shape
carat
color
clarity

PS''ers with big diamonds... DSS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Maisie, I almost didn''t even open up this thread because I don''t think of my diamond (2.36 RB) as "big"! But then I saw that you are asking about 2 carats and up!!! So, see, I am already acknowledging that I am sick, sick, sick!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Honestly, to me, no... my diamond does not look BIG.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
To my friends and co-workers (and even strangers, at times) it must look big, though, or else they are all lying to me!!!
2.gif

However, I love it, and I know it is a beautiful stone... but yes, I have DSS and I probably always will. I would LOVE to have a 3.5+ ''er, (and I think it would have to be at least that size for me to SEE IT as "big"!) but honestly, THATJUSTAIN''TEVERGONNAHAPPEN!!! The cost would be CRAZEE and just not affordable for us. The reality is that we are just normal, middle class working people, and there are just too many other places we need to put our money... and I am, believe it or not, a practical girl!

So what do I do? I tuck that UPGRADE dream away in the back of my mind and enjoy my stone... and 99% of the time I feel totally content and happy with what I have. I truly believe this is my FOREVER stone... and I am fine with that. I realize I am lucky and blessed and I am grateful and appreciative for what I have. And even my own sick mind
2.gif
REALIZES that an AGS-0 2.36 diamond is nothing to sneeze at!!!
9.gif

Now, I will say that I do toy with the idea of one day changing the setting... hmmmm.... a Leon three stone perhaps with my (.75 each) studs maybe????!!
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
But even THAT isn''t in the foreseeable future. I still ADORE my fishtail pave set from WF and it ain''t going anywhere anytime SOON, let me tell you!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
My center stone is 4.09 asscher. My DSS also "comes and goes"... but I could easily go bigger (6+) since asschers face up smaller than many shapes.

But.... as Maisie states, "where does it end?"... not sure I know the answer to that, but I try to satisfy my need for size with bigger gemstones for RHR''s.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Well, my center stone is a 4.26 that looks like a 2ct. to not only me, but several other people.
Yeah, I want to change it. I waited too long for my upgrade and then I rushed into it.
Spent a huge amt. of money and I feel the stone should reflect that.
(does that sound tacky? Probably not the best choice of words.)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 8:09:20 PM
Author: bebe
Well, my center stone is a 4.26 that looks like a 2ct. to not only me, but several other people.
Yeah, I want to change it. I waited too long for my upgrade and then I rushed into it.
Don''t feel bad - I had the same experience with my original ering stone (1.64 ct asscher). I really wanted an asscher, and I thought I wanted a stone that was the size of a 1.5 ct (7.5 mm) for my size 5 finger. My DH let me pick the stone and setting, but he kept saying that the 1.5 ct asscher I liked looked really small, and he eventually made me get the bigger one, 1.64 ct. Then I went to show it off and work, and everyone told me that it looked small - under a carat (6.2 mm). Since the stone was expensive & DH paid a lot for it, it hurt both of our feelings that people thought that he didn''t spend as much on the stone as he did - my secretary actually mentioned that she thought he would get me something bigger, since she knew how successful he is. That''s when I did research (this was pre-PS) and I realized that a 1.5 ct asscher faced up about half the size of a 1.5 ct RB, which is what I though an asscher would face-up like. I know it sounds bad, but I feel like it was a waste to spend so much on a stone that looked so much less impressive than it was.

So, I traded up for a larger asscher, but then it bothered me that 2.25 ct asscher only faced up like a 1.3 ct RB (7 mm). So now I have a 2 ct RB that looks like a 2 ct stone (8.1 mm). I am finally happy with this size.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

How is that? Even if it doesn''t face up as big as a RB, the 4.26 has to go somewhere. Am I wrong? Are you not looking at 4.26 cts of diamond when you look at it?

I can''t imagine having "DSS" with a 2 ct RB. It IS big. It takes a big head to put it in. Other people notice that, even if you don''t.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 11:46:23 PM
Author: Imdanny

How is that? Even if it doesn't face up as big as a RB, the 4.26 has to go somewhere. Am I wrong? Are you not looking at 4.26 cts of diamond when you look at it?

I can't imagine having 'DSS' with a 2 ct RB. It IS big. It takes a big head to put it in. Other people notice that, even if you don't.
Imdanny,
bebe is posting about how SHE feels. Get it?? Got it?? GOOD.
20.gif

She is entitled to voice how she feels. I remember her quest.
5.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock

How is that? Even if it doesn''t face up as big as a RB, the 4.26 has to go somewhere. Am I wrong? Are you not looking at 4.26 cts of diamond when you look at it?

