shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA Avoid Etsy shop (if it reopens) CosmoGold

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am mad! So I have been in the market for a chunky paperclip chain; bought a really pretty one from a lovely PSer but still wanted one with bigger links. I found a shop on Etsy called CosmoGold that had some that looked really nice and for decent (still high bc gawd gold is ridiculous rn) pricing. I got 18" and asked the gram weight and was told 10g. Got it, and it was 16" links with little loops for an extender that made it more like 17" and it was 7g. At first I thought she sent me the wrong length, but she said it was "16-18". Um no, I just selected "18" in the drop down. Anyway she was still really friendly and apologetic, saying that she could credit me for the extra gram weight or return for refund. I opted to return. I sent signature required, and it was weird bc it tracking said on Sat that delivery failed and location was "not accessible". I wrote and asked her about it; she said that it was bc the building was closed and they would redeliver Mon. Well Mon and Tues came and went and no update to tracking. So I had to call the post office (not fun) and finally learned that the building has a mailroom, that the package is there and that the seller just has to pick it up. That they don't go from suite to suite (you would think the seller would know this?). So I wrote her and told her. No response. Then tracking says delivered so she must have gotten it. No response, no refund. I write again saying I am anxious that I have not heard from her. Nothing; then I click on her name and it says she's no longer a member of Etsy and her shop is closed. I am frustrated and have filed a dispute with my cc company and chatted with Etsy online and they are "escalating". But I feel that they should not have allowed her shop to close if she had transactions that were incomplete. Also, for some reason on Etsy they never say the gram weight of their chains - it's annoying - and it's the second chain I bought where I was told one weight and it was 2-3 g off. So anyway buyer beware. I am also curious if any of you have had success pursing claims like this through Etsy.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! I am sorry to hear this. I despise this kind of rip off/drama!
To answer you, sort of...I have had success pursuing claims for not as described for items *bought* on Etsy, but it was not *through* their platform. It was like you, through my cc. I used my messages and did a screenshot of the listing. You will win your claim with cc backing you.;-)

This is a tip for everyone. The thing about Etsy is when a seller removes a listing, it is like a total disappearing act. Archive.org can't help either. You can sometimes google the listing title and go to google images and the item will show up on a site "gemapp" or something to that effect, and it is just the item itself, not the listing. I have had too many folks trying to scam me and if it is my first time dealing with a seller on etsy, I screenshot just in case.

Conversely, I did get an etsy shop shut down once for trying to scam Hermes Kelly bags. I emailed the seller and asked about their advertised payment plans. Also asked for extra pics. First response was, "LOL, of course. 20% down pay off in 6 months." My spidey senses started to tingle and I was like, um what's the "LOL" for? So, when they sent extra pics of the bag, I recognized the pictures from 1st Dibs. Contacted the seller there who was in Canada and told her unless you are a Nigerian with a Russian name living in France, I kinda think your pics are stolen. We both reported to Etsy and "LOL" the shop was shut down.

Thank you very much for this warning about this shop!!! It will work out for you:)

edited to add:
I have also heard this chain referred to as snail chain or lumachina chain, if that can help you broaden your options to find one. I bought some thin chains (not precious metal) that were referred to by these names.

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I've bought and sold on etsy frequently and the site gets worse and worse with sellers evaporating into thin air. Very frustrating. Scares me from buying - but also scares me about listing personal de-acquisitions there anymore. Not sure what to do. If etsy isn't protecting buyers, what use is it?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@PreRaphaelite exactly. I was chatting online with support and they said "we can refund you asap" then they said "wait since it's a high priced item I need approval" then "ok I'm waiting for supervisor" then "supervisor isn't available we will email you". It does NOT inspire confidence. @luvmysparklies I went ahead an screenshot the message history just to be on the safe side; thanks for the tip. Right now when you click on the shop, you can see it's closed and you cannot even click on the reviews. I cannot find the name of the company online anywhere else either.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome @Mreader
There is a place where you can contact them about help with an order at the bottom of Etsy pages. I would click on the help center and/or the "trust and safety" link. Did the customer service rep provide you with a reference number for your case? If so, great. When ever you get the email from Etsy (I have experienced them being ridiculously slow) --or if you wind up having to follow-up with the help center/trust and safety --you can remind them that you are going through their platform to give them an opportunity to assist you. That you are sure Etsy does not intend to aid and abet theft, as that is what happened here with the seller choosing to shut down their shop, not Etsy.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome @Mreader
There is a place where you can contact them about help with an order at the bottom of Etsy pages. I would click on the help center and/or the "trust and safety" link. Did the customer service rep provide you with a reference number for your case? If so, great. When ever you get the email from Etsy (I have experienced them being ridiculously slow) --or if you wind up having to follow-up with the help center/trust and safety --you can remind them that you are going through their platform to give them an opportunity to assist you. That you are sure Etsy does not intend to aid and abet theft, as that is what happened here with the seller choosing to shut down their shop, not Etsy.

