shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs, like I said I think at bedtime or for extreme cases (like when she is teething really bad or out of control in public). I do have a friend who''s 2.5 year old ALWAYS has his binky in. I try not to judge other people''s parenting choices *but* for me that would NOT be okay. I think I started trying to limit the paci around 6 months or so. Before that she did have it in often b/c she was not a happy infant.

I hate to say thing b/c I am SURE it is not true but she learns stuff from TV. She has said some spanish words from Dora. Learned songs and dances. Bottom line I am sure she gets sick of me all day so I think a show or two a day is not a big deal. If she was in daycare I doubt she would really watch any.

TGal, the TV is awesome for keeping them still. I use it to cut her nails and sometimes to get her to eat more. Guess she is not paying attention once the TV is on. Haha.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 1:06:43 PM
Author: janinegirly
Mrs: we''re supposed to get DH''s something for Father''s Days?..oops. Haha. I''ll probably just do a nice card and breakfast. We''re not that big on presents. My b''day is that week anyway, so he better be focused on that!

As for TV, I think no looking at TV in first 2 years is too extreme and unrealistic for most. I don''t place C in front of the TV to watch by any means (she''s too little to really watch, she just looks since the screen is large so the faces are lifesized sometimes!). But it''s on in the background now and then (particularly the family room which doubles as playroom) and in our bedroom in the A.M when we are getting ready or I''m feeding her before bed.

Once in awhile I put her on my lap while I check email..I wonder if there is similar advice about PC''s! ;-) That also doesn''t last long since she pushes buttons which delete my emails!
I don''t think the recommendation is for no looking, but actually sitting there and watching baby programs. Which is still pretty unrealistic for most. Even the non-TV watcher that I am, Amelia has already gotten exposure.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 1:10:44 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Mrs, like I said I think at bedtime or for extreme cases (like when she is teething really bad or out of control in public). I do have a friend who''s 2.5 year old ALWAYS has his binky in. I try not to judge other people''s parenting choices *but* for me that would NOT be okay. I think I started trying to limit the paci around 6 months or so. Before that she did have it in often b/c she was not a happy infant.

I hate to say thing b/c I am SURE it is not true but she learns stuff from TV. She has said some spanish words from Dora. Learned songs and dances. Bottom line I am sure she gets sick of me all day so I think a show or two a day is not a big deal. If she was in daycare I doubt she would really watch any.

TGal, the TV is awesome for keeping them still. I use it to cut her nails and sometimes to get her to eat more. Guess she is not paying attention once the TV is on. Haha.
Unfortunately, this is why we did expose Amelia to TV. You know she is in OT for eating issues and I found that once the TV was on, she''s eat a LOT more. Fortunately, I have found a happy compromise that works most days...I use the cable music channel (toddler tunes) and those are only still pictures. But some days, only TV will work (fortunately, few and far between) and the OT said that was fine as long as she was willingly eating. That is why I borrowed the baby einstein - I had nothing for her when I needed it and some of the stuff on Toon and Nick are not OK for her to watch!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tgal, it''s all about Noggin.
2.gif
I agree some cartoons on other networks are for adults NOT children. But everything on Noggin is geared to preschoolers.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
We''ve put Kyle in front of the TV to watch the Babies Can Read DVDs, but we don''t do it that often. Otherwise he just gets it a bit when we''re watching something.

Father''s Day
6.gif
I think I''m going to have DH''s truck detailed, but I want to get him a little something from the baby too. I was thinking a cheesy "World''s Best Dad" coffee cup or something like that. Any other ideas out there? He took me to an amazing dinner without the baby for Mother''s Day.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 1:38:23 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Tgal, it''s all about Noggin.
2.gif
I agree some cartoons on other networks are for adults NOT children. But everything on Noggin is geared to preschoolers.
I remember you saying that, but I don''t think I have Noggin. I don''t know where any of the stations are because I don''t watch TV!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Just a quick butt-in to Tgal: I live in L.A., and I think if you have Time Warner (we do), they have Noggin. I think Dish and Direct TV may not.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 3:13:38 PM
Author: AmberWaves
Just a quick butt-in to Tgal: I live in L.A., and I think if you have Time Warner (we do), they have Noggin. I think Dish and Direct TV may not.
OK, I''ll look for it, but I am almost sure we don''t have the package that has it. Thanks Amber!

