shape
carat
color
clarity

Pumpers unite!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi pumpers :wavey: :wavey:

Wondering if any of you who pumped at work breastfed "extendedly"? How long did you send BM to daycare? And how did you taper? I want to continue BFing my son for a long time, but I dont really want to pump if I dont have to :wink2: so I am wondering about just nursing in the morning/evening/weekend once he hits that year mark?

Apologies in advance since I am sure that this has been touched on before, but I am 3 pages in and need some sleep :halo:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miscka, I nursed until my son was 14 or 15 months old but I stopped pumping when he was just over 12 months old. I slowly started giving him cow's milk during the day and he would nurse before work, after work and at bedtime. I was so scared to stop pumping but I went from 2 to 1 pumping session then none over the course of about 3 weeks. It didn't seem to impact how much DS was getting when he did nurse. Do you have any frozen milk? How old is your LO? I know AllieLuv is still nursing her son who is 14 or 15 months but I think she may still pump. Hopefully she pops in with some pointers. I started this thread about breastfeeding and working outside of the home and lots of people chimed in with some great advice - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/breastfeeding-beyond-12-months-and-working-outside-the-home.160636/#post-2924460#p2924460']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/breastfeeding-beyond-12-months-and-working-outside-the-home.160636/#post-2924460#p2924460..[/URL].

Good luck!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! That is perfect, just what I was wondering. I do have frozen milk, a decent amount. As it is now, he is almost 10 months and has started to go longer between BF sessions (he has been with me for 2 months due to a surgery) and loves to eat solids. So I was trying to figure out how to arrange things when he goes back to daycare in the next week or so.

Sounds like I can send his milk in a cup closer to 1 year (he LOVES drinking from a cup) and then just start letting him have milk at school and nurse as he wants at home. I really hope my supply stays big enough!

I am super tired of pumping, as I am sure you ladies understand!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I've long been weaned (hurray!), but did want to pop in and give a word of warning that frozen milk goes so much quicker than you expect! DS was entirely on frozen from 12-15 months and we went through it like wildfire due to differnt guidelines on using it vs. fresh milk. I hadn't anticipated that and probably would've handled his transition to cow's milk differently had I known.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and to add to what LS said - there are so many different viewpoints on how long thawed milk is good. My pedi said a week in the fridge, one LC told me 2 days and one told me 3. :rolleyes: It just requires a lot of planning!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1325605607|3094042 said:
...and to add to what LS said - there are so many different viewpoints on how long thawed milk is good. My pedi said a week in the fridge, one LC told me 2 days and one told me 3. :rolleyes: It just requires a lot of planning!

See, this is what's so frustrating- I was told 24 hours max and that's what we adhered to, which is why we wasted a lot. And I was told you could only heat frozen once- so after it was thawed, you could heat it once, and then it had to be tossed.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
LS I was also told 24 hours! Interesting. I don't think I would stop pumping to rely on my stash, but good to know. THanks!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found I got a lot of conflicting information on breastfeeding in general but the storage is a big deal. No one wants to give their child *bad* milk!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Correct me if I am wrong - but I was told that "bad" milk wouldnt make LO sick, he just wouldnt drink it. Unlike regular cows milk. Did I make that up?

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Miscka, I am still nursing my boy 2-3 times a day, he will be 15 months on the 12th. He is not really taking to cows milk, I can't get the boy to drink too much of it. He usually will nurse right after daycare, and then sometimes in the middle of the night and in the morning. I really do feel like I am making him nurse. If I wasn't offering he would most likely be weaned by now but I am so nervous about him getting the milk (any milk) into his system. I pumped until a little past 12 months. He wasn't taking bottles at that point because he can't have them in the 12 month classroom at work.

To my husbands cringing...I plan to keep nursing him until the summer when I am off and can brainstorm ways to get him to drink cows milk or until he starts drinking milk on his own if before the summer. He will be around 20 months at that point. I am hoping he just gets used to the taste. He eats yogurt, so I figure he must be getting enough calcium.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Allie, that is good to know!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
K's not much of a milk drinker - she was fine till we stopped her bottle and switched to a cup with a straw (she will drink anything but milk out of a sippy). I'm trying not to worry about it - she drinks some milk with her cereal, and eats cheese and yogurt. I'm guessing she's probably ok for milk intake.

RE using up frozen milk: I did follow the 24h rule more or less, but I believe that starts from when there are no more ice crystals in the milk. I'd pull out the baggies to thaw in the fridge the night before, and they were 5-6oz baggies, so one bottle each. K would drink the BM cold out of the fridge, or run briefly under warm water to take the chill off. If she didn't finish one bottle, I'd save it for the next time and top it off with more clean thawed milk.