No I didn't get a reference number. Arg. But I think the cc will be the better avenue; I just thought why not cover all bases.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
No worries! You are doing things the correct way. You have evidence demonstrating that you tried to work with the seller who just shut down the shop once she encountered a saavy buyer. Then, as an extra measure, you are demonstrating that you tried to work with the platform through which the purchase was made for remedy.

If you don't mind my asking, did you pay through paypal with the cc as the form of payment or was it paid with cc directly? There is more info I can give you depending on which way. I am happy to help! @Mreader

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that’s so dirty.
I’ve experienced the same thing with a different shop myself. Etsy was able to see that they refused a refund, and Etsy covered my refund.
I hope this gets resolved for you, I’m so sorry

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a jewelry item priced under $50 on Etsy in 2015; seller's shop vanished and item didn't arrive. I filed a claim with Paypal and got my money back.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
No worries! You are doing things the correct way. You have evidence demonstrating that you tried to work with the seller who just shut down the shop once she encountered a saavy buyer. Then, as an extra measure, you are demonstrating that you tried to work with the platform through which the purchase was made for remedy.

If you don't mind my asking, did you pay through paypal with the cc as the form of payment or was it paid with cc directly? There is more info I can give you depending on which way. I am happy to help! @Mreader

Thank you! I paid with PayPal and use the credit card as the form of payment.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, this is really a cut and dry case. But regulations translate to the cc company having to wait the 20 days PP has set up for disputes and that includes chargebacks. You will of course get your conditional credit while your cc investigates. The thing is, credit card companies have done some streamlining. So, it is not as simple as it used to be with chargebacks and there is a chance that *if* the seller does respond, within this 20-day time frame that your cc company will initially close the case in the seller's favor. (This happened to me, and my cc company explained it was just a paypal thing because of these new regulations). BUT, you will get a letter from your credit card company informing you that if you want to continue the dispute, sign the letter and provide all documentation that you have. You will do this and in your written letter back, specify the reason code that you are filing under. If you used a Visa card, your reason codes are: 13.3-Not As Described/or Defective Merchandise Services and 13.5-Misrepresentation. If you used a Mastercard your code is: 4853-Goods/Services Not as described or defective. For AMEX your code is: C31-Goods/Services not as described. Finally, if you used a Discover card: I would use: RM-Cardholder disputes quality of goods or services. You could possibly even use: RG-Non-receipt of goods, services or cash. For this one, you did not receive the goods in the weight and length you paid for. When I did my chargeback and fought the initial ruling, I gave all of my evidence, but also included reason codes in my letter because there were instances of people not specifying the correct reason for the chargeback, and with all this streamlining, got denied. My case was overturned in my favor and I won the chargeback within a week, with the initial credit being made permanent. Just trying to prepare you just in case!

Etsy may come through for you as well though!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Ok, this is really a cut and dry case. But regulations translate to the cc company having to wait the 20 days PP has set up for disputes and that includes chargebacks. You will of course get your conditional credit while your cc investigates. The thing is, credit card companies have done some streamlining. So, it is not as simple as it used to be with chargebacks and there is a chance that *if* the seller does respond, within this 20-day time frame that your cc company will initially close the case in the seller's favor. (This happened to me, and my cc company explained it was just a paypal thing because of these new regulations). BUT, you will get a letter from your credit card company informing you that if you want to continue the dispute, sign the letter and provide all documentation that you have. You will do this and in your written letter back, specify the reason code that you are filing under. If you used a Visa card, your reason codes are: 13.3-Not As Described/or Defective Merchandise Services and 13.5-Misrepresentation. If you used a Mastercard your code is: 4853-Goods/Services Not as described or defective. For AMEX your code is: C31-Goods/Services not as described. Finally, if you used a Discover card: I would use: RM-Cardholder disputes quality of goods or services. You could possibly even use: RG-Non-receipt of goods, services or cash. For this one, you did not receive the goods in the weight and length you paid for. When I did my chargeback and fought the initial ruling, I gave all of my evidence, but also included reason codes in my letter because there were instances of people not specifying the correct reason for the chargeback, and with all this streamlining, got denied. My case was overturned in my favor and I won the chargeback within a week, with the initial credit being made permanent. Just trying to prepare you just in case!