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 3:15:28 PM
Author: TravelingGal

OK, I''ll look for it, but I am almost sure we don''t have the package that has it. Thanks Amber!

Was Noggin one of the stations that were in jeopardy of being cancelled under TimeWarner?
(I remember Tacori saying something a while back)

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 3:21:06 PM
Author: lili

Was Noggin one of the stations that were in jeopardy of being cancelled under TimeWarner?

The show I put on for S this morning while I was posting was on Noggin. Tgal, if you have Time Warner, go to In Demand and then select "kids" and you''ll find free Noggin shows there if you want to check it out.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 1:10:37 PM
Date: 6/10/2009 12:59:11 PM

Author: Mrs

ETA: Tgal, thanks for reply. Good points on both the paci and TV fronts. I think I''ll try not to let her watch too much TV since I worry about it being a crutch but I''m not going to stress about the paci. I hadn''t thought about air travel and how the sucking could help - very smart! She''ll be flying to the east coast for my bros wedding when she''s 6 mos old so having the paci then would probably not be such a bad thing. Thanks again!

And on that note, do you have any clothing with a long ''string?'' I had a maternity top I used which had a long drawstring around the empire waist. I used it to tie to the paci holder because I did not want that thing to go flying/spat out when we were buckled in the seats on a descent and unable to go and wash the paci. And bring a bottle of water (or ask for one on the plane since you can''t really bring water from home through security) in case you DO have to wash the thing because there was no way I was going to use airplane sink water (and I''m not a germophobe!)

If you''re breast feeding, that would work better, btw, but I didn''t have that option.

Great idea about the string Tgal! I just bought her something at target yesterday that is designed to clip a pacifier to your child''s clothing so that might work too.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 1:08:47 PM
Author: curlygirl
Mrs, my daughter Lily used the pacifier until 2 weeks before her 2nd birthday! She really only used it at night, at times when she was in an unfamiliar location or doing something out of the ordinary and of course, to soothe herself when she had breakdowns!! She slowly became less and less dependent on it--I know she wasn''t using it at all during the day at daycare and at night, she would almost always take it out of her mouth after she went to sleep. Sometimes she would just suck on it for a few minutes and then say, ''all done'' and give it to us. So right before she turned 2, I decided it was time to get rid of all the pacifiers in the house. She woke up one morning and they were all gone. She asked for it a few times during the day and then at night before bed but she already knew the response and told ME, ''wawa gone, mommy'' (we called it a wawa, that''s what I called mine as a baby). Anyway, after about 2 days, it was not even an issue! And now it''s been almost 2 months and she never mentions it. I insisted that she not have one at her 2nd birthday party--that was my goal and I achieved it! We probably would have stopped it earlier but since we gave her a baby sister when she was 17 months old, we didn''t want to disrupt her life with any other big changes for a while after that! I have to say that she was always social and talkative but as soon as we got rid of the pacis, she''s become even more of a chatterbox if that''s possible and seems much more relaxed in general, like it was a crutch for her. I don''t think you have to rush it right now because I think they can be lifesavers but give yourself a goal and stick to it. I thought it would be much harder than it was.

The funny thing is that Lucy, my little one, NEVER took a pacifier. I tried as hard as I could but she just doesn''t want to have anything to do with it. Go figure! At least it''s one less thing to worry about getting rid of!
3.gif

Regarding tv, we used to have it on most of the time as background noise but Lily now tells us, ''TV OFF'' so we listen to her! It''s hardly ever on anymore but not by choice!! She used to watch Sesame Street and Jack''s Big Music Show but by watch I mean that she would tune in for a few minutes and then move on to the next thing. Believe me, there are times when I would love for her to just plop down in front of the tv and give me a break but she doesn''t dig it! Lucy doesn''t seem that interested yet either but probably because it''s not really on that much! I don''t see a lot of harm in it as long as they aren''t glued to it 24/7. And I actually believe that they can learn a great deal from watching educational shows like Sesame Street. I love it!

Curly, thanks for your reply! I''m so glad you found weaning Lily of her paci easier than you expected! That''s too funny that she wont let you have the TV on! Why do you think that is?