I can''t imagine having ''DSS'' with a 2 ct RB. It IS big. It takes a big head to put it in. Other people notice that, even if you don''t.

Well how rude is that??? It is her ring and if she isn''t happy with it, she should get what she wants.
9.gif
Afterall, Women are different then men you know
36.gif
36.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock

I can''t imagine having ''DSS'' with a 2 ct RB. It IS big. It takes a big head to put it in. Other people notice that, even if you don''t.
yeah, it is there - maybe it''s kinda like buying a small inexpensive car, but installing a larger aftermarket engine. YOu know it''s there, but it doesn''t show. In my case I''ve almost felt inclined to pull out a copy of my GIA cert to prove the size. I made a mistake and fixing it would cost another boat load of cash.

Perhaps you need to understand cuts of diamonds before making these statements. You do seem to be on a roll tonight.
Thanks to those of you who do understand. This is a big deal to me and it bothers me everyday.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 12:18:55 AM

yeah, it is there - maybe it''s kinda like buying a small inexpensive car, but installing a larger aftermarket engine. YOu know it''s there, but it doesn''t show. In my case I''ve almost felt inclined to pull out a copy of my GIA cert to prove the size. I made a mistake and fixing it would cost another boat load of cash.

Perhaps you need to understand cuts of diamonds before making these statements. You do seem to be on a roll tonight.
Thanks to those of you who do understand. This is a big deal to me and it bothers me everyday.
I am so sorry. I do understand.
5.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kaleigh, the understanding is very appreciated.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Hi Bebe,
I had no idea you felt this way, and I must''ve missed where its been discussed previous. I am sorry you are not totally happy..
But fwiw, I wanted to let you know your ring is one of my all time faves on here - centre and all !

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 1:10:18 AM
Author: arjunajane

Hi Bebe,
I had no idea you felt this way, and I must''ve missed where its been discussed previous. I am sorry you are not totally happy..
But fwiw, I wanted to let you know your ring is one of my all time faves on here - centre and all !
Ditto! Bebe, I love your ring, but you are the one who wears it and only YOU can make the decision to change it or not! Thank you for being honest about your feelings....that''s why we are here, I thought, to support each other, too.
33.gif

I had a 3 ct. EC ring that I consigned with Dover Jewelry. It is now in layaway and someone will soon own my beautiful ring....I just couldn''t get used to that HUGE thing on my finger. Now, I wish I had it. It cost a fortune and I was feeling guilty about spending the money.
7.gif

Lori

My Daniel K wedding ring is awesome, with a 1.46 EC center stone and 4.46 tw, but I want a bigger center stone.

Here is a photo of the setting.

Ring_3_22ct_4415.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

This is my Daniel K wedding ring.

Lori

lwwdk3.jpg

bebe

Ideal_Rock
beautuful rings Lori.

You sized down
6.gif

I can understand that though.

I don''t dislike my ring, I just feel the center cushion
doesn''t look like a 4ct stone. In some of my pics I posted
when I first got it Dec. 8, ''08, the stone looks large, but in
real life, no way. It also doesn''t help that Leon set the stone
as low as possible. We discussed that and he said it should
be set that way. We even talked about a halo, but again,
I listened to him - he nixed the idea. I purposely used step
cut side stones so the center stone would show up more.
But honestly, to my eye, they just all flow together, one
big blur. Oh well. The most expensive mistake in my life.

Lori, I hope you can make our Houston GTG. I''d love to
meet you and see your pretties!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 11:13:57 AM
beautuful rings Lori.

You sized down
6.gif

I can understand that though.

I don''t dislike my ring, I just feel the center cushion
doesn''t look like a 4ct stone. In some of my pics I posted
when I first got it Dec. 8, ''08, the stone looks large, but in
real life, no way. It also doesn''t help that Leon set the stone
as low as possible. We discussed that and he said it should
be set that way. We even talked about a halo, but again,
I listened to him - he nixed the idea. I purposely used step
cut side stones so the center stone would show up more.
But honestly, to my eye, they just all flow together, one
big blur. Oh well. The most expensive mistake in my life.

Lori, I hope you can make our Houston GTG. I''d love to
meet you and see your pretties!
HI:

I understand what you are saying--for the expense you want the stone to be "quantifiably" worth it. Makes sense to me.

