correct?

thanks

Hello, jamespat! I think you are right in spending more money on the solitaire! :appl:

But... sometimes it's hard to mount a stone into a ready-made setting for a smaller/larger stone. Do you know if the head can be replaced to accommodate a larger stone than it was originally made for? It really depends on how the setting is made. Can you post a photo of the setting?

Personally, I would not purchase a diamond that was not GIA or AGS certified... especially without seeing it first in person. Other labs, such as EGL and IGI tend to be very loose on their grading. For example, the cert may say H, SI1, but it may really be more like a J/K, I1... :rolleyes:

jamespat

Rough_Rock
msop04|1373672094|3482075 said:
Hello, jamespat! I think you are right in spending more money on the solitaire! :appl:

But... sometimes it's hard to mount a stone into a ready-made setting for a smaller/larger stone. Do you know if the head can be replaced to accommodate a larger stone than it was originally made for? It really depends on how the setting is made. Can you post a photo of the setting?

Sadly they only had the 1 overhead picture of the setting on the site. I called a local Kays store who had the new version in stock and talked with a salesman there who said it was possible to remove the head and install one for a larger stone so I am hoping he is correct.

Personally, I would not purchase a diamond that was not GIA or AGS certified... especially without seeing it first in person. Other labs, such as EGL and IGI tend to be very loose on their grading. For example, the cert may say H, SI1, but it may really be more like a J/K, I1... :rolleyes:

Yea I can definitely understand, from everything I have read GIA and AGS is definitely the best/most consistent. I am just wondering if I do the work and if the companies send me idealscope and 10x images, I am hoping to find a diamond in which the certification is actually correct. Or am I be too optimistic?

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
jamespat|1373669500|3482056 said:
So I bit on a setting, I was actually not planning on purchasing separately but the opportunity for a discounted setting (compared to the 1500+ I was looking at) was too great to pass (mind you once I receive it, I may think differently). I purchased the setting from Kay's (I know I know I was planning on avoiding them for being so over priced on their diamonds) from their previously owned clearance. It is a 14k White gold with 12 channel set princess diamonds and was around $300 OTD (shipped+sized, they claimed $900 original price). My GF really loved their smooth edge channel set rings (funny thing is she also liked their L1 center diamonds, really hoping for a minimum of a SL1 H or better for the center) so I have tried to find a comparable one elsewhere and had but then this one popped up and while it is a little thinner than the specific one she wanted, it looks nearly identical. do you mean SI1 and I1 (as in Slightly Included and Included)?

thanks

+1

If it is possible to switch the head on the setting, how much will that cost?

I'd probably get the setting checked for workmanship and quality of the channel-set stones. I do not have personal experience with Kay, but I've read reviews.

Is it possible to return the setting if need be?

jamespat

Rough_Rock
Wednesday|1373734742|3482428 said:
+1

If it is possible to switch the head on the setting, how much will that cost?

I'd probably get the setting checked for workmanship and quality of the channel-set stones. I do not have personal experience with Kay, but I've read reviews.

Is it possible to return the setting if need be?

I am assuming the cost will be a few hundred, along with the mounting. From my call with the Kay's jeweler, when they have the in shop setter (which is insured supposedly, I asked) he will have a selection of mounts to pick from and it should be possible to do same day turnover (although I am not sure I will have selected a diamond in time).

I definitely plan on getting the setting checked out but honestly it is a 14k with pretty low quality (H/I1) princess cut diamonds (tw .2 or something, very small). The setting she was originally liked was the same design/quality of diamond, but a tw of .5. I know that is significant in size but she was more focused on the primary and how she wanted something over 1cw. She really liked the band due to its smooth edges and simplicity I believe more than the channel diamonds. I will still get it checked, but honestly with the cost I just dont see getting a different setting any cheap, even with changing the mount.

In the end though, the online representative and their policy is a 60 day money back guarantee even on clearance items, we will see if that holds up if I do feel like it needs to be returned.

Is there anything I should personally look at on the band to determine craftmanship or do I need to take it to a professional for inspection?

thanks

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
I'd take it to a professional to ensure the setting is structurally secure and that the stones are not at risk of falling out.

If it is going to end up costing $500+ why not just get a 14k metal solitaire setting without the channel-set stones, if your gf doesn't care about the channel-set stones? You could get a nice one around that price.

For me, I'd be leery of low quality princess cuts (cut plus the color/clarity issues) and I highly value a nice quality setting, especially for a ring that would be worn every day. For these reasons I'd be cautious about this, especially as there would need to be a modification that may change the overall look. Better to buy both setting and stone together, or stone first, then setting if necessary. This sounds like a lot of work for an unknown outcome!

