shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Cupcake - Dreamer is right, I totally forgot to mention that I always put Bacitracin on the blister after I open it to make sure I don't end up with an infection. The last thing you want is a milk blister AND mastitis!! I can't remember why the LC said to use Bacitracin instead of Neosporin though.

Lanie - O would get up on his hands and knees and sway back and forth. He could also spin in circles on his stomach. So I guess he wasn't totally stationary, he just couldn't move with intent. I think it helps that he LOVES to be on his tummy. On the other hand, he has zero interest in sitting!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Kunzite|1312693327|2985717 said:
Lanie - O would get up on his hands and knees and sway back and forth. He could also spin in circles on his stomach. So I guess he wasn't totally stationary, he just couldn't move with intent. I think it helps that he LOVES to be on his tummy. On the other hand, he has zero interest in sitting!

same here. when sitting, she wants to grab what is in front of her and just ends up lying doubled over in her lap, then gets angry because she's stuck.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
kunzite -- that's so cool. A will spin too, and can definitely turn to get towards something, but if anything, will push himself backwards. Can Oliver get from a laying down position to a sitting position yet? I love his pictures, by the way! He's so cute!!!

noel -- that's so funny that she gets mad when she's doubled over. My friend's baby does that and we laugh for a good bit, then feel bad and then help her out! Regarding the puffs that we have here, they are great. I will put about 5 of them in front of A and he'll grab for them, but they'll mostly get stuck on/in his hands. About 30% of the time, he can get them inside his mouth. They are perfect though, bc they "melt" really quickly in your mouth, but yes, they have practically no nutritional value. He loves them.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your sweet words about my boys! :halo: thanks about the sleeping!

PUPP, yay for N crawling; that is so awesome!!! He is precious!

NOEL, awww!

TIFFANY, thank you momma; I would love to see pics of your boys!

Lanie, have a great family reunion! can't wait to see your lo's pics!

ALLIE, what a doll baby!!! hehe I love the bear, now wonder he wanted it! super cute pic!

KUNZITE, how old is O now? Oh I am so happy to hear he is crawling; he is such an awesome little guy! He is a doll!!! Yay Oliver! I hope he feels better soon. hugs!

sorry if I missed anyone! Hope you all are having a great weekend! I enjoyed all the baby pics; such darling babies! :love:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Kunztie & Cupcake, my doctor always suggests staying away from Neosporin since some people are VERY allergic to Neosporin. There's Bacatrin or Polysporin, which should be OK.

Hope all you mamas are doing well.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Skye is 8 months today! she and Daddy had bad colds all weekend (not Mommy, though I'm the one with the compromised immune system) and her eyes are seeping gook all the time. the skin around them is a bit red and they don't "open" as wide as usual. anyway, she's very babbly, smiley and happy so I'm just waiting it out.

Lanie - I think most babies push themselves backwards before they learn to move forward. we have rice crackers for babies... is that the same as puffs? I could try breaking it into little pieces and putting them on her tray.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
if you think TV rots your baby's brain, here is a healthier solution:

noelwr8811.jpg

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
Noel- love that pic! That's even more incentive to get a new front loading washer!

Cupcake*Muffin

Shiny_Rock
I don't know if I am draining the milk blister properly. When I poke it (from the side) and lift, I get a little bit of blood. I start pumping and the blister shrinks alittle but stays there. I have tried making multiple punctures around the edge and lifting up. But the blister remains. What am I doing wrong? L gets really frustrating eating on that side since the blister is there and I cannot seem to get rid of the blister or to drain it properly. Any recommendations? It seems like I have had this blister for a month now and cannot get rid of it :( Ugh.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried poking it and then squeezing it? For me there was almost a little cyst with a white head. I popped the white head and then I squeezed from the bottom up towards the surface.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Lanie - If he wanted to he could get to fully sitting from his tummy. He'll do this half sit where he pulls one leg up and then leans forward on both hands. He just won't do it for very long because he will immediatly see something that he wants to go get!

Skippy - Hi mama :wavey: He just turned 9 months!! Boy, it goes by so fast and so slow at the same time!!

