shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchased a damaged Diamond need advice

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone, recently my fiance has purchased a 2.6 carat diamond from a huge online diamond retailer. Once received it was noticed right away that there is a chip on the diamond and I was able to feel it by running my finger across the bottom of the diamond and it was snagging. This was not noted in the GIA report, however upon closer inspection from the online photos I can actually see the damage, I of course didn't catch it prior to purchasing the diamond. It was returned the same day as received. That said, it has been over a month and the retailer has noted that the diamond is actually damaged due to trauma and that they 'inspect' all diamonds prior to shipping it out, suggesting that I had damaged the diamond and now they cannot accept the return as it is not in original condition. I had the ring for about an hour and it was not dropped or hit against anything! I was hoping to get some advice, and see if the community agrees that the diamond appears damaged prior on the listing itself. I have included magnified photos of the area that is chipped or snagged. On the GIA report it is only noted that there are clouds and inclusions near the edge, but never a crack or anything! I find its obvious from the zoomed in photo especially given that there is a weird light reflecting onto the bottom of the diamond where the chip or crack is. These are the photos taken off of their website, it is taken of the diamond prior to being sold and shipped to me. Is it normal for inclusions to reflect like that? Any advice is appreciated.
diamond damage 2.png diamond damage 2.png Screenshot 2021-04-06 181114.png Screenshot 2021-04-06 181204.png diamond damage.png

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
When was the diamond graded?

October 9 2020 is what is on the report, I purchased the ring in February 2021 but unsure when the diamond was listed for sale.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both parties agree that there is damage, but disagree on whom did the damage. It is your word to theirs. It is going to be a tough one. I hope trade members and those who have legal background join this thread.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Did you pay with a credit card?

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
No, the diamond was over the limit I have my card, it was paid via bank wire. Mostly I was wondering if any experts can give an opinion on whether the images are normal for a diamond in good condition. That’s where the chip I felt was and the chip that they noted on the denial of return. It just seems to me that these photos show there’s something wrong with that particular area. TIA

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I can only suggest that one of the inclusions closest to the surface came away and formed the chip? If so, that's tricky. The vendor's photos could be accurately showing a stone with near surface reaching inclusions which for whatever reason is now a chip.

I have no idea what obligations merchants have in selling stones that may be susceptible to chipping (ie - telling you the risks) but if the other inclusions seem stable and your stone is beautiful overall, a good setting will help you enjoy it. I hope you come to a resolution.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your opinion. It is quite unfortunate. The ring was only in our legal possession for less than 24 hours before the chip was reported to the retailer. We actually only had the ring for less than an hour because My fiance picked it up from UPS at 6pm the day before and gave it to me the next afternoon around 12 pm

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is such a sad story when it should be the happiest of times
if you can't get a credit hooefullu your jewler can hide it with a prong and the ring will still be beautiful

If the vendor is adamant it happened while in your possession would your contents insurance policy cover it ?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What clarity grade is the stone per GIA?

As already mentioned, it seems both parties agree damage exists but not in agreement with when it was done or who is responsible.

That said, could this have been damaged in transit? And if so, would the shipping insurance cover this claim? How well packed was the stone upon receipt? You mentioned "ring" so I assume it was mounted and likely in a box that was inside a box sort of deal.

Agree with Garry, get an experienced appraiser. At this point, it doesn't matter if you are right or wrong. An unbiased opinion of an expert is needed to resolve the issue.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your opinion. It is quite unfortunate. The ring was only in our legal possession for less than 24 hours before the chip was reported to the retailer. We actually only had the ring for less than an hour because My fiance picked it up from UPS at 6pm the day before and gave it to me the next afternoon around 12 pm

Ahh. I didn't read properly perhaps but did the vendor set the stone in a ring for you? So you received a ring from the vendor and could feel the chip between the prongs/settings? I'd consider raising the issue as anything could have happened at the setting stage!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have three smaller diamonds with feathers near the girdle. In one of those stones, whilst some of them are surface-breaching, they’re called internal inclusions on the GIA report.

I knew about these surface reaching inclusions prior to submitting to GIA and I was surprised they didn’t call them external, but as I wanted the GIA for colour and clarity - I didn’t care.

All this to say: It is also possible that the stone is actually in exactly the condition it was sent in.