I'm glad you have a return policy as a back up if it is not to your liking or is not the best use of your budget.

jamespat

Rough_Rock
Wednesday|1373742240|3482460 said:
I'd take it to a professional to ensure the setting is structurally secure and that the stones are not at risk of falling out.

If it is going to end up costing $500+ why not just get a 14k metal solitaire setting without the channel-set stones, if your gf doesn't care about the channel-set stones? You could get a nice one around that price.

For me, I'd be leery of low quality princess cuts (cut plus the color/clarity issues) and I highly value a nice quality setting, especially for a ring that would be worn every day. For these reasons I'd be cautious about this, especially as there would need to be a modification that may change the overall look. Better to buy both setting and stone together, or stone first, then setting if necessary. This sounds like a lot of work for an unknown outcome!

I'm glad you have a return policy as a back up if it is not to your liking or is not the best use of your budget.

Oh she definitely wants the channel set, not just a solitaire, I am considering showing her a few set of pictures of multiple rings and throwing some in from this one to see what she thinks of it but we will see. I agree a $500 solitaire ring would definitely have been possible, but not what she wanted. From what I can tell, ALL of Kays channel set smaller diamonds are L1/H pretty much so I see no reason to buy higher when my main focus for budget is the center and she has already stated she was very happy even with them being L1 (the real question will be size on these channel sets in comparison I admit).

Wouldn't the professional being brought into kays who will be the one changing the mount and mounting the new primary be the profession who ensures it is secure? I will be making sure his setting comes with a guarantee. And when I was looking through the setting/diamond options I was definitely leaning towards the combined purchase thinking the separate purchase was not worth the work. But considering all of the settings online comparable to what she wanted were $1500-2000 (showed her pictures), this is a much more reasonable option. With how she reacted to the Kay's setting, I wanted to get it, but all of their center stones are crap or way over priced which was making me lean away from them completely and thinking of going with a setting/diamond from GOG. But this setting popped up and I am hoping it is close enough to what she originally saw that I can put a new center in and make it exactly what she wanted.

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
Might you have access to high-quality channel settings in your area that you could look at? It may help you evaluate the Kay setting once you have it in hand.

Re: the professional evaluation - I would get an independent opinion regarding the setting quality if it is to your liking. Even if Kay has a guarantee, you don't want stones falling out frequently or the ring getting warped. Every time something goes wrong, it will require a visit for repair and time spent without the ring.

Are there online reviews for the setting in question (or a similar channel setting)? I'd start with a Google search to see if there are any widespread or troublesome issues.

I think the price difference alone is a red flag on quality, if similar settings from trusted online vendors with good quality channel-set rings at decent prices cost that much more. Have you posted a thread here about settings? Some people here are really good about finding nice settings within budget. Or maybe I'd call Yekutiel at I.D. Jewelry to get a price comparison on a 14k white gold setting with Pricescope-quality princesses channel set. How wide is the band your gf likes? Does she have any opinions on the propotional width of the metal walls of the channel on the band to the stones?

I like your idea about showing her the different pictures! That will be very helpful in making a decision. :)

Proceed with caution, and whatever you decide, hope it all works out well!

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
With your budget, I would buy the setting and the diamond from the same vendor and have them set it. I know some people have had good luck with them, but I don't trust Kay further than I can throw them and in my experience, the quality of their craftsmanship and diamonds are poor. Switching out the head from 1/6 carat to 1 carat is a big change and I'm not sure I'd trust their bench to do it.

Just quickly looking, you could get a similar setting at James Allen:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channel-set/14k-white-gold-0.25ct-channel-set-princess-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-1061

And they have 1 carat H SI2 princess cuts within your remaining budget. James Allen also gives a discount to Pricescope users.
I haven't run the numbers on these, but here are two examples:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-216932
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-204995

I wouldn't buy a stone that is not certified by GIA or AGS. Don't rely on getting light performance images or even magnified pictures from many vendors. James Allen provides ASETs for up to three stones, I believe.

I'm just using James Allen as an example -- there are other great vendors that could work within your budget.

jamespat

Rough_Rock
UberClaire|1373746997|3482508 said:
With your budget, I would buy the setting and the diamond from the same vendor and have them set it. I know some people have had good luck with them, but I don't trust Kay further than I can throw them and in my experience, the quality of their craftsmanship and diamonds are poor. Switching out the head from 1/6 carat to 1 carat is a big change and I'm not sure I'd trust their bench to do it.

Just quickly looking, you could get a similar setting at James Allen:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channel-set/14k-white-gold-0.25ct-channel-set-princess-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-item-1061

And they have 1 carat H SI2 princess cuts within your remaining budget. James Allen also gives a discount to Pricescope users.
I haven't run the numbers on these, but here are two examples:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-216932
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-204995

I wouldn't buy a stone that is not certified by GIA or AGS. Don't rely on getting light performance images or even magnified pictures from many vendors. James Allen provides ASETs for up to three stones, I believe.