LC - Thanks for popping in and letting me know about the Neosporin. I couldn't remember.

Cupcake - Are you sure it's a blister? I've had some that have lasted forever (over a month) and didn't have much liquid under them any more. They get to a point where the liquid sort of hardens and then it just takes time to heal. You should check out Kelly Mom, I think there are pictures on there. I think you're probably just at the point where you have to wait for it to heal on its own. It doesn't sound like anything is left under it for you to drain, just the blister "skin."

Noel - OMG! I swear sometimes that S and O are long lost siblings! I just took these this morning. Mr. Oliver wanted to help me with the laundry, or maybe just play with the whites :cheeky:

IMG_15762.JPG

IMG_15782.JPG

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noel, that pic is hilarious! ...and to think all of the money we spend on toys!

Kunzite, O just gets more and more handsome with time. You take great pics too!

HH, oh the tantrums! They are just getting more frequent. They don't usually last long but man, this kid knows what he wants! DD was such a laid back baby so this is new to me. I swear if this kid could give me the middle finger, he would!

Cupcake, sorry to hear about your blister. I've been pretty fortunate that I've never had one. No advice just sending you hugs. I know how frustrating it can be when you have a BFing roadblock!

Allie, Charlie looks so dang happy with his new bear! He must love his mama and dada for hooking him up!

Lanie, good luck on your trip! No pointers on the crawling. As you know, N didn't crawl until the day before his birthday and he never even got on his hands and knees before that! The way he got around was rolling and sitting. In hindsight, having a baby that wasn't mobile until 1 was so nice. Now that he's moving, I'm so tired. We went to the shoe store this weekend to buy DD new shoes. He wanted to *walk* the whole time so I had to pace the entire store holding one of his hands. Oh, my aching back!

AFU, N was 25lbs13oz (with a full poopie dipey and holding his lovey :bigsmile: ) at his appt and 29.5 inches long. So, he's short and chubby (with a big head to boot!). The doc really wants us to get him off purees completely by 15 months. That seems reasonable to us. It's going to require some work on our part though. I know it doesn't look like it, but this kid is a picky eater. The pedi was supportive of our continued BFing but suggested we still try to get 8-12 ounces of whole milk in N a day. Either that, or try to get those nutrients via food which would be a challenge.

He's not walking as his main mode of transportation yet but he's doing it more and going longer stretches. You just have to hover over him to wait for the fall. That, my friends, is exhausting! He's sleeping like crap at night these days which is suprising because he has to be pooping himself out!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Skye surprised us on her 8 month birthday...

I put her on her tummy in her play pen so that we could sit down for dinner. while eating, I looked over at her and her head was sticking out over the rails. she had managed to get herself into a sitting position! we have no idea how she did that and it's probably one of those things that won't happen again for another 2 months.

Kunzite - that's so cool that S and O seem to do all their stuff at the same time. talking about laundry, DH decided we should bounce Skye up and down in the bed sheets (guess he found that more interesting than folding them), and she loved it! I'd probably recommend doing it with a towel more than clean sheets, though.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
*sigh* Today is a really hard day for me. A fellow September '10 mom I know from thebump and FB had to say goodbye to her baby girl early this morning. Baby A has been in the hospital since birth and her family had to make the tough choice to let her go. I'm having such a hard time coping with it, even though it's not my own baby. I feel such deep loss for them and I feel guilty. Guilty for having a healthy baby, guilty for living a life they haven't been able to for the last 11 months and guilty that I'll get to see Aidan grow up and they wont have that with A. They live relatively close to me, in the next state over, so I would love to go to the memorial if I can.I'm hoping it's not this weekend because I'll be out of town :(sad

Hold your babies tight today mamas.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HH, you're not alone. I feel so deeply affected when someone loses their child. Sometimes I wonder why I subject myself to even reading about those things. Before I jumped ship on the baby center boards, a mom in my birth club lost her baby at 22 weeks. I STILL think about it over a year later. It just isn't fair.