I also had to transition her to regular milk very slowly by mixing 25% milk in with the BM, then 50/50, then 75/25. She didn't much like the taste at first.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
bumping this for a friend to see

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Resurrecting this thread as I am now developing an "intimate relationship" with my Medela Symphony (hospital rental). I'm a new mom, Ethan Gim was born via c-section on Feb 17th. We've been having trouble breast feeding, so I've been pumping and giving him that. My milk supply has come in and according to the lacation consultant, a very ample supply.

So now I just wish he'd latch!! We had latching kind of down, but he lost it just before leaving the hospital. We were visited by hospital lactation consultants but they weren't very helpful at all. Our Pedi recommended one, so we had a visit today. She's perplexed why Ethan won't latch since I Have a good milk supply, and good anatomy shape etc. So we'll need to practice some more.

Anyway, that's my back story, so I've been pumping and feeding to DS since birth. Feeding has been via Supplement Nursing system the tube thing that you attach to a bottle. We've been doing finger feeds, and hoping he'll transition to the breast soon. Every now and then I get discouraged and figure we'll just do bottle fed breast milk.

So, any of you mamas transition your LOs to the boob? Can you share your story on the transition?

And tips from EP mamas on how to stay sane? I feel like I'm always pumping. Do I get up in the middle of the night to pump too even though my supply is in? The lact consultant said that I should just pump until I'm comfortable since I'm making so much milk Ethan isn't drinking it all. We've got 6 bottles in the fridge at a time. When should we think about freezing it?

EP mamas, how did you know when to bump up LO's bottle size. He's taking 60ml-70ml per bottle now.

Thanks,
LC

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
congratulations and welcome to Ethan!
my story is a little different as I had twins, they initially didn't latch great but I nursed exclusively for the first week, then they lost too much weight and my supply wasn't great so we had to supplement with formula. then I hemorrhaged and my supply completely tanked- at which point I started pumping almost exclusively until my supply was back.
so they really didn't latch very well until they were I think about 5-6 weeks old and then something just clicked and they got it. I'm not sure that their is much to advise re the transition, as I just kept trying and eventually they got it.
I did get up in the middle of the night- I pretty much pumped every 3 hours, but I was trying to build up my supply too. Even though your supply is ample now I think your body is still establishing your supply until like 12 weeks post partum so I would pump at least once during the night, otherwise I'm afraid your body would think you didn't need the milk and then your supply would decrease. that's what I would be worried about.
I also bought a hands free pumping bra so I could do other things while I pumped too, that helped keep me sane. I did feel like I was attached to the pump though- we had a love/hate relationship! It's hard with a newborn.
You'll know when to give him more- when he's still hungry after getting a bottle. I usually would increase by an oz when they needed more and see how that goes.
Good luck!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
tiffanytwisted|1330060149|3133081 said:
I did get up in the middle of the night- I pretty much pumped every 3 hours, but I was trying to build up my supply too. Even though your supply is ample now I think your body is still establishing your supply until like 12 weeks post partum so I would pump at least once during the night, otherwise I'm afraid your body would think you didn't need the milk and then your supply would decrease. that's what I would be worried about.
I also bought a hands free pumping bra so I could do other things while I pumped too, that helped keep me sane. I did feel like I was attached to the pump though- we had a love/hate relationship! It's hard with a newborn.
You'll know when to give him more- when he's still hungry after getting a bottle. I usually would increase by an oz when they needed more and see how that goes.
Good luck!

Yes, yes, and yes!! Everything TT said! I'm shocked the LC told you to ignore the MOTN! That's a quick way to kill your supply if it's not established. Besides, your goal is to have him BFing in the MOTN so your body needs to make milk at that time. I don't get the "pump until you're comfortable" comment. You want to make sure you're pumping both fore milk and hind milk. Maybe that's not what she meant.... Pumping was never fun, but with a hands free pumping bra it was at least "me" time. I would shop online, post on PS, read a book, etc. Stuff I wouldn't have had time for otherwise. I would freeze once it's a few days old or you know you won't be using it soon. We always offered more milk if O finished a bottle. He was a light eater so it didn't happen often!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Congrats to you, LC, and welcome Ethan!

I'm no expert, but count me as surprised as well that your LC said to skip the MOTN pump. Like others have said, your body regulates its supply at 12 weeks so I think you need to pump as often as you can until then. I think I pumped 8 times a day then and yes, it totally sucked! In fact, I remember sitting in our recliner at midnight hooked up to the pump and staring rather resentfully at my husband who was snoring away. That's when I decided I was treating myself to a ring of some sort as a present to myself ;)) I also found a way to snooze while pumping so at least I was able to get some sort of rest in the MOTN.