You do need an appraiser. It sounds like you had the stone (was it mounted in a setting? Or was it loose?) for a very short time, but I don’t suppose you’ve got any of your own photos? Also, you mention that you could feel the inclusions running your finger along the underside of the stone, but the inclusion plot you’ve posted is the top of the stone - what does the other side look like on the report?

Last edited:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With your photos taken from the website, there was obviously some blemish or inclusion or chip on or in the diamond when delivered to you. It might be a "natural" or some chip. It should not be a matter of "you caused it" because you have proof it was already there when the vendor or their source took the photo.

If the vendor is still acting badly after a reasonable conversation about their photo having shown the situation, then arrange to take back the diamond. Arrange to have the chip fixed if it gives you a big headache to see it. The diamond will lose a tiny bit of weight, and there will be some costs, but if you are truly stuck, that's what's left. Nobody can professionally advise you by a photo if the damage you see is actual damage or what is known as a natural. It ought to have been on the clarity plot if it was there all along. It may have happened after the Lab Report was created, too. Maybe it was set and nicked after the report and before you bought it. This is pure guesswork, not a verdict.

Why not show the entire clarity plot? It would be helpful to see it. Others will want to look at it. I am also curious to see the plot. Please add it to this thread in full color so we can see if there are any external blemishes or naturals plotted in green and red internal inclusions.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would be LIVID if I had the stone for less than an hour and they are blaming you and refusing to return. That is ridiculous. I am so sorry you are going through this and hope you can get it resolved. I would try to keep contacting the vendor and go further up the chain to speak to someone who might help you.

Last edited:

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
This is such a sad story when it should be the happiest of times
if you can't get a credit hooefullu your jewler can hide it with a prong and the ring will still be beautiful

If the vendor is adamant it happened while in your possession would your contents insurance policy cover it ?

Thanks for the reply, not insurance likely wouldn't cover it as it would fall under accidental damage.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
I would be LIVID if I had the stone for less than an hour and they are blaming you and refusing to return. That is ridiculous. I am so sorry you are going through this and hope you can get it resolved. I would try to keep contacting the vendor and go further up the chain to speak to someone who might help you.

Thanks, at this point I don't know what to do, I have sent it back to them and they confirmed receipt on March 12. After they denied my return last Thursday they are still investigating now given that I sent them the photos that were on their website to tell them that to me it was there prior to being purchased by me.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
What clarity grade is the stone per GIA?

As already mentioned, it seems both parties agree damage exists but not in agreement with when it was done or who is responsible.

That said, could this have been damaged in transit? And if so, would the shipping insurance cover this claim? How well packed was the stone upon receipt? You mentioned "ring" so I assume it was mounted and likely in a box that was inside a box sort of deal.

Agree with Garry, get an experienced appraiser. At this point, it doesn't matter if you are right or wrong. An unbiased opinion of an expert is needed to resolve the issue.

The diamond was SI1 on the GIA. I don't think it was damaged in transit, the ring was set by this jeweller and was already in a ring box. It was unlikely to be hit by anything.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
Ahh. I didn't read properly perhaps but did the vendor set the stone in a ring for you? So you received a ring from the vendor and could feel the chip between the prongs/settings? I'd consider raising the issue as anything could have happened at the setting stage!

Thank you! Yes, I had them set it for me. Will do ☺️

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
"yes, upon receiving my beautiful new diamond jewelry I repeatedly smashed it against all the hard surfaces I could find until I damaged it" Said NO customer EVER. 100% they sent it to you in this condition and that's just SLIMY that they would even think to blame you. :x2 Good for you for doing your due diligence. I am sorry and hope they fix their error. I would be curious as to who the vendor is but understand you don't want to disclose that until you have resolution.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
I have three smaller diamonds with feathers near the girdle. In one of those stones, whilst some of them are surface-breaching, they’re called internal inclusions on the GIA report.

I knew about these surface reaching inclusions prior to submitting to GIA and I was surprised they didn’t call them external, but as I wanted the GIA for colour and clarity - I didn’t care.

All this to say: It is also possible that the stone is actually in exactly the condition it was sent in.

You do need an appraiser. It sounds like you had the stone (was it mounted in a setting? Or was it loose?) for a very short time, but I don’t suppose you’ve got any of your own photos? Also, you mention that you could feel the inclusions running your finger along the underside of the stone, but the inclusion plot you’ve posted is the top of the stone - what does the other side look like on the report?