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
HH- I will give them an extra squeeze. I totally understand how you feel, I'm an RN in a pediatric intensive care unit and I have had so many mixed feelings since returning to work post babies- it alternates from feeling guilty and so horrible for these parents when I have healthy children at home to anxiety that something horrible is going to happen to my own babies. Losing a child is so unfair. I hope you can go to the memorial.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
HH~ You're so not alone. I was lying in bed feeling guilty too. Obviously I didn't know anything about A until you posted, but I was overwhelmed with grief too. I cried off an on for a couple hours and prayed a lot. It's such a devastating thought to lose a child and as a mother your heart goes out to the mother who's losing her precious baby. Logically, there is no reason to feel guilty. But, when you get to hold your LO and she doesn't, it sure can make you feel that way.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
SS I actually thought of you and Lily while all of this was going on and I was thanking God that you were able to address and treat her cardiac issues early on and successfully.

What's so unfair was As condition was something she should have been able to recover from with surgery. But they tore her esophagus and she had other complications that ultimately took her from us. And she was doing so well at Boston Children's that they transferred her to a CH closer to home. The transfer is what started her ultimate decline. The change in doctors, protocol, conflicts in treatment philosophies. Ultimately she paid the price for other people's decisions. It's just so sad :(

SS-would you mind editing to remove A's name from your post? It's a unique name and I'd be horrified if I found out our conversation about this came up in a google search or something.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
cupcake*muffin|1312813419|2986413 said:
I don't know if I am draining the milk blister properly. When I poke it (from the side) and lift, I get a little bit of blood. I start pumping and the blister shrinks alittle but stays there. I have tried making multiple punctures around the edge and lifting up. But the blister remains. What am I doing wrong? L gets really frustrating eating on that side since the blister is there and I cannot seem to get rid of the blister or to drain it properly. Any recommendations? It seems like I have had this blister for a month now and cannot get rid of it :( Ugh.

Like H Hsaid, you need to prick the TIP of the blister to basically open it, then squeeze. Like popping a zit.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
HH, I am so sorry for your friend and the family. I can't imagine. ;( My heart goes out to them. Life is so precious. sending you a hug.

NOEL, yay for Skye, happy 8 mos!!!

TIFFANY, aww, hugs friend. That would be so tough to see. I remember there was a baby in the NICU that they couldn't do any more surgeries and the parents just took her home and prayed. I can't imagine. I would go home every night praying for the NICU babies and my sons.

SS, hugs momma to you and Lily.

PUPP, Wow, he has grown so much! aw, that is so cute he has a lovey! hope he feels better!

KUNZITE, wow, time flew!!! He is so precious!!! Go O Go! Hope he feels better soon, poor little one! Did your NICU recommend getting him the Synagis shot during RSV season? I am going to talk to our ped about it; I am undecided.

AFM, nothing too exciting. It is getting cooler in the wee hours of the morning so it is hard to get out of bed to feed the boys (I sort of feel like a bad momma admitting that). I noticed when it is warmer out it isn't so bad but now that it is cooling off I want to stay in the warm bed. I just need to pull out the space heater and my big fluffy robe. Anyone going on vacation before the end of summer, anywhere fun? Hope everyone is safe and having a good week! :wavey: I can't wait to see all the New mommas join this thread too!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
NOEL, hope your lo and hubby feels better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh I forgot to mention that both boys are laughing and smiling!!! :love: It is CRAZY CUTE to see! It makes a mom proud :D I bet your lo make your heart beam when you see that Mommas! :wavey:

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy---already getting cold where you live! We are still in the 100's here...I wish it would cool off (and get some rain---the Great Dismal Swamp is on fire here). And yeah for baby smiles and laughs---makes those cold wake-ups so worth it!

The pictures are too die for! PS has the cutest babies!

I read here everyday but just don't post---bad mommy!

AFM: Violet had her 4 month well baby check today. She is 12 lbs 8 oz (25%) 23 1/2 inches (23%) and her head is tiny like her brothers..15 1/2 (11%)....

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
pupp - Happy birthday to N!!!! I want to see pictures from the robot party!! :wink2: I'm curious what your pedi's reasoning was on getting him to take cow's milk.