Also, I started freezing once I had milk that would not be used in 5 days. I also had a great supply. If you start freezing, make sure you date the bags and note the oz and maybe rotate a bag of frozen into the day's feedings every now and then. That's the one thing I would do differently- use frozen earlier. I had 1800 oz frozen and used it when I weaned from the pump, but that meant my son was getting breastmilk from months 2 or 3 when he was actually 12-15 months old. Not that it's bad or harmful, but not as nutritionally sound as it could've been. Also, taste your milk several days after it's been pumped and thaw a bag of frozen and taste it to see if you have excess lipase. Some babies don't like the taste (who can blame them?) and refuse to drink it, even though it's ok. I had too much lipase and for a few days, my son rejected the frozen, sending me into a total spiral of despair b/c I had all that frozen milk. In the end, he ended up drinking it, but I was really nervous for awhile.

I also second the hands-free bra suggestion. Invaluable! If you're going to be an EPer, get 2- that way if milk spills or leaks onto it, you won't have to worry about washing it right away.

I never tried to get my son to latch on after I decided to EP (he was tongue-tied and we didn't have it clipped). I did put him to the breast once when he was like 8 or 9 months old just to see and he totally bit my nipple. ;(

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really have anything new to add...just some support. :) Absolutely positively get a hands free bra. You can sleep while you pump with that thing! ...or read a book, check email etc. As someone with a plentiful supply, I can tell you that cutting out a pump or pumping less frequently than you would feed is a sure fire way to cut your supply.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LC - It sounds like your LC didn't offer any advice? In hindsight, I wish I would have changed my LC. She (the doctor) was highly recommended, but she had a bunch of LCs, none of which were as good as she. I would look for another. I think it's good you have someone coming to your home. I was going to an office that was 45 mins away, and it was not ideal, especially when she was so young, like less than a week. It was crazy, but I kept going til she was almost 3 months. Again, in hindsight, I would have had someone coming to my home regularly until we got through it.

In terms of transitioning to BF'g, are you expressing a little before you try. Baby will be happier if milk is available from the get-go. I am going to look through my materials here to see if I have any good advice for you. Have you looked at Kelly Mom yet? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

Re: EPing, honestly, I think it's way to early to consider it. Yes, it's an alternative, but it is so time-consuming and really just a complete drag!! Don't give up on BF'g. I have every confidence that you and Ethan will work things out, but you do need support, so again, I'd be looking for someone new. I know it can be really confusing. BF'g is supposed to be this perfectly natural thing that just happens without a second thought. Unfortunately, that is not the case in our society, so we do have to really work at figuring it out, and that's why good support is so important.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1330094113|3133270 said:
LC - It sounds like your LC didn't offer any advice? In hindsight, I wish I would have changed my LC. She (the doctor) was highly recommended, but she had a bunch of LCs, none of which were as good as she. I would look for another. I think it's good you have someone coming to your home. I was going to an office that was 45 mins away, and it was not ideal, especially when she was so young, like less than a week. It was crazy, but I kept going til she was almost 3 months. Again, in hindsight, I would have had someone coming to my home regularly until we got through it.

In terms of transitioning to BF'g, are you expressing a little before you try. Baby will be happier if milk is available from the get-go. I am going to look through my materials here to see if I have any good advice for you. Have you looked at Kelly Mom yet? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

Re: EPing, honestly, I think it's way to early to consider it. Yes, it's an alternative, but it is so time-consuming and really just a complete drag!! Don't give up on BF'g. I have every confidence that you and Ethan will work things out, but you do need support, so again, I'd be looking for someone new. I know it can be really confusing. BF'g is supposed to be this perfectly natural thing that just happens without a second thought. Unfortunately, that is not the case in our society, so we do have to really work at figuring it out, and that's why good support is so important.

I agree with LV on this. I gave up on nursing VERY quickly- less than a week after my kid was born. We had the tongue-tie issue, of course, and I do feel like I made the best decision I could with other variables (like my newly adopted daughter's well-being) impacting things...BUT, I do wonder what would've happened if I'd stuck with it long enough. Maybe it would've worked...that's my regret.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Ladies, thanks for the advice. Well, I still pump once at night, around 12:30 or so, but not in the early morning. I pump maybe 8 times a day? Maybe today will be 7 since I skipped the 3AM feeding DH did.

I'm definitely frustrated that this is so hard. Did you ladies try to put the baby to breast every time he/she was fed? Or only a couple of times a day? Right now, DH and almost alternate every other feeding, and I definitely offer (briefly) whenever I feed him. I only offer maybe 5 times. He gets fussy, starts shaking his head no, then cries. I don't want to force him too much because I don't want taking the breast to be a "bad" association for him. Is this just me over thinking it?

Thanks,
LC

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
LC, I'm not sure about your specific situation, but I just wanted to say that I think you're doing a great job and it's amazing you've gotten your supply up to where it is.