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Another mom of a paci-lover here!! T only gets hers in her crib for sleep. When I go get her she actually takes it out of her mouth and throws it in her crib before she gets out. I am not stressed about it. My plan is to have her paci-free by 2. A

As for TV-T watches during her nebulizer treatment. I have "Sesame Street" and "Yo Gabba Gabba" DVRed so I just play those for her. She loves the characters and talks and sings and dances (which nebulizer mask on and all) while she watches. She also watches one of those shows here or there during the day if she''s tired. She loves it, but doesn''t have a great attention span so 10 minutes is about her max which is perfect.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 3:37:08 PM

Date: 6/10/2009 1:10:37 PM

Date: 6/10/2009 12:59:11 PM

ETA: Tgal, thanks for reply. Good points on both the paci and TV fronts. I think I''ll try not to let her watch too much TV since I worry about it being a crutch but I''m not going to stress about the paci. I hadn''t thought about air travel and how the sucking could help - very smart! She''ll be flying to the east coast for my bros wedding when she''s 6 mos old so having the paci then would probably not be such a bad thing. Thanks again!

And on that note, do you have any clothing with a long ''string?'' I had a maternity top I used which had a long drawstring around the empire waist. I used it to tie to the paci holder because I did not want that thing to go flying/spat out when we were buckled in the seats on a descent and unable to go and wash the paci. And bring a bottle of water (or ask for one on the plane since you can''t really bring water from home through security) in case you DO have to wash the thing because there was no way I was going to use airplane sink water (and I''m not a germophobe!)

If you''re breast feeding, that would work better, btw, but I didn''t have that option.

Great idea about the string Tgal! I just bought her something at target yesterday that is designed to clip a pacifier to your child''s clothing so that might work too.
Sounds good! I just found so many of those clips are so short to get into their mouths while clipped on, since there is paranoia of strangulation!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 3:33:52 PM

Date: 6/10/2009 3:21:06 PM

The show I put on for S this morning while I was posting was on Noggin. Tgal, if you have Time Warner, go to In Demand and then select ''kids'' and you''ll find free Noggin shows there if you want to check it out.
Thanks ladies, I will go look. We don''t have a cable box on our main TV, only a cable card, so no on demand. But I will find out where the station is.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
35.gif
Hello to my mommy friends. I have *ahem* yet another totally me-centric post today.

I went for some tests yesterday at the hospital and they found a blood clot in my left calf. It starts right behind the knee and then goes about halfway down my calf. I was in excruciating pain on Monday and I''m so glad my doctor sent me to have it checked further. I didn''t show any other signs of a clot so we''re kind of surprised. Anyways, I''m on two blood thinners and some pain meds but I''m expected to make a full recovery. I''m on a sort of modified bedrest for a week though since my muscle is also injured.

Basically, I injured my calf over Memorial Day weekend by sitting in a chair for a bit too long and it caused my calf to cramp up. Blood rushed there for that and then I took my bc pills as usual. They caused the clot so now I can''t take them anymore - never - not for the rest of my life. Ugh. I just switched to generic Seasonale and was loving not having my period
15.gif
Oh well, at least we now know what is going on and I should be better soon.

Re: TV and babies. James doesn''t watch tv per se, but if it''s on sometimes it will catch his eye. We don''t let him watch tv on his own though. At daycare our sitter doesn''t allow tv except on Friday afternoons - one half-hour video only.

Re: Paci use. James never used one but we did try when he was wee little. He just doesn''t really put anything in his mouth so no biggie. He''s pretty good at self-soothing.

I hope to be back to my normal posting soon!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
That''s horrible Diva! At least they found out what it was before it caused any permanent damage. I hope it goes away and you''re better soon!

I got the Mirena IUD since I didn''t want to worry about pills, it''s OK so far, just 7 weeks of spotting
20.gif
... it should get better though. Would that be an option for you?

lili

Ideal_Rock
Diva
That''s horrible! Good thing your doctor had it checked further and caught it before any permanent damages are incurred.
I hope you feel better soon. So does that mean you can''t be on birth control pills or just this particular brand?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 12:02:25 PM

After she ate I held her in my arms in front of me and looked in her eyes and she gave me the most wonderful smiles. It made me cry. She''s just the most beautiful person and I feel so fortunate to have her here... motherhood is hard but it''s such a blessing!
That''s what I am talking about! See she is doing it already!