Etsy may come through for you as well though!

Damn all that sounds complex. Do you think I should also do a dispute through PP?

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
The thing is, you have already done the dispute through your credit card company. Paypal will see that you used the cc company first instead of them and won't be inclined to help you. It's just that paypal rules still apply even though you used your cc as the funding source.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Paypal won't be "against you" but with cc chargebacks, they will tell you that they have no say in the matter.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
I opened a claim with paypal this morning. I purchased a ruby ring, wanted to return it because it was so uncomfortable. Returned the ring, took over week for seller to confirm receipt of the return. She stated I would receive a refund within 24 hours, it has again been over a week and no return. I left an honest review of how difficult she has been to communicate with, she demanded I change my review because she is a small growing shop with a dream. Well, be better at communication and you may have a shot! It is $114 ring, just process the refund!

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Small growing shop with a dream...while providing nightmare experiences for the client. SMH...Nice. :-o

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Small growing shop with a dream...while providing nightmare experiences for the client. SMH...Nice. :-o

She just responded that the refund will be issued but to be patient because the shop has been suspended! Guess I am not the only one this happened to.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
@mom2dolls I am so sorry you're going through this hassle. The good thing is you have proof of return and the seller has not claimed any "damage issue" with the ring. In other words, they finally did confirm receipt of the ring. It is not about your patience, paypal has a finite time frame for refunds. You can call them and check status. Sometimes you have to keep saying "agent" because that maddening "siri" voice will keep trying to have you choose one thing or another. Once you speak to a person though, they will document the contact. Once the time frame is up, they will force a refund.

Sometimes, you can just tell them, "Listen, I cannot afford to not have product or my money. Is there a way you can do a courtesy refund and continue to pursue the matter with your seller?" I have done this with success. I don't do it every time, but in a ridiculous situation as this, maybe try and see what happens. ;-)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m processing a PayPal claim currently from an Etsy seller.
It’s a top.
It didn’t turn up and I messaged the seller. No response. I had found out that USPS has suspended international deliveries due to Covid. Mail was being returned to sender.
Then low and behold my top is relisted again in the shop. It’s a one off vintage piece.
I message again, Hullo I see my top was returned to you by USPS and you have already relisted it again for sale so please process me a full refund. No response.
Etsy is not a great place to shop in my opinion. eBay is better for buyers.

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
So sorry to hear about that.
Have bought quite a few items from Etsy myself.
Collectable teddy bears, sterling silver charms, vintage gold jewellery, fine quality porcelain trinket boxed rimmed with 24k gold, collectable vintage mugs with very nice designs.
And these shops have over one thousand positive reviews and have been on Etsy for a long period time and a lot of positive feedback from the buyers.
That's why I chose to buy from them.
Also, there instances where you get burned from Ebay sellers too.
When providing information to Etsy to get your refund make sure you send them images of the purchase and any and all conversations that you have with the seller.
In my honest opinion both Ebay and Etsy are good places to shop.
Be careful when choosing the shop.
1. Look at the feedback ratings of the seller.
2. Look at how long they have been open.
3. Look at the feedback from buyers.
Hope this is settled quickly and in your favour very soon.
Also after I get my item I remove my credit card information just in case the site goes down or shuts down permanently.
This is as a precaution.
This has happened to many a website over the years.
Ebay is having some problems(albeit minor) as well as Etsy.
These are mostly new sellers, not the long time established ones with 100% feedback on their items and 100% positive feedback from buyers.
And in all my years in IT I've seen many a website that offers items for people to buy close their shop and shut their site down.

Last edited:

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
I opened a claim with paypal this morning. I purchased a ruby ring, wanted to return it because it was so uncomfortable. Returned the ring, took over week for seller to confirm receipt of the return. She stated I would receive a refund within 24 hours, it has again been over a week and no return. I left an honest review of how difficult she has been to communicate with, she demanded I change my review because she is a small growing shop with a dream. Well, be better at communication and you may have a shot! It is $114 ring, just process the refund!