I guess all I can say is that since he has latched in the past, you know he doesn't have a latch issue. I'd probably steel myself for a hard couple of hours and only offer the breast for an hour or so. I know when I was trying to get Claire to take a bottle for the first time when she had to go to daycare, she wouldn't take it at first. I had to experiment with how to hold her and I got her to do it, and then the first day at daycare (only a few hours) she wouldn't take it again. She took it the next day though. So I would say just keep trying and don't be afraid to let him get a little hungry or fuss. Give yourself a set time to try - maybe 15 minutes the first time, 30 the next, etc. And can you try pumping or hand expressing a little milk so your boob is nice and milky right away? Maybe he just needs to "remember" that milk can come from there too.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

moxie.moo

Shiny_Rock
LC, I found that regular bras with an "x" cut in at the nipple made pumping easier as well, but only when I for sure committed to EPing (they are not nursing bras, just regular bras.) I buy them on the cheap and use a razor or exacto knife to cut an "x" in through the fabric and foam (these girls need a little shaping help) and that way I don't have to change my bra to pump while driving, at work, etc. Definitely keep putting Ethan to the breast--I know several friends who have finally had success at 6 weeks or so. I am still envious of BFing babies and moms 6 months later since it takes less time, there's less cleanup and no need to lug a pump and a cooler around everywhere, let alone wash pump parts and bottles, etc. Good luck!!!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others. Pump 1-2 times in the middle of the night. Right now your supply is getting established and his needs will be increasing. I struggled with supply and wish I'd started pumping earlier on to help with that. I was told to pump 10-12 times a day at the start, and was also told to pump till the milk stopped flowing, not just to comfort. You need to empty the breast to stimulate production well.
If you have the tube for fingerfeeding, you can try to get him on the breast by taping it to the breast and trying to latch him on with the tube in his mouth as well. Then he'll get some easy-flowing milk which should encourage him to keep going. Or feed him part of his meal by whatever method you're using so he's not starving when you try to latch him on. I'd just keep offering the breast a few times a day to see how things go. I found K did a better job eating from me at night because she wasn't as awake and distracted by things, nor was she as easily frustrated.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Start freezing whatever you're not going to use. I loved the plastic freezer bags that would freeze flat (saved lots of room) but started off with ice cube trays so I could thaw 1/2oz at a time. Milk keeps up to 7 days in the fridge, right? So I'd freeze whatever was getting to the 5 day mark before it went bad.
Thaw some so you use a bit of frozen each day along with the fresh. The more I froze, the happier I was, because I knew I'd be able to stop pumping sooner and still meet my goal of 1 year of BM. If you're going back to work, you'll probably appreciate having the backup supply at some point.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
I think I've got the equivalent of a 1 day supply rotating in my fridge. If I start getting more than that then I'll take your advice and start freezing.

DRK, thanks for your input. We use the tube thing to finger feed. I've tried starting DS out on just the boob, but hes' so hungry it doesn't work. So I start with the tube thing, then switch to breast. We've tried the taping to the nipple thing, and that always ended poorly: him getting frustrated and me crying. So we're sticking to just finger feeding.

Skippy thanks for the link. Very useful, I've read through them. Thanks.

Ethan latched using a nipple shield, so that's progress.

~LC

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey, have any of you guys gone on transatlantic flights while pumping? If so ... HOW?

I'd been mostly pumping but BFing once a day or so just to bond before I had a nasty bout of mastitis ... and it looks like the baby's gone off the breast entirely. :(sad

We're planning to fly to Sweden in June, when he'll be 8 months old, and I'm kind of stumped as to how to handle it. Before, I'd thought that I could pack a bottle or two and BF as a last resort, or to relieve pressure. But if I can't remind him of how to BF ... do planes accommodate pumping mothers? Will I be allowed to commandeer a bathroom for 15 minutes to pump? Or am I going to have to just suck it up for 10 hours and hope there aren't any physical reprecussions?

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Circe - I flew transatlantic multiple times while pumping. DH and I would be in the two seats by the window, and I would just throw a hooter hider thing around my neck and pump away. The plane has so much background noise that it wasn't too noticeable. And really, I didn't much care. It's less obvious when you're not in the bulkhead seat, and we couldn't put K in a bassinet past 6mo anyhow because as soon as she could sit up, it wasn't allowed. If you don't feel comfortable pumping in your seat, I'm sure you could commandeer a bathroom for the 15min. I always had slow letdown and had to pump for 30min at a time, so that wasn't possible for me. No one ever complained, and they didn't even really look. DH and K blocked most of the view anyhow. (I have the Med.ela Free.style, which is pretty small). I took a couple bottles of BM in the cooler pack that came with the pump. I had crap supply and couldn't bear to throw out any milk, so any extra I made, I froze when I got to our destination and then transported back in a styrofoam container with dry ice to keep it frozen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results