Question about pacis: How reliant are you all on pacis during the day? I had planned to take the paci away at 4 months or so since I read in The Happiest Baby on the Block that that is a wise time to do so since weaning them of the paci later can be really hard. BUT, I''m finding that we both rely on the paci more than I had thought we would. She really likes to suck and sometimes it''s the only thing that will sooth her. And other times, I''m not able (or don''t want) to sooth her any other way. Ex: this morning after I dressed her, I put her in her swing while I showered and when I got out she was fussing and crying but I was still undressed and all wet so I just gave her her paci which soothed her and by the time I was dressed and had my make up on, she was asleep... another ex: as I''m typing this, she''s awake but sucking on her paci and if it falls out she sometimes starts to fuss so I give it back to her. I also find that she needs it to fall asleep during the day but not in the middle of the night. Part of me thinks it''s fine to let her keep in for longer than 4 months since breaking her of the paci habit later would probably be easier than breaking her of a thumb sucking habit... but if I take it away and she does start sucking her thumb, that would make my life easier since I wont have to keep giving her paci back when it falls out. your thoughts?
I use the paci in all the same circumstances that you use it. I try not to just stick it in there randomly and all the time, but sometimes he needs soothing and I don''t or can''t help him out. He likes his hands a lot, but it is a little stimulating for him to suck on them right now. Maybe when he is older? I wouldn''t worry about using the paci. There''s too many other important things to think about IMHO.

question about TV: do any of you find that your LO is fascinated by the TV? Sometimes if she''s fussing like crazy and I know she''s not hungry or sleepy, I''ll turn on the TV and it''s just enough distraction to get her to stop crying. She was fussing a bunch a few minutes ago so I sat her in her vibrating chair which is in view of the TV and turned on a cartoon for her so that I could finish this post... is that terrible??
Not terrible. I haven''t used the TV really as a tool yet, but he is really facinated by it. Acutally, the TV is rarely on here during the day. I spend more time on PS than watching TV and when I am on here if Hunter is awake he is usually playing with his playmat or a toy on the bed besdie me. Do what ya gotta do. Obviously you are a thoughtful parent so I''m sure you are doing great.

another question: do any of your LOs seem to cry while they are sleeping. Sometimes S seems to cry in her sleep - it''s like she must be gassy or having tummy pains which sometimes don''t bother her enough to wake her up but she will cry. It breaks my heart... YEsterday she was napping in her swing and she started wailing and just when I was about to get her up, she stopped and continued to sleep.
Hunter does this all the time. We have a great video of him freaking out like a maniac and then falling asleep again! It is priceless! Maybe they are dreaming?

questions for pet owners: how are your pets doing? Are you able to give them as much attention as you''d like? I ask since one of my cats died suddenly last week and it was so sad but I realized that I hadn''t been paying nearly as much attention to him as I used to... I wonder if I had been, if I might have seen the signs of his illness soon enough to get him help such that he would still be here with us... In any case, y other cat is being super loving and needy now and I ''m not sure if it''s because he misses his brother or if I''m just more attuned to him since I feel so guilt about not having been as attuned to his brother. Just wondering how you all make pet ownership and parenthood work.
I definitely have less attention for the dogs.. .we have two miniature long haired dachshunds. But although I don''t dote on them the same way they end up getting more attention now that I am home. In the morning DH lets them out and then gates them in the kitchen and I usually go downstairs around 9 or 10 to let them out. Then they follow me around all day and basically get in the way
3.gif
They get a walk most days with me and Hunter -- you should see people''s reactions to me coming down the street with my stroller and the dogs on their double leash. I always try to guess whether a particular person is going to make a fuss over the baby or the dogs. But yeah, I have thought about how I am not as obsessed with them. Now that Hunter is getting older and interacting with the dogs more, though, I think I am still really glad we have them, even though they are annoying sometimes. Like when they eat his dirty bibs
14.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 12:07:07 PM
Mrs: i wouldn''t overly worry about the paci--it is soothing to them, and is actually a life saver for me alot of the times. Especially during the teething moments or when she can''t quite sleep. I''m not following any books though...the only thing I make sure is that she doesn''t have it in her mouth for long periods whens he is happy (so she can talk!) or at nights (ie fall asleep with it for long periods). My DD is also fascinated with the TV. And the remote. She gets mad when I take it away and pushes one particular button on a regular basis that messes up the cable and DH has to come and reset...
LOL! Your daughter sounds so funny... I love the way you describe her I picture an enthusiastic troublemaker! Your stories about how she plays with her play mat also cracked me up (attacking her giraffe, lol!)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 12:23:27 PM
Author: MustangGal
Mrs.- I also used the paci more than I thought I would, but the last several weeks Kyle has gotten much better about needing it. Now he''ll pretty much only take it when he''s ready to sleep. Other times he''ll suck on his hands/arms, and he''s really liking to hols things like a bib, burb rag, etc and pull those things up to his mouth.
Hunter does this too now, it is hilarious! He loves to put things in his mouth. He only really started doing is 2 or 3 weeks ago and now it is everythng in the mouth time!