HH - Giant hugs mama, so sad.

Skippy - We did give O the Synagis. Can I ask why you're undecided? It's an antibody, not a vaccine, and as far as I know there aren't really any serious reactions. RSV can be really serious in preemies so we didn't hesitate to give it to him. The only bad side effect we had was the wait for the shot, lol! It's sooooo expensive so they won't premake it, they have to weigh the baby and then go mix it to the exact amount needed.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kunzite, I think my pedi gave me the standard pedi response re: cow's milk. I feel like he wasn't really thinking outside the box. He still nurses so he doesn't really *need* it from what I've researched. When I pressed him, he agreed that it isn't necessary but is nutritious. I'm learning that pedis often seem to be in the dark about extended breastfeeding (or breastfeeding at all for that matter) - I don't know if that's by choice or what. I really love my practice otherwise so I just let that stuff go in one ear and out the other.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Happy Birthday, N!!!

HH~ I saw your request yesterday after it was too late for me to edit my post. I did msg admin to request that they remove it.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
puppmom -- ditto on pics from robot party!

For mommies with babies around 7-9 months (or BTDT moms), what is your feeding schedule? I've seen some on searches on PS and I'm so confused on how you come up with a good schedule. Right now, we only eat 2 times a day (if we're lucky) and I give him a smaller bottle before those feedings. I'm realizing that no one else does this. So this is my new schedule I gave daycare to try out. We will probably tweak, but wanted to see what you girls do or if you have any comments on mine:

7 -- 6 ounce bottle at home
7:30 -- food at daycare (fruit/rice cereal)
10:30 -- 6 ounce bottle
12:40 -- food (anything really)
3 -- 6 ounce bottle
6 -- 4 ounce bottle + food

My goal is to get to the "normal" 3 meals a day and start cutting down on bottles. They said he was really hungry at 3pm, and when I tried feeding him at 6pm, he hardly ate.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Lanie - Here is our current schedule. Basically, baring naps and whatnot, O is scheduled to eat every two hours or so. Usually during the day somewhere he gets a little late on his schedule so his last solids and bottle are closer together but he doesn't seem to mind.

6:30 - 5oz bottle
8:30 - solids (usually a fruit mix with oatmeal)
10:30 - 5oz bottle
12:30 - solids
2:30 - 5oz bottle
4:30 - solids
6:30 - 5oz bottle

This was the best way we could find to get at least 20 ounces in the kid and still get him to eat three full meals of solids.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
OK Kunzite -- totally not knocking you, bc what you are doing is what 2 of my friends in real life are doing. Isn't every 2 hours so time consuming???? I thought newborns eating every 3 was a lot, but this is even more! Everywhere I look online says about what you are saying. I guess I thought my goal of reducing his liquid intake would also mean stretching him out farther between meals, but I guess that isn't the case? Do you know what I mean? Before solids, I was feeding him every 3 hours like clockwork. And I would try to space it out to every 3.5 or 4, but he wouldn't do it. So I thought, well, once I start solids, maybe that will space him out more.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, not time consuming at all. You're forgetting that newborns eat every three hours around the clock... and take forever! O will down each of those meals in less than 10 minutes each. Especially the fruit/oatmeal, he loooooooves that combo!! It's probably done in two minutes flat!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
Lanie - here is Skye's schedule. I try to match what they do at day care, but it isn't always easy as she seems to nap at different times at home, and I let her sleep in.

7:00 - oatmeal bottle
9:45 - fruit + sippy cup water
11:30 - bread with margarine + paté/spread + sippy cup water
somewhere between 12:30 - 14:00 - bottle (though at home the bottle and bread often get switched around)
15:00 - cookie + sippy cup water
16:00 - bread stick + sippy cup water
17:30 - dinner (veggies + meat + pasta/potato/rice) + bread + sippy cup water
19:30 - oatmeal bottle

I think by 7 months they should be getting 20 oz milk per day. the other 12 should be water/tea/juice. however, Skye drinks very little water, though we are constantly offering it to her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results