shape
carat
color
clarity

PSers: Help Deciding on a Round Diamond

bps413

Shiny_Rock
I've been a lurking on here for the last few months and have learned so much from all of you - this is truly a terrific community and am so glad I discovered it. So here's the situation: I'm closing in on purchasing a MRB diamond to propose to my longtime girlfriend. It's been a particularly tough year for her as she's been on the front lines fighting the pandemic, so I'm hoping to get some help finding the absolute best diamond I can for her, within my budget. All in, I'd like to stay around $15K including the setting, but there is some flexibility if "the perfect" diamond is a hair more than my stated budget. It will be set in a classic platinum Tiffany style six prong.

With Covid, we haven't had an opportunity to look at diamonds in person together, and at this point if we were to, it would probably tip my hand that I'm planning to propose soon. She's told me that she'd like to be between 1.5-2ct and does not want the diamond to be "yellow." I do not believe she is extremely color sensitive - she has a 0.4ct I ACA pendant (avatar photo) and loves it and doesn't see any warmth at all. I think something in the G-I range will be plenty white for us, as long as it's a sparkle bomb! She's pretty sentimental so I don't imagine her taking full advantage of the upgrade program, but I could see us using it for an anniversary upgrade down the road. Eye clean from 6" is preferred, otherwise HPD/WF definition is completely fine.

I'm considering a few options and was hoping you all could weigh in - do any of these stand out to you for a particular reason, and if so, what is that reason? I'm open to other diamonds as well so if you discover something that may be better, but inventory in this range seems to be pretty limited right now.

WF ACA 1.588 H VS2 - https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3738893.htm - H/VS2 seems like it would be a sweet spot, but doesn't leave a lot of room for the setting and the size is on the lower end.

WF ACA 1.691 I VS2 - https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4356728.htm - At this size, I don't think the warmth will be too noticeable, especially in a six prong setting, but interested in your feedback. Good size, VS2 clarity, eye clean and the price seems really competitive especially when compared to the I stone below with worse clarity...

WF ACA 1.702 I SI1 - https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4059382.htm - Good size, hopefully the tint wouldn't be too noticeable. SI clarity but $1,500 more expensive than the 1.691 VS2 above...can't really explain why so if anyone can educate me, I'd be interested to know why!

HPD 1.68 H SI1 - https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10812 - Good size, H color. Don't love the dark inclusion on the table but I trust it is eye clean and would be a top performer nonetheless.

WF also has two other 1.6ct H's but they seem to be reserved right now. Imagine those will be purchased in the next two days. Both HPD and WF also have some J's in the 1.8ct range that would fit my budget...but I'm afraid they may be a little too warm for an ER.

Any and all thoughts/comments welcome. Thank you for your help!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

just thought I would say in terms of colour selection don’t forget that colour is most discernible when looked at from the Pavillion. Colour is graded face down.

With a Tiffany setting you will be able to see the Pavillion of the diamond and therefore may notice the colour more strongly then with the pendant which is primarily viewed from the table ie. face up.

Just something to consider.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think if she already has an ACA you should stick with that.

I think you may want to stick with an H because color will be much more apparent in a 1.5-2ct versus her .40 ct pendant.

It doesn’t sound like you are comfortable with getting an SI stone.

So that brings you back to your initial thought process of VS clarity and H color.

Which means you are looking at the first stone unless the other 2 that WF has in VS and H that are on hold become available.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @headlight’s way of thinking. There’s only 0.1mm difference in size between the biggest and smallest of your choices which is unlikely to be visible. There is limited inventory at the moment, I looked at Brian Gavin too and they have very few stones.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Suggest you put the 1.588 on hold while you decide as it might get snatched up.

bps413

Shiny_Rock
I think you may want to stick with an H because color will be much more apparent in a 1.5-2ct

Thanks @headlight and @Snowdrop13 Wanted to provide an update that I did put the 1.69 I on reserve for now while I weigh my options. My SA at WF confirmed it is a very high I. She provided this comparison with the H's that are already reserved and said that in person with her trained eye, it is difficult to discern a difference in the warmth from the pavilion view, so that's a positive I think. Also, there is no difference between the H's and I's top down.

Is a lower end 48% Star less desirable? Or what kind of impact will this have on the diamond? Sorry...still learning!

bps413

Shiny_Rock
side by side.JPG

Attachments

• side by side2.JPG
    side by side2.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 78

bps413

Shiny_Rock
With a Tiffany setting you will be able to see the Pavillion of the diamond and therefore may notice the colour more strongly

This is a really good point. Based on the photos I attached in a prior response, do you think the I color will be very noticeable?

Last edited:

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
I would go on what your SA has said, having reviewed them in person. Maybe ask him or her nicely for a second “in person“ viewing by a colleague and their opinion as to whether there is a noticeable difference with the H’s.

jBright

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to PS! You sure seem like you have done your research, your soon to be fiancé is very lucky! I’m a noob around here too so I don’t have much advice.. but to my untrained eyes.. doesn’t the H SI1 look whiter?

bps413

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to PS! You sure seem like you have done your research, your soon to be fiancé is very lucky! I’m a noob around here too so I don’t have much advice.. but to my untrained eyes.. doesn’t the H SI1 look whiter?

In my opinion, H SI1 on the left looks the whitest and was already purchased.

jBright

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion, H SI1 on the left looks the whitest and was already purchased.

Ahhh I see. After seeing the J and my friends J... I’m like maybe I could’ve gone down In color and gotten a bigger stone lol. Although I do love my G. I am obviously not color sensitive as I can see no difference in the other 3 to the right.

bps413

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh I see. After seeing the J and my friends J... I’m like maybe I could’ve gone down In color and gotten a bigger stone lol. Although I do love my G. I am obviously not color sensitive as I can see no difference in the other 3 to the right.

I’m sure your G is absolutely gorgeous. If I had the funds for a G in this size, it would be a done deal. Something to save for with a future upgrade!

bps413

Shiny_Rock
It doesn’t sound like you are comfortable with getting an SI stone.

Wanted to follow up on this. I’m definitely not opposed as long as I don’t see the inclusion with my eye or as the stone is worn daily and dirt builds up.

While I completely trust HPD when they say it is eye clean, I do wonder how that black carbon inclusion under the table will impact things, if at all. Do you have any opinions??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results