Hi there, you can't see the chip from the top of the stone only feel it from the bottom, perhaps I'm not equipped to fully be able to examine it. You can feel a snag when you run your fingers on the bottom. Upon the return they actually said that the damage was done by trauma and is not naturally occurring.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
With your photos taken from the website, there was obviously some blemish or inclusion or chip on or in the diamond when delivered to you. It might be a "natural" or some chip. It should not be a matter of "you caused it" because you have proof it was already there when the vendor or their source took the photo.

If the vendor is still acting badly after a reasonable conversation about their photo having shown the situation, then arrange to take back the diamond. Arrange to have the chip fixed if it gives you a big headache to see it. The diamond will lose a tiny bit of weight, and there will be some costs, but if you are truly stuck, that's what's left. Nobody can professionally advise you by a photo if the damage you see is actual damage or what is known as a natural. It ought to have been on the clarity plot if it was there all along. It may have happened after the Lab Report was created, too. Maybe it was set and nicked after the report and before you bought it. This is pure guesswork, not a verdict.

Why not show the entire clarity plot? It would be helpful to see it. Others will want to look at it. I am also curious to see the plot. Please add it to this thread in full color so we can see if there are any external blemishes or naturals plotted in green and red internal inclusions.
Thank you for your advice it is much appreciated. Here is the full GIA report of the diamond I had purchased.

Attachments

• gia report diamond.pdf
    933.4 KB · Views: 19

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is ridiculous. You have direct evidence, using photos taken by THEM, that it was there before you got it and direct evidence in the form of the GIA report that it was NOT there on some date shortly before that. GIA keeps good notes on things that they see but that aren't included in the reports for whatever reason. If there's any debate at all that this wasn't there when the report was prepared, they should be able to discuss it with you.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, at this point I don't know what to do, I have sent it back to them and they confirmed receipt on March 12. After they denied my return last Thursday they are still investigating now given that I sent them the photos that were on their website to tell them that to me it was there prior to being purchased by me.

Again I would just try to talk to someone and go up the chain of command. Also, I don’t really like this idea because it means you have to work with them and they seem like jerks but maybe exchange for another stone even if it means paying a little more? Again don’t really like that idea but throwing it out there. I don’t know if there’s anything to do with your bank given the situation. Finally if they aren’t accommodating I would be raising holy hell and saying that you are going to be leaving negative reviews etc. about the experience.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is ridiculous. You have direct evidence, using photos taken by THEM, that it was there before you got it and direct evidence in the form of the GIA report that it was NOT there on some date shortly before that. GIA keeps good notes on things that they see but that aren't included in the reports for whatever reason. If there's any debate at all that this wasn't there when the report was prepared, they should be able to discuss it with you.

Very wise advise here.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My proposed solution, for whatever it's worth, is a bit harsher than David's.

1) They refund your payment, in full, immediately. (OK, give them a few days to evaluate the whole situation. To say the least this needs to be kicked 'upstairs'. It's an ugly story).
2) They get it repaired. This is not your problem.
3) They get it reinspected by GIA. Again, not your problem.
4) They offer to sell you a different stone, or that one repaired, or whatever they want to keep you as a customer. They have no obligation to do this, nor do you have an obligation to accept. If you don't buy it for whatever reason, they sell it to someone else.
5) You buy the new or repaired stone or shop somewhere else, as you wish, and you both put this whole affair behind you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think many of us recognize the photography. I personally am really surprised that this vendor is giving you problems - they’re known for being quite customer service centric.

Escalate this. Call in and speak with a manager. Get that manager’s name and email address, and explain that you will send a followup email with your understanding of the conversation immediately afterward. The promise of a written record of a conversation tends to inspire helpfulness.

thecatmom

Rough_Rock
Hi there, you can't see the chip from the top of the stone only feel it from the bottom, perhaps I'm not equipped to fully be able to examine it. You can feel a snag when you run your fingers on the bottom. Upon the return they actually said that the damage was done by trauma and is not naturally occurring.

This is concerning. Even if the part of the diamond is holding up for now, it is fragile and will break off eventually. Am so sorry you are going through this. I would escalate to the highest person-of-contact I can find through PS or Linkedin or other sources.

Also, recently there has been an uptick of problems with this vendor. I have come across several posts here on PS about issues with them.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, recently there have been an uptick of problems with this vendor. I have come across several posts here on PS about issues with them.

There are? I’ve missed these complaints.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results