Such a beautiful ring, btw.

cheers--Sharon

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I need help
6.gif
My first engagement ring was .5 ct, which is was quickly upgraded to .8 before the wedding. At my tenth anniversary, the plan was up upgrade to a 1ct. By that time I wanted a 1.25. We found a wonderful 1.23, after joining PS. Within 18 months, I have my present ring--1.62 ct. I''m already talking about the next upgrade
23.gif
I''m think that I should just halo the stone and be done with it, except I love my setting. I''m not a well woman. DSS sets in on the ride home from the jeweler''s
38.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 11:33:30 AM
Author: risingsun
I need help
6.gif
My first engagement ring was .5 ct, which is was quickly upgraded to .8 before the wedding. At my tenth anniversary, the plan was up upgrade to a 1ct. By that time I wanted a 1.25. We found a wonderful 1.23, after joining PS. Within 18 months, I have my present ring--1.62 ct. I''m already talking about the next upgrade
23.gif
I''m think that I should just halo the stone and be done with it, except I love my setting. I''m not a well woman. DSS sets in on the ride home from the jeweler''s
38.gif
HI:

Your ring is very beautiful! I vote no halo! (not that you were asking....
9.gif
)

cheers--Sharon

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Risingsun, your set is GORGEOUS..lots of bling going on..I also vote NO halo. Don''t get me wrong, I love my halo, and it sure cured teh DSS, but my solitaire setting was kind of "blah"..your setting is stunning!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need help
6.gif
23.gif
38.gif
You may not be well but you are funny! DON''T halo that stone - keep the ring and upgrade the stone! Your jeweler sounds like he has been a dream to work with - give him a call and find out what he can work out for you. This time, make the leap to the 2 carat mark. It will be a large size jump and once you''ve crossed the 2 carat line, I think you will be happy! Course I say all of this assuming the funding is there but that may just be a small detail to be worked out!

Your ring is gorgeous just the way it is. . . but if that thumping in your head won''t quit. . . upgrade is the only solution!
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need help
6.gif
23.gif
38.gif
I know exactly what you mean. The only thing that will stop me upgrading is not being able to afford it. Once I get to the end of what I am able to pay on a diamond I will have to stop. I don''t think I am that far away from there now. Maybe just one more upgrade
9.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 4:35:09 PM
Author: Maisie

I need help
6.gif
23.gif
38.gif
I know exactly what you mean. The only thing that will stop me upgrading is not being able to afford it. Once I get to the end of what I am able to pay on a diamond I will have to stop. I don''t think I am that far away from there now. Maybe just one more upgrade
9.gif
And what do you have in mind for your next upgrade? Another Infinity stone?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 4:55:42 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

I need help
6.gif
23.gif
38.gif
9.gif
Yes it will be an Infinity diamond. I would trade mine in against a new one. Not yet of course. I only just got this one. Give me a few weeks lol!!
9.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 4:57:03 PM

Date: 4/12/2009 4:55:42 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

I need help
6.gif
23.gif
38.gif
9.gif
Yes it will be an Infinity diamond. I would trade mine in against a new one. Not yet of course. I only just got this one. Give me a few weeks lol!!
9.gif
Ha! Will give you plenty of time - just used to you making fast moves!! When you say upgrade, I turn around and it is here!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be honest I am looking to stop this upgrading malarky. Its time I got a stone and settled with it. There are so many other jewellery projects I could be getting on with and there is no need for me to keep changing this stone. I would like to find a final bigger stone and make the decision to stop..... otherwise it will never stop!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that diamond stud earrings are really great to have! Your new 1.5 carat is huge, beautiful, and looks right at home on your finger. No one on here would blame you for going bigger though!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love some diamond stud earrings. They are on my list of things to get. I wonder if I will stick with this diamond or upgrade it. I wonder why I keep wanting bigger. It could be hanging round PS too long, or it could be that I just love big honkin diamonds!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 5:28:07 PM
I would love some diamond stud earrings. They are on my list of things to get. I wonder if I will stick with this diamond or upgrade it. I wonder why I keep wanting bigger. It could be hanging round PS too long, or it could be that I just love big honkin diamonds!
Did you care about diamond size before you joined PS?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 5:47:30 PM
Author: elle_chris

Date: 4/12/2009 5:28:07 PM
Did you care about diamond size before you joined PS?
No I didn''t. I wonder if I am too materialistic and greedy. Maybe thats why I keep doing it.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think it has anything to do with being materialist and greedy. Are you bored? I think more about rings and what I have or don''t have when I don''t have anything to do that keeps my attention.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I can honestly say that my 4.04 Cushion looks just right on me IMO. I''ve never experienced DSS. Ironically I''ve talked about gettting another smaller stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results