I'm just using James Allen as an example -- there are other great vendors that could work within your budget.

Sadly I showed that one specifically and other comparable settings but she wanted smoother edging, not the square style. Not sure if the term is knife edge or what?

These were two of the non-Kay settings she thought she liked.
http://www.bluenile.com/princess-diamond-engagement-ring-white-gold_20310
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/cathedral-channel-set-diamond-engagement-ring-1223.htm

but again the price difference is significant between just the settings. Even with the change in mount. I know there is some risk in mount change, I plan on checking with multiple professionals to see their thoughts but right now, monetarily, this is the only option I can find which gets me a channel set 14k band at hopefully around $500 which will hopefully leave me another ~4k for the center diamond which gets me to the 1cw. If I go with a 1.5k setting that drops me to a ~3k center which, as you pointed out, means I probably wont be able to get a GIA 1cw diamond.

If I am missing a potential setting which has a similar appearance to those two, and is around 1k with a mount already set for a 1cw diamond please link as I would definitely jump on it and cancel this order as I think it would save me effort/time and probably get me a better guarantee.

jamespat

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1373755103|3482550 said:

Sadly I had shown her a similar one to the first setting and she dislikes that point into the mount it had. The second one would definitely had potential except i think she wants the channel diamonds to also be princess but I will check as it definitely falls into the right price range. Sadly the diamond is a little above my price range when combined with the setting but I have found a few on that site which I would hope would work.

I found this setting which is close, but again channel round diamonds.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Princess/1/8889/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Channel-Set-Round-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-14K-White-Gold-(1-5-cttw..).aspx

thank you for the links :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very small rounds look better than very small princesses. Brighter, sparklier.

jamespat

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1373757053|3482562 said:
Very small rounds look better than very small princesses. Brighter, sparklier.

They may, but in the end it is up to her :), I will definitely pass the images along to see what her thoughts are.

thanks

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
http://www.bluenile.com/channel-diamond-engagement-ring-white-gold_20304

$1045 in 14k gold

I'd be careful buying from Blue Nile, though. The only stones they provide pictures of are their "signature ideal" cuts, and that's out of your price range for what you want. Many of the 1 carat H SI2 princess cuts on James Allen had black carbon spots which would probably be eye-visible inclusions once set. You'd be taking a gamble if you couldn't see the stone, but I've been told Blue Nile has a great return policy. Nine times out of ten, diamonds are prices accordingly to how desirable they would be to a consumer. Whether that means they have eye-visible inclusions, poor cut, etc is hard to tell when you can't see a picture.

I still don't think I understand why she likes the BN and WF settings you posted and doesn't like the JA.

jamespat

Rough_Rock
UberClaire|1373818930|3482838 said:

$1045 in 14k gold

I'd be careful buying from Blue Nile, though. The only stones they provide pictures of are their "signature ideal" cuts, and that's out of your price range for what you want. Many of the 1 carat H SI2 princess cuts on James Allen had black carbon spots which would probably be eye-visible inclusions once set. You'd be taking a gamble if you couldn't see the stone, but I've been told Blue Nile has a great return policy. Nine times out of ten, diamonds are prices accordingly to how desirable they would be to a consumer. Whether that means they have eye-visible inclusions, poor cut, etc is hard to tell when you can't see a picture.

I still don't think I understand why she likes the BN and WF settings you posted and doesn't like the JA.

It is not my area to question but yea :).

And interesting definitely a potential for the link, will share it. Thanks

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
What I mean is, unless I'm missing something, they're basically the same setting. Did she look at it from all of the views they offer?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not buy a previously owned setting with poor quality diamonds for an engagement ring. It doesn't have the right size head in it, so that will cost additional money. Is the ring even her size?

Honestly, you have been given some good alternatives. I think you are making a mistake buying a used setting with poor quality diamonds.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
jamespat|1373854461|3483069 said:
UberClaire|1373818930|3482838 said:

$1045 in 14k gold

It is not my area to question but yea :).

And interesting definitely a potential for the link, will share it. Thanks

It's bc the JA setting shows a CAD rendering, not a pic of the actual setting - I'd be willing to be it's not that "blocky and square" in real life! I'd shoot them an email or give them a call and see if they have some real life pics of that setting, then make your determination!

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1373861457|3483123 said:
I would not buy a previously owned setting with poor quality diamonds for an engagement ring. It doesn't have the right size head in it, so that will cost additional money. Is the ring even her size?