I also found mats in my dogs fur that were aweful!
14.gif
I finally took the time to groom them the other day while Hunter napped, I had to cut huge amounts of hair!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 1:06:43 PM
Mrs: we''re supposed to get DH''s something for Father''s Days?..oops. Haha. I''ll probably just do a nice card and breakfast. We''re not that big on presents. My b''day is that week anyway, so he better be focused on that!
hahah... I like the way you think! I think I will let DH go golfing for fathers day with his dad, that''s about all I can muster.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 5:11:36 PM
I got the Mirena IUD since I didn''t want to worry about pills, it''s OK so far, just 7 weeks of spotting
20.gif
Argh this get''s me thinking about birth control
14.gif

If people don''t mind sharing, what are you doing/using? I don''t really want to go on the pill because I didn''t like its effects on my body and we have sex so infrequently it seems silly to try to prevent it every day of the month
2.gif

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
When we are DTD again (which seems like never) we will use condoms. I hate them, but I hate the pill more.

Speaking of DTD, Alila is 6 weeks today and I feel nowhere CLOSE to being ready. How is it even supposed to fit in there?? I don't get the logistics! My doc appointment is on Monday so we'll see what she says. My theme song should be "Like A Virgin".

ETA: Oh and I got DH that Omni Dual Power Saw that you see on TV. He guessed that I got him that and I played it off.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 6:22:48 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Date: 6/10/2009 5:11:36 PM
20.gif
Argh this get''s me thinking about birth control
14.gif

If people don''t mind sharing, what are you doing/using? I don''t really want to go on the pill because I didn''t like its effects on my body and we have sex so infrequently it seems silly to try to prevent it every day of the month
2.gif
I''m using the withdrawl method.

He touches me, I withdraw.

(Can you call it the recoil method?)

Kidding. Pill, so I''m no help, but I didn''t BF.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 6:35:46 PM

LOL.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again for all your replies re: Paci, TV, & pets!

diva, I''m so glad you''re okay! Blood clots can be deadly! Bummer that you wont be able to use the pill for contraception anymore though. I hope you feel better soon!

DD, I hope you''re right about S starting to do what H does after nursing! I''m glad to hear your using the paci like I do. I''m on PS more than I watch TV too but I find that sometimes I turn the TV on FOR HER since it distracts her from whatever fit she''s throwing so that she''ll stop fussing... I don''t know what''s worse - letting her cry, OR turning on the TV since it''s the only thing I haven''t tried to get her to stop... That''s funny that you got a video of Hunter crying like that and then passing out! It sounds like your dogs are still being very well cared for. they''re lucky to have you as their mom.

re: contraception - we''re using condoms (which I hate) when we DTD which isn''t all that often since I''m never in the mood and my body doesn''t cooperate well - think zero natural lube and milk squirting everywhere... yeah. fun stuff... sorry if that''s TMI! I think we''ll likely keep using them until I wean S off breast milk since I''m nervous to go on the pill given that some people experience decreased supply from it. We may even continue with condoms after than since I''m thinking we''ll try for another baby sooner than later and my cycle is so weird as it is, I''d rather let it self regulate than get on the pill for less than a year.

Courtney, don''t worry about DTD yet! I felt just like you did at 6 weeks. Take your time with it and eventually you''ll feel ready. Good work playing it cool when DH guessed what you''d gotten him. You''re a good wife! Mine totally knows what he''s getting since he basically told me what he wanted and I was all, "Okay! DONE!" oh well.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 6:37:49 PM

LOL.

HA! Too funny

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 7:08:00 PM

Date: 6/10/2009 6:37:49 PM

LOL.

HA! Too funny
Double haha.

ETA Or is it triple? Mommy brain

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
DIVA I''m so sorry about your clot!! My friend had one too from bcp in her neck and it was so scary for her. I''m so sorry and glad you are ok!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results