Always deal with sellers that have been open for a long time.
I'm leery of the new shops and avoid those when I am looking at buying something.
You'll need to file a dispute also with the site where you bought the ring from and contact customer service.
She certainly should not have demanded that you change your review.
Honesty is always the best policy and she certainly isn't.

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
She just responded that the refund will be issued but to be patient because the shop has been suspended! Guess I am not the only one this happened to.

Suspended! *Ouch!*
That should also help you in getting your money refunded ASAP.
Contact a customer service rep for the site and demand, yes...demand you get your money refunded to you ASAP.
Certainly would not tolerate that myself for a minute!

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
I bought a jewelry item priced under $50 on Etsy in 2015; seller's shop vanished and item didn't arrive. I filed a claim with Paypal and got my money back.

Was that shop opened very long?
I've been a buyer on Etsy since 2015 and that's never ever happened to me.
Always got my items.
Just lucky I guess.
And have bought items from sellers from Etsy in both Canada and the USA.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
omg the seller actually wrote me back and said "open a case with Etsy they will refund you". What?????? STILL waiting for Etsy to get back to me btw. :angryfire:

Dhana

Shiny_Rock
Hi
I just saw a paperclip chain at the real real website. I don't know if that might be of interest

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was that shop opened very long?
I've been a buyer on Etsy since 2015 and that's never ever happened to me.
Always got my items.
Just lucky I guess.
And have bought items from sellers from Etsy in both Canada and the USA.

I don't know how long it was there before it was closed. I had bought from them previously, another low-cost item, and they had shipped on time, so I wasn't expecting to have a problem with my 2nd purchase.

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
omg the seller actually wrote me back and said "open a case with Etsy they will refund you". What?????? STILL waiting for Etsy to get back to me btw. :angryfire:

What?!!!!?
Would not tolerate that at all.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock

I am just now seeing this! What nerve! :x2
Well, just stay the course with your cc chargeback because you're going to win it.
Screenshot and keep this latest correspondence from this scamming seller as another supporting piece of evidence for your chargeback documentation.
I have copied and pasted the relevant Etsy info below, if/when the time comes for you to provide your evidence. That way, you can use what is pasted below for your chargeback documentation. The short version is that counter to what the seller has advised-- you cannot file or escalate a case with Etsy in order for *them* to refund you because the chargeback supersedes everything. By now, the seller is probably aware of your chargeback and is now giving you the runaround. At this stage, your cc company is giving the seller a chance to agree or dispute your chargeback. If this latest message from the seller is also their answer to your cc company, then the seller has just made it easier for your cc company to find in your favor!:)

BTW, in reading the info below, I think the chargeback is the reason you haven't and probably won't hear back from Etsy.

1. Opening a Case​

If you're looking to return an item or get a refund from an order on Etsy, the first thing to do is contact the seller directly. Each seller sets their own shop policies regarding issues like these. If you've reached out to the seller and haven't heard back, or if you're unable to resolve your issue together, you can file what’s known as a “case.” With Etsy’s case system, members work together to resolve disputes around orders that are not delivered or are not as described in the listing.

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

• You must have an Etsy account to open a case. If you purchase an item using guest checkout, you'll have to register for an account on Etsy before you can file a case. Click here for more information.
  • To learn how to open a case for an order placed on an Etsy-powered website, please take a look at this Help article.
  • You can only use one method of dispute resolution against sellers on Etsy. If you have filed a chargeback with your credit card company, you cannot also file a case. If you file a chargeback after opening a case on Etsy, that Etsy case will be closed.
If you've already opened a case, check out this Help article for more details.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@luvmysparklies weirdly despite opening a dispute with cc company I do not see the amount credited. Usually when I do this I immediately see it. I have tried to call about it but wait times are so long. Also, Etsy finally got back to me saying they found in my favor and issued a refund which should show in 2-4 business days. That was yesterday. I am unsure now if that Etsy refund will be affected by the open dispute especially since I don't see a chargeback in the form of a credit.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
@Mreader Oh wow! That is great news about Etsy:dance:. For your refund from etsy, maybe your cc company saw the incoming credit and decided not to credit on top of a pending credit. Try logging on to your account and seeing if there is a pending credit associated with this charge. Actually though,--check paypal since that is the way that you paid. It might be reflected there and then it takes 3-5 business days to land in your cc account.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results