Honestly, you have been given some good alternatives. I think you are making a mistake buying a used setting with poor quality diamonds.

+1

I agree with diamondseeker2006... I think you may be inviting a whole lot of problems, should you go with the Kay's setting. The head will be an issue. If you have to spend several hundred to get a new head, then it sort of cancels out "the good deal"... If it's not the right finger size already, sizing a ring with channel setting can compromise the integrity and leave the channels "loose". The fact that the channel set princess diamonds are just fair quality (at best) would make me want to run for the hills. :errrr:

You can get a nice setting for your budget. I'd get her the biggest, nicest diamond your budget will afford, present it in a sleek solitaire setting, then have your FF help pick out what she'd like sometime after you propose. This will allow you to save a little more money, if need be...

Some chicks say they want a "surprise," but I can promise you that most would prefer a quality setting that they loved if they had to choose between the two.

You've been given some great options by PS members. :)

diamond_concierge

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am a fan of the diamond blueprint feature, particularly the virtual loupe.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UberClaire|1373904777|3483288 said:

Thanks for adding this, UberClaire! I think the OP's GF may be right about the blockiness though... ::)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UberClaire|1373906042|3483304 said:
And here are some recently purchased of the Blue Nile setting:

The 1/4c total weight:
http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/recently-purchased-engagement-ring-details?ring_id=182502678
http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/recently-purchased-engagement-ring-details?ring_id=728381906

The 1/2c total weight:
http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/recently-purchased-engagement-ring-details?ring_id=282227283
http://www.bluenile.com/engagement-rings/recently-purchased-engagement-ring-details?ring_id=227389876

The 1/2 ctw setting is really pretty. :))

jamespat

Rough_Rock
Well, due to the overwhelming good information and strong opinion, I have decided to cancel/return the ring (sadly in process of being shipped but I can return to the store for full refund I am told, we will see if they deduct a percentage but if so it is a learning cost). I think many of the options posted here should definitely work and if it is an extra 500-1k out of pocket, well I will live, I want to make sure it is right. I haven't had a chance to look through the most recent links provided so will be doing so now but I just want to thank everyone for the advice/links. And once I have picked a new combination of setting/diamond I am sure I will be asking more.

Thanks for all the links Uber, definitely looks different from the CGI but still I think a little blocky. It is good to know I can find 'sold' pictures online. I do like that 1.4k setting, just really want to find a 1cw to go with it. We will see what else I can hunt down.

I am really considering that B2C round channel set ring. After showing pictures to GF she isn't quite so worried about the channel diamonds being different round with a princess primary. Anyone here with experience with such a setting? Do the rounds distract in shape or do they merge fairly well?

thanks

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jamespat|1373909207|3483344 said:
Well, due to the overwhelming good information and strong opinion, I have decided to cancel/return the ring (sadly in process of being shipped but I can return to the store for full refund I am told, we will see if they deduct a percentage but if so it is a learning cost). I think many of the options posted here should definitely work and if it is an extra 500-1k out of pocket, well I will live, I want to make sure it is right. I haven't had a chance to look through the most recent links provided so will be doing so now but I just want to thank everyone for the advice/links. And once I have picked a new combination of setting/diamond I am sure I will be asking more.

Thanks for all the links Uber, definitely looks different from the CGI but still I think a little blocky. It is good to know I can find 'sold' pictures online. I do like that 1.4k setting, just really want to find a 1cw to go with it. We will see what else I can hunt down.

I am really considering that B2C round channel set ring. After showing pictures to GF she isn't quite so worried about the channel diamonds being different round with a princess primary. Anyone here with experience with such a setting? Do the rounds distract in shape or do they merge fairly well?

thanks

jamespat, this is just another reason that your FF will love you even more! =)

Just to clarify, your GF wants a princess center stone, correct? If not, you could get more look for your buck with a round, as they face up larger. :halo:

jamespat

Rough_Rock
msop04|1373911352|3483374 said:
jamespat, this is just another reason that your FF will love you even more! =)

Just to clarify, your GF wants a princess center stone, correct? If not, you could get more look for your buck with a round, as they face up larger. :halo:

Definitely a princess as primary. :)

So question, I requested an idealscope image of it, but this is on the GIA report. It is a VS2 diamond. Being VS2, even though it has these inclusions it should still be eye clean correct?

http://i39.tinypic.com/v5fmlx.jpg

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1373906773|3483313 said:

Unfortunately, Blue Nile won't sell their settings alone -- you must buy a diamond from them.

A VS2 diamond should definitely be eye-clean. (There have been extremely rare instances that I've read of on Pricescope where that is not the case, but if it's a GIA or AGS-graded stone, VS2 should be eye-clean when set)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results